GinoNiña

Utah online marriage vs K1, CR1, ....

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anybody here who used this route and got a successful result using Utah online marriage to bring their loved ones from Philippines to the US? This sounds like the most logical process compare to using K1 at the moment. 

Utah online marriage looks like still in its infancy though, it started about a year ago. 

I just read one debate about this issue here and the comments are mixed. 

I-129F applicant

NOA1 received @03/31/2022

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Just be aware that USCIS will not recognize the marriage until you have been in the presence of each other either during or after the ceremony.  Other than that, it works.

I’m going back there this coming August. Do you know if Rapid visa can help me on this?

5 minutes ago, GinoNiña said:

Utah online marriage to bring their loved ones from Philippines to the US

Just to be clear -- it is not "Utah online marriage vs CR1", but "Utah online marriage + CR1" to bring someone over to the US.  For a foreigner married via Utah online wedding and living outside the US, a CR1 visa is still required to immigrate.

To reiterate what @Crazy Cat said above, note that the couple must have documentary evidence of being physically together during or after the online wedding before they are eligible to file the I-130 petition to start the CR1 process.

Just now, GinoNiña said:

I’m going back there this coming August.

If you're ok to start over with a new petition, go for it.  We have reports from other VJ members who successfully completed the CR1 process after a Utah online wedding.

21 minutes ago, GinoNiña said:

I’m going back there this coming August. Do you know if Rapid visa can help me on this?

I agree with @Boiler, why not wait until you go in August and get married then? Because even if you did the online marriage now, you can not file anything for her until you go over there and meet her in person which will be in August.

I-129F applicant

NOA1 received @03/31/2022

You do know that once you marry that you would no longer be eligible for that K1 you just filed for? This is extremely important as you will be starting all over with the spousal visa

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I am a firm believer in keeping it simple where possible

Why not marry in August?

By going to this route, online marriage, would speed up the process for her to come here. Shes going to be ahead of the line. She going to be in CR1 visa status.  CR1 visa is being process by the hundreds in Manila monthly compare to K1. 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I am a firm believer in keeping it simple where possible

Why not marry in August?

You mean Utah online wedding while being physically together in the Philippines, right? 😁  Getting a Utah marriage license is actually simpler than getting a Philippine one.  Along with other requirements, applicants for a Philippine marriage license must attend a family planning/marriage counseling seminar.  That means waiting several days or even weeks just to be able to get a license.

Utah online wedding --

• Faster to get marriage license
  • Faster to get marriage certificate (digital certificate after the ceremony)
  • Extra process to file Report of Marriage (ROM) with the Philippine consulate in San Francisco, but this can be done after filing the I-130 petition

Philippine-licensed wedding --

• Couple must attend family planning/marriage counseling seminar prior to wedding
  • May take weeks or months to get PSA-issued marriage certificate
  • No need to file for ROM

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You mean Utah online wedding while being physically together in the Philippines, right? 😁  Getting a Utah marriage license is actually simpler than getting a Philippine one.  Along with other requirements, applicants for a Philippine marriage license must attend a family planning/marriage counseling seminar.  That means waiting several days or even weeks just to be able to get a license.

Utah online wedding --

• Extra process to file Report of Marriage (ROM) with the Philippine consulate in San Francisco, but this can be done after filing the I-130 petition

• Couple must attend family planning/marriage counseling seminar prior to wedding

Exactly. Thanks for  your enlightenments. Did you use this route or someone you knew went with this? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Utah online wedding --

The few Utah marriages I have come across have been fine but wondered if that is a given, not enough data

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

The few Utah marriages I have come across have been fine but wondered if that is a given, not enough data

Yup, still a novel concept.  In any case, for those who are not in any rush, getting a Philippine marriage license is not so bad.  Attending a short seminar could be worthwhile, if only to avoid the hassle of filing for ROM.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Chancy said:

No one can guarantee that someone who starts the CR1 process in August will get a visa faster than someone who started the K1 process in March.  There are so many variables involved, like USCIS processing time and NVC submission errors by the applicant.  I recommend not focusing on timeframe estimates as they are just speculation, never guaranteed.

The indisputable advantage of choosing CR1 over K1 is that the CR1 visa holder will gain permanent resident status, with authorization to work and travel freely, immediately after entering the US.

Noted. Good point.  I received my Noa1 on 03/31/2022.. my fiancée visa application is already in the system for 5 months come August. Base on VJ projection on K1 visa which is about 15 months, all I needed is 10 months. 
Now If I ditched K1 and switch to cr1, it might take me more than 10 months.  I have to think about this real hard. 

13 minutes ago, GinoNiña said:

Now If I ditched K1 and switch to cr1, it might take me more than 10 months.  I have to think about this real hard. 

Spousal visas are taking about 18 to 24 months on average. Remember, if you get married, you have to start all over from square one with a spousal visa. They do not add the time from the K1 petition to the spousal petition. You'd be starting over with a new timeline.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.