powerpuff

Stimulus payment not approved

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
27 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

I’m aware of this. It’s on IRS and concerns filing taxes in general, not just a stimulus check. As a spouse of a US citizen, I can choose to be elected as a resident for tax purposes without meeting the substantial present test. Plenty of people who arrived and married in 2021 received their stimulus checks because of that.

if u had the SS # and were married ,  u qualify without a green card 

and i  was not aware of the SS# till your last post

In order to qualify for the payments, you must be either a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or a qualifying resident alien, and have a Social Security number.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/are-immigrants-eligible-for-coronavirus-stimulus-checks.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
50 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

The “Substantial Presence” Test

You can qualify for a stimulus check without a green card if you pass the “substantial presence” test. To pass this test, you must have spent at least 31 days in the United States during 2020 alone, and 183 days during the 3-year period that includes 2018, 2019 and 2020.

To calculate the number of days for which you qualify to reach the benchmark of 183, however, you may count only:

•  

Your dates are off. That is 2020 tax year information. 

• All of the days you were present in the US in 2020 2021
  • One-third of the days you were present in the US during 2019; 2020 and,
  • One-sixth of the days you were present in the US during 2018 2019

The benchmark of 183 days was achieved. She was in the US 209 days in 2021. She is a resident alien. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

That is a lot of money. Glad it was settled 

Totally agree. In addition to having to be an immigration student, I guess it’s time for me to become a tax student

I have been thinking about this since I posted and I think that this might be an issue. If I update everything with SSN, can I reapply for stimulus? Would it be with 1040x mentioned by Crazy Cat?

The amount owed was negligible, but their $10k data entry threw all the figures off.

What I said earlier is 1040x is not appropriate in this situation in my opinion. You aren’t changing anything. The 1040x is for changing to filing married instead of single, or reporting more income because you left some out, or taking a credit you failed to enter the first time, or adding a kid you forgot about.  You have zero changes. It would be the exact same return and that’s not what a 1040x is for.

If the IRS made an error, they have to agree re-process the return. But first you need to know what their reason was. You started off thinking it was lack of a statement, but that’s not the reason. You didn’t need one. Now we’re guessing maybe SSN mismatch or inactive. The IRS will have to state why before you know what must be fixed. 

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The IRS will have to state why before you know what must be fixed. 

Makes sense. Once I’ll receive the letter I’ll report back. Thanks for all the help 

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Makes sense. Once I’ll receive the letter I’ll report back. Thanks for all the help 

Meanwhile get your SS account up to date so you are on record as a permanent resident. Change your name if it’s different. However it will have to match your greencard name so it depends on what name you  used on your greencard application. If you eventually become a citizen, then go back to Social Security and update your records again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Please let me know when you figure this one out.  That SSN things is interesting. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Please let me know when you figure this one out.  That SSN things is interesting. 

It might take a while but I will be back here with an update :) 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I remember last year they didn't accepted our return because my name didn't matched my name on the SSC. Changed the name on the return matching the one of the SSC and it was fine.

So what I'm getting at is having a mismatched name would throw the whole return out not just a portion of it.

56 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

So what I'm getting at is having a mismatched name would throw the whole return out not just a portion of it.

Yes that’s what baffles me too. I’d think if there were an ssn mismatch then the whole tax return would be rejected. I guess we wait and see what the letter says 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

That was just an idea that came to me since she mentioned “old” SSN. No idea exactly how IRS works behind the scenes on that. It would have to be something that flagged the computer because real people don’t go through your return. But an invalid SSN would likely be rejected for e-file, Right? I know my TurboTax keeps prompting me to get everything right before it will move on to efiling. Then you wait to see if the IRS computer accepted it as an efile.

However my wife was trying to help an illegal alien  that works for our maid find out why some of their refund was denied. It was filed by a  tax professional. She was sure there was a fake SSN in the mess but carried on to help this family.  After many calls to IRS and extensive use of Google translate, the answer had to do with them wanting more documentation that 2 of the four kids existed and verification of addresses. So gathering school report cards, doctor visits of the children, and 12 months of utility bills showing the family address, the two American born children got the benefit but the two with only ITINs didn’t. Never mind that wasn’t a real SSN on the Dad’s W2 because he had no authorization to be in the US or work here. Thousands and thousands file every year on fake SSNs. 

4 hours ago, powerpuff said:

It might take a while but I will be back here with an update :) 

👍

49 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I remember last year they didn't accepted our return because my name didn't matched my name on the SSC. Changed the name on the return matching the one of the SSC and it was fine.

If the name is the reason, then perhaps the 1040x would be appropriate because you would be amending a name from the original filing….making a change to different information. 
@powerpuff Did your tax return have a different name than your Social Security card?

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

because real people don’t go through your return.

I did not know this. Interesting 

2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

If the name is the reason, then perhaps the 1040x would be appropriate because you would be amending a name from the original filing….making a change to different information. 
@powerpuff Did your tax return have a different name than your Social Security card?

So when we filed I put the same name on the tax return as I did on my SSN card. Fast forward few weeks and I received my GC in my new name. I made an appointment and went ahead to the SSA office to remove the DHS restriction on my SSN and also change the name. I thought it’s gonna take a while and my tax return will be processed before it’ll take effect (my mistake I guess).  I still didn’t receive a new SSN card. Now if that’s the snag, wouldn’t the whole tax return be rejected? Or did the computer give an ok on that but a person had to review the stimulus part and that’s when the mismatch came up? 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm getting the feeling that it has more to do with dates. I'm thinking that the fact that you didn't lived here by the time the stimulus came through triggered it even tho you're a resident for tax purposes for 2021.

Others said that shouldn't be a problem but I kinda feel that's the problem for either the AI or the person who checked your return.

15 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I'm getting the feeling that it has more to do with dates. I'm thinking that the fact that you didn't lived here by the time the stimulus came through triggered it even tho you're a resident for tax purposes for 2021.

Others said that shouldn't be a problem but I kinda feel that's the problem for either the AI or the person who checked your return.

Yes, it could be. That’s what my initial hunch was about… I just hope it could be appealed or something. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

I did not know this. Interesting 

So when we filed I put the same name on the tax return as I did on my SSN card. Fast forward few weeks and I received my GC in my new name. I made an appointment and went ahead to the SSA office to remove the DHS restriction on my SSN and also change the name. I thought it’s gonna take a while and my tax return will be processed before it’ll take effect (my mistake I guess).  I still didn’t receive a new SSN card. Now if that’s the snag, wouldn’t the whole tax return be rejected? Or did the computer give an ok on that but a person had to review the stimulus part and that’s when the mismatch came up? 

We are all just guessing here.

Personal opinion:

No I do not think a person looks at your return to approve anything unless an algorithm throws up a big red flag. That would be a BIG one, not petty stuff. They don’t have the staff to go through every return except maybe billionaires who try to avoid taxes. You are not a big enough fish to worry about. A lot of your tax return depends on the honor system. 

No I do not think they check dates. They can’t look at your immigration status or check your POE. Different parts of the government who don’t share files or talk to each other. The IRS doesn’t care if you are an illegal living and working in the US with no papers, no work authorization, no driver’s license, or auto insurance. They gladly collect your income tax. 

54 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Completely disagree. The stimulus is a 2021 stimulus. In an effort to get money into hands early, they sent out checks based on previous year filing and income rather than waiting to see if your 2021 income would meet the income rules. It was just a guess based on what they could easily pull together to send that money out in advance of actual 2021 data. Rich people got nothing in the early payout. But if Mr. Rich missed out because he made too much money in the 2020 data they were estimating on, then lost his job and had $30 income for all of tax year 2021–the actual stimulus year— then he qualifies as poor enough to get the 2021 money when he files his 2021 tax return.

Go read what the IRS publishes in the instruction for filing.

INSTRUCTIONS Form 1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

Start on page  57. 

Edited by Wuozopo

@powerpuff

I may have missed it, but what does the accountant say?  They should be able to tell you exactly why, one way or the other, or they are not very good.

I was using a CPA for my taxes until 2020, because my taxes were slightly complex.  That changed and they were simple in 2021.  So I looked at the IRS recommended Free File partners, and chose to use OLT.  It was easy to use and free for my Federal.

I'm not sure how complex your taxes are, but if fairly simple you could sign up for OLT, do the return, and compare to the previous results.  If the taxes are complex, OLT could probably handle it, but the amount of time involved and risk of error would be higher.

You don't actually have to file.  You can even ask OLT questions.  I had one important one, and they responded quickly and accurately.  OLT also will allow you to go back and forth, so you can do a "what if".

My wife and I file MFJ.  We live in the Philippines, so she has an ITIN.  The problem OLT helped me with that I thought the enhanced child tax credits were fully refundable.  That was one of the big talking points.  Found out the hard way that if you are living overseas, it is not.  Luckily, it only cost me $100 this time.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.