Jayr11

Visa denial help

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KnoxThai said:

Back when my then girlfriend applied to come to the US to visit, she was denied. She had many family members there, no family here, steady job, home, strong ties to her home country. It did not matter. They denied her without even much of an interview.

We were upset, as you would expect. She had no desire to stay here, and could not stay here as she had far too many responsibilities in her home country that she had to return to.

The sad part is that too many people lie and come here to stay on a tourist visa, which harms the honest folks coming here for legitimate reasons. Guilt by association.

Sorry to hear your story and I wish I could tell you that you might have a different result with another effort, but chances are you will receive the same answer.

If she has skills that are in demand here maybe she can come on a work visa.

My then-boyfriend-now-husband and his friend both went to apply for tourist visas in their country. My then-boyfriend had a girlfriend in the US (me), didn't own anything and lived with his parents, no car, didn't have strong ties to a job, etc. but he was approved. His friend went to the same place for an interview, had a job contract, an apartment, and no connection to anyone in the US and was denied. Go figure...

Employment contracts can be cancelled or abandoned in Dubai with a consequence of visa issues later on.  The lease in Dubai can be taken over as a "sublease" by a friend or acquaintance.  In the end she has no ties to Dubai.

She needs to show all of the usual strong ties to the Philippines because that is her home country.

I-129F Sent: 2013-06-20
I-129F NOA1: 2013-06-26
I-129F RFE(s): none
I-129F NOA2: 2013-08-16
NVC Received: 2013-09-16
NVC Left: 2013-09-19

Embassy Received: 2013-09-22

Interview: 2013-12-09

POE: 2014-24-01

Married: 2014-30-03

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Applying for a US  visitor visa as a person from a developing country is almost akin to playing the lottery, I keep reminding people.

Some will tell you the consular officers are trained to evaluate and separate the proverbial goats from the sheep. Yes they are trained however it’s still largely your luck. For someone who received quite a few visitor visas before moving here permanently for school and who has had 17 family and friends visit me with 5 denied over the last twenty four years, that’s my conclusion.

It’s a lottery, you can apply with exactly the same profile as another person down to same name and they would get an approval and you wouldn’t. You could apply today and get denied and tomorrow apply with the same circumstances and get approved. People will critique her profile for this and that etc, it’s just an exercise in guesswork.

Aside from glaring and obvious red flags, the rest is all down to the luck of the draw. Stop worrying yourself trying to find out why they refused you, you will tear your hair out.

She should apply again and hope she gets lucky. It’s “only” $160 although that’s going up in September.

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

My then-boyfriend-now-husband and his friend both went to apply for tourist visas in their country. My then-boyfriend had a girlfriend in the US (me), didn't own anything and lived with his parents, no car, didn't have strong ties to a job, etc. but he was approved. His friend went to the same place for an interview, had a job contract, an apartment, and no connection to anyone in the US and was denied. Go figure...

It's really hard to understand what will happen.

We actually tried a 2nd time and my wife had a different agent. She told the agent the truth in that we had applied for her K1 (wanted full disclosure), but the agent basically said to wait for the K1 visa and denied her again.

There doesn't appear to be a concrete set of criteria.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

A school teacher from Brazil was denied and was coming alone leaving police officer husband and 2 sons in Brazil

she owned a home,  had a decent job and the immediate family to return to 

so, i can't make sense out of some denials and some approvals 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post and replies removed. Please start your own thread if you have questions for your own case.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

7 hours ago, noboundaries said:

Employment contracts can be cancelled or abandoned in Dubai with a consequence of visa issues later on.  The lease in Dubai can be taken over as a "sublease" by a friend or acquaintance.  In the end she has no ties to Dubai.

She needs to show all of the usual strong ties to the Philippines because that is her home country.

This is not true for all consulates. I can't speak for the consulate in Dubai or nationals from the Philippines. 

But, I interviewed in South Korea for my B1/B2 and had no ties to South Africa. I also had weak ties to Korea. (I was applying for a visa at the end of my work contract in Korea). But, my plan was to renew my work visa in Korea and I explained that to the CO.

After some aggressive questioning, they gave me the visa. 

8 hours ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

Do they question applicants in Argentina? I know some consulates don't ask any questions before a denial but others will give a mini interview. 

4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

A school teacher from Brazil was denied and was coming alone leaving police officer husband and 2 sons in Brazil

she owned a home,  had a decent job and the immediate family to return to 

so, i can't make sense out of some denials and some approvals 

I wonder if they have quotas and can only give out X number of visas per day/month/year? And this also factors in to who gets denied or approved?

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: Timeline
On 3/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, Kor2USA said:

I wonder if they have quotas and can only give out X number of visas per day/month/year? And this also factors in to who gets denied or approved?

This suggestion comes up over and over -- but I can, beyond a shadow of doubt, assure you that there is absolutely no quota system for non-immigrant visas or immigrant visas (except, of course, those that are numerically limited by Congress and rely on a priority date for processing).  As I think I've said before in this forum, believe it or not, but consular officers want to approve visas to every single person they can identify as being eligible for a visa.  But, when you legally have to start from the premise that a non-immigrant visa should be denied until the applicant convinces you they are qualified for one, it becomes a difficult hurdle.

Not to say that a consular officer never makes a mistake, but it is very hard to compare cases or interview experiences.  Even those that appear to have exactly the same circumstances may have some differences that you are not privy to.  Or, the information may not have been presented the same way during the interview.  Or, there was some verbal of physical indication that the person being interviewed was not being completely forth-coming/honest (even if they were).  There are just way too many variables to be able to say that two cases that were "the same" resulted in different decisions.  

Edited by jan22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 3/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, Jayr11 said:

Hello everyone, I'm curious on what people think and looking for some advice. My cousin recently had her tourist visa interview. She's a Filipino national who's been living and working in Dubai for 8 years. She wanted to come and visit us here in the states as we haven't seen her in years and it would be a nice break for her. She has never been to the US and this was her first interview for a visa. She was asked the typical questions, what do you do for work, how much do you make, what are your intentions in the US. The interview was fairly quick. The officer stated she didn't pass and handed her the generic denial letter which states that she did not demonstrate that you have ties that would compel you to return to your country after visiting the US. She brought a lot of documentation showing her employment contract and also a recently renewed lease for her apartment in Dubai. She was unable to show any of this to the officer to plead her case. 

She has every intention of leaving the US after visiting. She would only be here for a month as she needs to return for work. She would be staying with me and my mother (her aunt) and have housing and food expenses covered. It's so frustrating that she wasn't even able to show her documents proving she needs to return for employment. She brought banks statements, work letters, our information here in the States and they didn't look at any of it. 

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what she could do differently if she were to apply again? Thank you so much!

Hello did u send her invitation letter? 
B1 B2 visa is not guarantee 

did she apply for the visa in Philippine or dubai?

US don’t care about ur documents when it comes to B1 B2 visa 

Depends on the immigration who interview her

her confidante matter a lot 

She can apply after 6 months but best advice if really she want to apply again wait till 12 months make sure u supply her all necessary documents make sure u keep ur Ds 160 )  because a lot of people don’t know about it ur chances of getting B1 B2 visa depends on ur DS 160 how u fill it stay bless

Edited by Jeffry Hardy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.