11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everyone

We're in the middle of filing our AOS and I ( the sole sponsor ) have not received my most recent ( 2021) tax return but I have the one for 2020 I do have the W2s for 2021 though.

My question is should I put the year 2021 in question 24.a as my most recent tax year and provide the w2s and job letter and pay stubs to prove the income along with the 2020 tax return?

Or should I put the year 2020 as the most recent tax year.

Note my 2021 income is a lot more than 2020.

Thank you in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I think you can put 2021 as your most recent tax year, and present the W2s, the job letter and the paystubs. I would also advice you to write a short letter explaining this. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

2 hours ago, Dollahbills said:

Hello everyone

We're in the middle of filing our AOS and I ( the sole sponsor ) have not received my most recent ( 2021) tax return but I have the one for 2020 I do have the W2s for 2021 though.

Can you explain what you mean by not receiving the return.

One does not receive returns.

They file/submit returns and receive transcripts (if requested).

My question is should I put the year 2021 in question 24.a as my most recent tax year and provide the w2s and job letter and pay stubs to prove the income along with the 2020 tax return?

Have you FILED 2021 taxes?

If you have, 2021 is the most recent tax year for you for Q24a.

If you have not filed 2021, then 2020 will be input in 24a.

A W2 by itself cannot be used anywhere. Not Part 6 Q7 or Qu 24.

Only a complete tax return OR transcript can be used for Qu 24 (AND Part 6 Qu 7 if you want.)

Paystubs and an EVL can be used for Part 6 Qu 7, not for any part of 24.

Thank you in advance

So then you can:

1. Use your EVL stating 2022 predicted income and back it up with 6 months current paystubs in Part 6 Qu 7 AND

A. Use your 2020 actual complete tax return submitted or transcript for 24a.

OR

B. File 2021 taxes AND

i. Use your 2021 actual complete tax return submitted for Qu 24a.

OR 

ii. Wait for your 2021 taxes to process, request your 2021 Return Transcript and submit that for Qu24a.

1.A.

Or 1.B.i.

Or 1.B.ii.

1 matters (Part 6 Qu 7) most as it's current income although you CAN input the most recent tax year reported income there as well and avoid the EVL and paystubs entirely.

24a, b and c is less important.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
2 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Can you explain what you mean by not receiving the return.

One does not receive returns.

They file/submit returns and receive transcripts (if requested).

Have you FILED 2021 taxes?

If you have, 2021 is the most recent tax year for you for Q24a.

If you have not filed 2021, then 2020 will be input in 24a.

A W2 by itself cannot be used anywhere. Not Part 6 Q7 or Qu 24.

Only a complete tax return OR transcript can be used for Qu 24 (AND Part 6 Qu 7 if you want.)

Paystubs and an EVL can be used for Part 6 Qu 7, not for any part of 24.

So then you can:

1. Use your EVL stating 2022 predicted income and back it up with 6 months current paystubs in Part 6 Qu 7 AND

A. Use your 2020 actual complete tax return submitted or transcript for 24a.

OR

B. File 2021 taxes AND

i. Use your 2021 actual complete tax return submitted for Qu 24a.

OR 

ii. Wait for your 2021 taxes to process, request your 2021 Return Transcript and submit that for Qu24a.

1.A.

Or 1.B.i.

Or 1.B.ii.

1 matters (Part 6 Qu 7) most as it's current income although you CAN input the most recent tax year reported income there as well and avoid the EVL and paystubs entirely.

24a, b and c is less important.

Sorry I meant that I haven't filed my taxes for this year yet but I'm about to

Unfortunately we can't wait for the tax return because my husband's K1 is going to expire in 9 days.

So I wanted to ask what you meant by i (  Use your 2021 actual complete tax return submitted for Qu 24a. ) ?

Are you saying that we can put 2021 as our most recent tax year just by filing without needing the 1040? if so how?

Thank you for your help!

Timeline
8 hours ago, randy32 said:

Don't try to think too hard.

My understanding is that 2020 is the last year file and 2021 has not yet been filed.

Use the most recent tax filed. 2020.

2021 tax filing is not yet due so 2020 is still very much acceptable.

It's just that my income looks a lot better in 2021 than 2020 but since proving my current income with a job letter and pay stubs is more important then you're right I might just do that.

Thank you so much for the reply

10 minutes ago, Dollahbills said:

It's just that my income looks a lot better in 2021 than 2020 but since proving my current income with a job letter and pay stubs is more important then you're right I might just do that.

Thank you so much for the reply

If your 2020 income meets or beats the requirements for your family size, then I don't see a reason to wait.

You guys can always take the updated info to the AOS interview.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, randy32 said:

If your 2020 income meets or beats the requirements for your family size, then I don't see a reason to wait.

You guys can always take the updated info to the AOS interview.

It doesn't though that's the issue we're off by a couple of hundred dollars but my current income does, however I can't wait cause time is not on my side so I have to file now.

As long as my current income ( to be proven with my current w2 + job letter and paystubs ) exceeds the requirements we'll be fine right?

9 hours ago, Dollahbills said:

So I wanted to ask what you meant by i (  Use your 2021 actual complete tax return submitted for Qu 24a. ) ?

Are you saying that we can put 2021 as our most recent tax year just by filing without needing the 1040? if so how?

Thank you for your help!

Pardon?

What do you mean without needing the 1040?

You are very confused about taxes.

You SUBMIT your taxes to the IRS.

They CONTAIN many pages INCLUDING the summary page called a 1040 series. 

You can submit ALL of the pages of the ACTUAL FEDERAL tax return you submitted to the IRS as long as you submit ALL of the pages and all of the schedules and all of your earnings statements that you used to actually file your taxes. A 1040 is only a PART of what you fill out. It is not all of it.

But YES, you will already have a 1040 filled out if you filed your taxes so I'm not understanding what you mean by asking your question.

The 1040 is NOT the transcript.

The transcript is the RECEIPT that you receive AFTER your taxes have been filed AND (BIG "AND") AFTER they have PROCESSED those taxes.

The 1040 is generated by the tax program you use or the tax person or YOU will fill out a paper copy WHEN YOU FILL OUT (not even FILE) your taxes so yes, if you FILE your taxes you will have a complete copy of all of the documents you need. It is not just a 1040.

You'll need to update your knowledge on tax forms as you seen to be confused.

I suggest you look at your last year's tax copy that you sent into the IRS and familiarize yourself with the page names, schedule names and earnings statement names so you can determine what pages of the actual federal tax copy you need. A 1040 is not ALL you need. You need much more than that.

Or you are referring to "the 1040" as something it isn't.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
21 hours ago, Dollahbills said:

Hello everyone

Thank you in advance

2021 taxes are not due until April, so if you haven't filed yet, then 2020 is the current tax year. You can get your transcript from the IRS. USCIS prefers transcripts because they show that you actually did file. If you do send your transcript, you don't need to include your W2 with it. You can download your transcript instantly here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript#:~:text=Request Online,Get Transcript Online

I understand you really want to show the higher income you're earning now, and it's your current income that matters most, so this works out well  for you. To show your current income (as opposed to current tax year) you can include pay stubs, bank statements showing paycheck deposits. The form's instructions suggest you include a letter from the company you work for. All this will help. When you go for your interview, you can take along an updated I-864. By then, you will have even more evidence of your higher income. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

2021 taxes are not due until April, so if you haven't filed yet, then 2020 is the current tax year. You can get your transcript from the IRS. USCIS prefers transcripts because they show that you actually did file. If you do send your transcript, you don't need to include your W2 with it. You can download your transcript instantly here:https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript#:~:text=Request Online,Get Transcript OnlineI understand you really want to show the higher income you're earning now, and it's your current income that matters most, so this works out well  for you. To show your current income (as opposed to current tax year) you can include pay stubs, bank statements showing paycheck deposits. The form's instructions suggest you include a letter from the company you work for. All this will help. When you go for your interview, you can take along an updated I-864. By then, you will have even more evidence of your higher income. 

Thank you so much for the boost of confidence I was a bit worried, will do what you suggested.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.