Sanctus1

n400/Ombudsman

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi everyone.

I need suggestions from anyone that has encountered this situation like mine. I attended my n-400 interview in August this year, passed all the civic questions, and at the end of the interview, the office gave me a paper that said decision could not be made at the moment. She told me that within 100 days, I would hear back from USCIS. Now, is more than 120 days, and I called them to know what's going on. Yesterday, I received the attached letter from them. 

Does anyone know what I can do next? This is very frustrating. 

1640309022035.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Per the letter, wait 90 days, and if they still have not acted, then contact them again. 

Not much to do than wait, unfortunately.

You can technically sue them after 120 days, but I'd wait longer before going down that path.

Is your case outside USCIS processing times for your field office? You can check here:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

I'd be contacting my senators and representative for help, and also the USCIS Ombudsman if your case is outside office processing times.

There is another very good thread for people in your situation here:

Read through this, so you can understand all the options. Unfortunately this situation is becoming more and more common these days.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have noticed some posters casually talk about contacting their senator or representative or both when some issue happens.

They cannot really do anything other than ask the status of an application/visa/etc.

They cannot force DHS or DOS to make a decision, they cannot make USCIS put a petition ahead in the queue, or anything similar.  What they can do is make these departments provide a response.

Petitions that are outside normal processing times does not mean that USCIS/NVC/DOS have to process those petitions or applications right away.  It just gives the petitioner/applicant the right to make an inquiry.

In this case, the OP was given an official response in the letter USCIS sent.  The response was they are still reviewing the application and have not reached a decision.  Contacting a congressman would probably result in getting a second letter saying the same thing.

If the OP did not get any response, then a rep or senator may help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

I have noticed some posters casually talk about contacting their senator or representative or both when some issue happens.

They cannot really do anything other than ask the status of an application/visa/etc.

What do they have to lose? Nothing, it doesn’t cost a thing and it may help so why not?

OP @Sanctus1,

After 90 days you can file a writ of mandamus. 90 days will make it about eight months. You don’t have to pay an expensive attorney for it. There are many samples floating around the internet of successful suit formats.

Best!

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
On 12/23/2021 at 5:33 PM, Sanctus1 said:

Hi everyone.

I need suggestions from anyone that has encountered this situation like mine. I attended my n-400 interview in August this year, passed all the civic questions, and at the end of the interview, the office gave me a paper that said decision could not be made at the moment. She told me that within 100 days, I would hear back from USCIS. Now, is more than 120 days, and I called them to know what's going on. Yesterday, I received the attached letter from them. 

Does anyone know what I can do next? This is very frustrating. 

1640309022035.jpg

10 hours ago, bing10 said:

You can technically sue them after 120 days, but I'd wait longer before going down that path.

Is your case outside USCIS processing times for your field office? You can check here:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

I'd be contacting my senators and representative for help, and also the USCIS Ombudsman if your case is outside office processing times.

There is another very good thread for people in your situation here:

Read through this, so you can understand all the options. Unfortunately this situation is becoming more and more common these days.

Thank you for this awesome response. I was thinking the same as you suggested. Will wait a little bit, not up to 90 days and I will go the other path. Thanks once again.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

What do they have to lose? Nothing, it doesn’t cost a thing and it may help so why not?

OP @Sanctus1,

After 90 days you can file a writ of mandamus. 90 days will make it about eight months. You don’t have to pay an expensive attorney for it. There are many samples floating around the internet of successful suit formats.

Best!

Good point @ African Zealot. I am thinking of waiting maybe just a month, not till 90 days to take that step. Thanks you for your response.

18 hours ago, Sanctus1 said:

Good point @ African Zealot. I am thinking of waiting maybe just a month, not till 90 days to take that step. Thanks you for your response.

As one of the posters above mentioned, Senators, Representatives and even the Ombudsman can't force USCIS to do anything, but in my opinion it helps to keep the pressure on. It also helps with your own sanity, knowing that you are doing everything you possibly can do.

In my case, I was pretty sure moving states was going to get the case moving, which it did. If that hadn't worked, my final plan was to sue.

Edited by bing10

Timeline
On 12/25/2021 at 11:56 AM, bing10 said:

As one of the posters above mentioned, Senators, Representatives and even the Ombudsman can't force USCIS to do anything, but in my opinion it helps to keep the pressure on. It also helps with your own sanity, knowing that you are doing everything you possibly can do.

In my case, I was pretty sure moving states was going to get the case moving, which it did. If that hadn't worked, my final plan was to sue.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Guys. 

Does anyone know how to contact the ombudsman. I have tried filling the form 7001 online, and when I hit the submit button, an error message will appear. The message will say that I have no permission to access that link. Please, I need help. My n400 has been stuck for more than 17 months from the day of submission till the interview was completed. I did an e-request for a case outside normal processing time, and uscis sent me mail saying they do not have a time frame when they will complete my case. 

Please, what should I do now? This is very frustrating. My service center is CSC. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, Sanctus1 said:

Hi Guys. 

Does anyone know how to contact the ombudsman. I have tried filling the form 7001 online, and when I hit the submit button, an error message will appear. The message will say that I have no permission to access that link. Please, I need help. My n400 has been stuck for more than 17 months from the day of submission till the interview was completed. I did an e-request for a case outside normal processing time, and uscis sent me mail saying they do not have a time frame when they will complete my case. 

Please, what should I do now? This is very frustrating. My service center is CSC. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks

When was the interview?  Correct, the processing times only refer to the pre-interview phase.

Timeline
On 12/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, African Zealot said:

OP @Sanctus1,

Best!

On 12/25/2021 at 11:56 AM, bing10 said:

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

When was the interview?  Correct, the processing times only refer to the pre-interview phase.

I applied in July 2020, did my interview in August 2021. Passed the civic questions, till now, nothing has happened.

I'm in the same boat. N400/I751 interview in August. No response within 120 days. Reached out to congressmans office to inquire after 120 days. They basically said "some cases require further inquiry. Another interview may be scheduled or correspondence with another agency." I'm not sure how much longer to wait.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.