icee

Bring brother in as the US citizen - wait period?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hello Community,

If I submitted my petition to bring my brother to the States this year, how long would he have to wait till he can move here? I’m a US citizen. He is in Kyrgyzstan, married has children. We figured we’d try to bring him alone here first. We heard the wait period can be between 7-12 years and so we are thinking if its worth pursuing if the wait period is that long. Any information in relation to this is appreciated. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, icee said:

Hello Community,

If I submitted my petition to bring my brother to the States this year, how long would he have to wait till he can move here? I’m a US citizen. He is in Kyrgyzstan, married has children. We figured we’d try to bring him alone here first. We heard the wait period can be between 7-12 years and so we are thinking if its worth pursuing if the wait period is that long. Any information in relation to this is appreciated. Thank you. 

15-20 is likely, by that time.

7 hours ago, icee said:

Hello Community,

The wait period is actually longer. It is more like 15 years.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

54 minutes ago, icee said:

I heard it depends on the country.

Currently, 15 years is the minimum wait time.  F4 cases from India, Mexico, and the Philippines have longer wait times.  Check for yourself here -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-january-2022.html

2 hours ago, icee said:

I heard it depends on the country. Some countries have less quotas, countries like India, Mexico, Philippines, & other neighbouring countries, hence I included the country where my brother is.

Yes, it is country specific. Countries like Mexico, India, and Philippines are taking 20 to 25 plus years. The rest of the world is taking 15 years. So you are right that some countries are different but those countries are taking longer.

Look at the link @Chancy posted. No way to bring your brother here faster through you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Children could well age out.

15 years is how long people who are now getting their visa have been waiting, an ever expanding timeline.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

Children could well age out.

15 years is how long people who are now getting their visa have been waiting, an ever expanding timeline.

Would they not have CSPA?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chancy said:

Currently, 15 years is the minimum wait time.  F4 cases from India, Mexico, and the Philippines have longer wait times.  Check for yourself here -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2022/visa-bulletin-for-january-2022.html

It’s likely worse.  Looking at the January 2021 bulletin the sibling category  moved from October 2006 to March 2007.  So in 12 months  it moved 5 months. 

12/5 * 15 = 36 years

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Would they not have CSPA?

They would but that is an unknown benefit so if for some reason the petition is dat on for a long time that could help. When you are measuring in decades all sorts of things are possible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.