Sebat4

Done, over, I'm a US Citizen now! My experience inside.

31 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sebat4 said:

This is it for me. No more USCIS, I'm done. Became a US Citizen today and the next step is to get my passport. Thank you all for answering my questions when I couldn't understand something with my naturalization application.

My timeline (Interview was at Newark, NJ) Marriage base N-400: 

My Case Timeline

Category: Naturalization (Application for Naturalization)

Total Days: 330 days

N-400
Start: Jan 10, 2021
Decision: Dec 06, 2021

@National Benefits Center

● Jan 10, 2021 / N-400 / Submission to USCIS

● Feb 12, 2021 / N-400 / Biometrics, i.e. fingerprint and photo

● Oct 19, 2021 / N-400 / Interview

● Dec 06, 2021 / N-400 / Decision (Approval)

Oath ceremony same day.

My appointment was at 11am. I have arrived at the building around 10:45am (I've parked my car at the parking lot behind the building, $21 for the all-day parking) and the security check was very quick (airport style metal detector check). The security guard at the elevators told me that my appointment so on the 15th floor (Naturalization department). On the 15th floor, checked in with another security guard next to the elevators, then again at the window in the waiting are (I was only asked for my Notice with the appointment info), after that I was told to sit down and wait. I waited from 11am until 2pm for my interview. The interviewers are coming out of 3 different location (left door, back of the hallways, and some are just using PA system to call people to the door number 3). Really hard to go and pee because they can call you at any time. There were Oath Ceremonies happening when they had around 30 people approved for Naturalization. I was called for the interview around 2pm and the IO was smiling when I got to the door. Asked me how I'm doing. After I got into his office he swore me in and the interview started.

IO asked me for my green card and my passport as well as my driver's license. Out of nowhere he asked if my wife and I have kids, I have answered no we don't. He then said what else do you have, so I told him we have a dog, his response was what else do you have, I didn't understand the question so I said that's all. IO then said to me "I'm trying to establish your marriage to your wife, what else do you have?" So I said we own cars together, we rent an apartment so I do have lease, we have credit card accounts, we have bank accounts, we have life insurance, we had medical insurance. That's when he asked me why we don't have it anymore, and I just told him that it was expensive to pay whole amount out of pocket while being self-employed. He look at me with weirdness, and I just continued saying that I'm thinking about a business and my wife believe in natural remedies over medicating us both (which is true). Within seconds his switch and went with all the exam question:

• Who is your senator?
• Who is the Vice President now?
• What was MLK Jr. fighting for?
• Why do we have 13 stripes on the flag?
• Name one longest river in US?
• Who was Ben Franklin?

After answering all the questions, I notice a question on the iPad infront of me with a question "Who elects Congress?" and I was told to read that question to the IO. Then he told me to write "The people elect Congress." 

Right after he asked me few questions from the application such as:

• How long have you been married?
• Was your wife born in US?
• What date did your wife become a US citizen?
• Questions from Yes/No (I actually froze at open question got 2 sec "Have you ever been arrested?" After those 2 sec I have answered NO, but IO asked me "why did you pause before I answered?". I just simple explained that I wanted to understand the question, because I have been cited by the police but not arrested. He accepted my explanation and we moved on.

After maybe 2 min of Yes/No questions he made me sign things on the pad and gave me a paper with more Yes/No questions, told me to mark everything No, put my address and sign the paper. Then he gave me a paper with my information asked if it's all correct and 10 sec later he said that I passed and congratulated me for passing, told me to get my stuff and wait in the waiting room for the oath. I just said Thank you, grab my stuff and left to wait for the oath in the waiting room. 15min into waiting and a guy came out to the middle of the room and started calling names of people who were told to go to the room down the hallway for the oath ceremony. My name got called and I went into the room where the Oath Ceremony was going to take place. Nice lady greeted us and told people to move down the row and sit down in the chair and wait. After everyone who was called was there she congratulated all of us and started explaining what to do after we get out naturalization certificate. She also mention to people who have kids who are under age of 18 and have green cards that they are automatically a US citizens and to apply for their passport while applying for your own. Oath took place, people took pictures, and left to celebrate with their families. That's all she wrote for me. I'm done. 

Side note: You can bring your family members to the waiting room but they won't be able to attend your Oath with you, although they can coming after the oath to take pictures.

Big congrats. I know the feeling.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
Just now, Davadell said:

Big congrats. I know the feeling.

Thank you. It is the feeling of something that I have waited for almost 20 years from the first day of my undocumented journey to the last day of my journey ending as a US Citizen. 

Timeline
48 minutes ago, oakland71 said:

IO asked me for my green card and my passport as well as my driver's license

Congratulation! Does the IO flip through the pages of your passport? or just look at the first page of th passport?

Thank you very much. He took a look at the first page and then flipped thru pages I guess to make sure that I didn't travel more than what I have stated on my application, since I seen him look at the boarder stamps. 

Edited by Sebat4

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wow, they asked you for your driver's license?  Was that listed as one of the requirements on the list of items to bring to interview? My wife's N400 interview is next week.  1) She doesn't have a driver's license and 2) She askedme if she should take her state issued ID card and I said "No," because a) it's not on the list of items and b) the address on it is incorrect. We moved over a year ago, and while technically I guess we should have changed our ID's with the DPS, etc we have not done so.  So IMO, since it's not listed as a requirement, why take it with you?

On another note, I saw her watching videos to study for the test last night and one of the questions was, name 1 of the 3 branches of government. She said, "Congress," and the answer said Congress, the Courts, and the President. In my view that is incorrect. The correct answer should be Legislative, Judicial, or Executive branch.  Technically yes, the video is kind of correct with Congress, Courts, and President, but the answer is really Legistlative, Judicial, or Executive Branch, no?  She doesnt know how to answer that question now if she gets it.

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ready to do it said:

Wow, they asked you for your driver's license?  Was that listed as one of the requirements on the list of items to bring to interview? My wife's N400 interview is next week.  1) She doesn't have a driver's license and 2) She askedme if she should take her state issued ID card and I said "No," because a) it's not on the list of items and b) the address on it is incorrect. We moved over a year ago, and while technically I guess we should have changed our ID's with the DPS, etc we have not done so.  So IMO, since it's not listed as a requirement, why take it with you?

On another note, I saw her watching videos to study for the test last night and one of the questions was, name 1 of the 3 branches of government. She said, "Congress," and the answer said Congress, the Courts, and the President. In my view that is incorrect. The correct answer should be Legislative, Judicial, or Executive branch.  Technically yes, the video is kind of correct with Congress, Courts, and President, but the answer is really Legistlative, Judicial, or Executive Branch, no?  She doesnt know how to answer that question now if she gets it.

Drivers license or state issued ID is for the IO to check if its you for sure as this is your everyday ID. It's not on the list of items but I use it everyday to ID myself so I had it with me and he asked about it. You can go online to the DMV website and request address change, submit and you should have a document to print proving that you have changed the address with DMV agency, I did bring that too as we have moved not long ago and it was one of my evidence document. Also, you want to bring the DL/State issued ID because you are supposed to have a proof of you moving too. 

About the video, your wife is correct. Those are acceptable answers, because there are people here who speak english but sometimes they cant think of as I like to say $20 words and they only throw $5 words, that is acceptable and she can say congress because it is legislative branch of the government. People say President instead of Executive as this is allowed, or Courts instead of Judicial, all are allowed. There is one question that asks about 2 things that only US Citizens can do (not exact questions) and the answer is vote or vote in federal election both are acceptable. To prove that it is acceptable answer, you can go to the USCIS website and print USCIS study guide and they have those answere there, even the one that your wife said "congress" as acceptable answer.

Edited by Sebat4

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Sebat4 said:

Drivers license or state issued ID is for the IO to check if its you for sure as this is your everyday ID. It's not on the list of items but I use it everyday to ID myself so I had it with me and he asked about it. You can go online to the DMV website and request address change, submit and you should have a document to print proving that you have changed the address with DMV agency, I did bring that too as we have moved not long ago and it was one of my evidence document. Also, you want to bring the DL/State issued ID because you are supposed to have a proof of you moving too. 

About the video, your wife is correct. Those are acceptable answers, because there are people here who speak english but sometimes they cant think of as I like to say $20 words and they only throw $5 words, that is acceptable and she can say congress because it is legislative branch of the government. People say President instead of Executive as this is allowed, or Courts instead of Judicial, all are allowed. There is one question that asks about 2 things that only US Citizens can do (not exact questions) and the answer is vote or vote in federal election both are acceptable. To prove that it is acceptable answer, you can go to the USCIS website and print USCIS study guide and they have those answere there, even the one that your wife said "congress" as acceptable answer.

Thanks Sebat4!  Personally, I would rather not change our ID's addresses with the DPS. I've had the same address on my ID for 20 years. I've probably moved 6-7 times and I've never changed it.  It's to a UPS store.  I have my own personal reasons for not wanting to change my ID's address. I get it, with USCIS she's required to tell them where she physically live, which we have done... but it's not the same address as her ID and the list of requirements doesn't ask for an ID.  She mentioned that they might ask for ID when she enters the building. I have told her that her green card should suffice as that is a Federal ID.  You used the abbreviation IO. I am unfamiliar with that term. What is an IO? 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ready to do it said:

Thanks Sebat4!  Personally, I would rather not change our ID's addresses with the DPS. I've had the same address on my ID for 20 years. I've probably moved 6-7 times and I've never changed it.  It's to a UPS store.  I have my own personal reasons for not wanting to change my ID's address. I get it, with USCIS she's required to tell them where she physically live, which we have done... but it's not the same address as her ID and the list of requirements doesn't ask for an ID.  She mentioned that they might ask for ID when she enters the building. I have told her that her green card should suffice as that is a Federal ID.  You used the abbreviation IO. I am unfamiliar with that term. What is an IO? 

IO - Interviewing Officer

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Congratulations on your monumental achievement.  You must feel great, and deservedly so.

-----

Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Congratulations on your monumental achievement.  You must feel great, and deservedly so.

-----

Thread is moved from the US Citizenship main forum to the Case Progress subforum.

Thank you very much, this is a huge moment for me as well as it is for my family. It just feels amazing to be a US Citizen after almost 20 years and started from being brought here by my parents on a tourist visa, then undocumented, getting married, EAD card (I cried to hard after I got my EAD card because I felt huge weight drop of me), green card, and finally a US Citizen. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Sebat4 said:

Thank you very much, this is a huge moment for me as well as it is for my family. It just feels amazing to be a US Citizen after almost 20 years and started from being brought here by my parents on a tourist visa, then undocumented, getting married, EAD card (I cried to hard after I got my EAD card because I felt huge weight drop of me), green card, and finally a US Citizen. 

Sabat, huge congratulations. Great story with a great ending!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sebat4 said:

Congratulations @Sebat4  to you and your family.  Agree that this is a nice story and thank you for sharing it with us. 

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 hours ago, Sebat4 said:

It's always great hearing a success story. Thank you for taking the time to share with us on VJ!

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.