Tara*

Joint Sponsor who is Married Question (merged)

45 posts in this topic

Thanks, you´ve made it much clearer for me.  I´ll show my mom´s last paystub which shows how much she made in 2021. I´ll include my dad´s income and have him do I864A, and include his 1099 but his 1099 is from 2020 since the ones from 2021 are not out yet. Hopefully this should be enough..  Let me know what you think if you see this and don´t mind. Thanks again.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, Tara* said:

Thanks, you´ve made it much clearer for me.  I´ll show my mom´s last paystub which shows how much she made in 2021. I´ll include my dad´s income and have him do I864A, and include his 1099 but his 1099 is from 2020 since the ones from 2021 are not out yet. Hopefully this should be enough..  Let me know what you think if you see this and don´t mind. Thanks again.

Ugg.  Your Mom already retired, so her last pay stub does not represent her current income.  Document and state your Mom's ACTUAL current income in retirement.

Current is current, not current year.  For example, if you didn't work all year but started a job today paying 1000 a week, your current income is 52,000.  If you lost your job yesterday, your current income is zero, no matter how much you made already this year.  If your Mom retired, then her current income doesn't come from her former employment.  Current means now.

You seem to be looking for ways to do this the way you WANT instead of doing it RIGHT.  NOT GOOD!

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Actually I´m just trying to understand. Of course I want to do this the right way, otherwise it doesn´t make sense. When I asked my parents for proof of current income, they seemed to think showing her latest pay stub would be enough. So then say we make my dad the joint sponsor, one thing they want to see is his W2, well his w2 is not out yet for 2021. So we send his w2 for last year 2020?

Timeline
12 hours ago, Tara* said:

Actually I´m just trying to understand. Of course I want to do this the right way, otherwise it doesn´t make sense. When I asked my parents for proof of current income, they seemed to think showing her latest pay stub would be enough. So then say we make my dad the joint sponsor, one thing they want to see is his W2, well his w2 is not out yet for 2021. So we send his w2 for last year 2020?

Last pay stub would be correct for your father, but your mother retired and doesn't work there anymore.  I don't know her source of retirement income, so cannot comment on what she would use to document it.  A W2 form is associated with a tax return.  You would send for 2020 but again, that has nothing to do with current income.

What's the source of Mom's retirement income, if any?

No offense to anybody, but if you want to do this right, pay attention to what you are being told here, not what your parents seem to think.  They've never done this before, right?

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

No source of retirement, she retired a little early, they've just saved up over the years. Dad is retired but has current income of 39000 with contracting work he does. Household size will be 4 with my spouse, two of them and one dependant brother.

To confirm my dad should be sponsor and my mom should do 1864a then?

Timeline
15 hours ago, Tara* said:

No source of retirement, she retired a little early, they've just saved up over the years. Dad is retired but has current income of 39000 with contracting work he does. Household size will be 4 with my spouse, two of them and one dependant brother.

To confirm my dad should be sponsor and my mom should do 1864a then?

Yes, but based on what you say, Mom will report ZERO current income, as she no longer works.  You say Dad has income from "contract work".  If that is employment, fine, his pay stub is used to calculate his "current income".  If he is "self employed" (Ask him.  He'll know.) then his current income comes from the total income line of his 2020 tax return.  Self employed people's current income DOES come from a tax return.  I would then declare and document their liquid assets, as Dad's income is marginal for a household of 4.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Hi guys. I have what is probably a dumb question but I´m still looking for clarity on it from anyone with insight/experience. Be easy on me if you can, lol.

I found out my current income is high enough this year to meet the minimum income requirement, whereas I was thinking it wouldn´t be (I´m mostly self-employed so it´s not a steady income, and I´m making much more now than I was at the beginning of the year.) Previous 3 tax years did not meet the requirement.

I was thinking I was going to need a joint sponsor so I got all that information together. The thing is, I would still like to include a joint sponsor if I can. Reasons being 1. since my income wasn´t high enough the previous 3 years  and 2. I ordered my tax transcript for 2020 and it shows that they haven´t received anything (I think it could be because they are slower this year, not sure). I did file and have pdf copy of my 1040...  

Is it okay to go ahead and include a joint sponsor just to be safe even though my current income should be high enough?  Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can include joint sponsor

will need a I 864a from him/her

much depends on your timeline and when the interview could take place 

before 4/15/22,  then 2020 tax returns

after 4/15/22 , then 2021 tax returns 

IRS transcripts are best

you say you are self employed so if you use 1040,  you'll need the 1099 forms from the sources of your income

and is your "now "  income from the business or your personal income?

and other important factor is the embassy u will go thru (country) as to "will u need the joint sponsor"

so,, Please do a timeline and let us know what country this is for

Hi Jeanne, thank you.

So if my current income is high enough, I should have the joint sponsor do I864A? thank you. But that person has filed their taxes jointly. I know USCIS wants to see signatures /agreement from both people on a joint tax return, so how does the other person sign?

My income now is from both my own business and a 1099 (kind of independant contractor), but the 1099 isn´t out yet. Would I just upload that when it is and bring it to interview?

We are in Jordan. Very very slow here right now. If after April 15, will be sure to bring 2021 docs.

Our case was approved by USCIS at the beg. of Nov 2021.   I´ve just been taking a long time to get all required documents from joint sponsors. I have my mom as joint sponsor now and Dad did I864A. But now I´m wondering if I have an issue since I found out current income is high enough  (no tax transcripts though, though I do have 1040 and schedule C yes).

Thanks!

Edited by Tara*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
your case was just approved by USCIS ,  so u have plenty of time to get all the needed documents for this NVC stage
How do I fill joint sponsor?

Each joint sponsor must fill out a separate I-864 form.

yes,  if you use 1040 all the pages (like schedule C) need to be included
unless u do a business tax report and your personal income separately as u would if giving yourself wages for work produced

So I would do I864 as a sponsor since my current income is high enough, mom as I864 A and dad as another I 864A just since he filed taxes jointly with her. Is this right? Thanks for your help.

Can I leave it as I have it with me as petitioner, mom did I864 (joint sponsor) and dad did I864A (household member)?  Or do I need to change it since I found out I make enough?

Edited by Tara*

44 minutes ago, Tara* said:

So I would do I864 as a sponsor since my current income is high enough, mom as I864 A and dad as another I 864A just since he filed taxes jointly with her. Is this right? Thanks for your help.

Can I leave it as I have it with me as petitioner, mom did I864 (joint sponsor) and dad did I864A (household member)?  Or do I need to change it since I found out I make enough?

You cannot combine your income with theirs for sponsorship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.