JFox762

Recommended documents to bring to I751 Interview?

11 posts in this topic

One of the listed requirements is "Lease or Mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy oof your communal residence"
My house is paid off. The only loan I ever had on this house was a home equity loan that I entered into, two years before my wife arrived (Since paid off) We don't have any joint mortgage/HELOC accounts for the house.

We do have joint bank accounts, I have her as a beneficiary for dental on my employer's dental insurance. She has a separate healthcare plan, but bills to our joint address.

I have several bills that have our mailing address, and she also has paycheck stubs with her mailing address... But recently she stopped working because I got a new job that pays better and overlaps with her previous job's hours (and she needed to be at home to take care of our toddler)
We've also had a kid together, and have birth certificate for the boy. 
We have Income Tax returns etc. 
We have a lot of photos of us together. 
We also may be able to provide medical bills that show us both as parents. 

Any other recommendations on what to bring?

Edited by JFox762

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Those are examples of evidence....not requirements.

Are you both on the deed?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

This is a list of additional documents we took with us to my interview:

• Advance Medical Directives for Both Spouses, showing each other as healthcare agents
  • Emergency Contact Information Sheet, obtained from places of work for both spouses
  • Salary Warrant Recipient Designation
  • Employer Health Benefits Election Statements for 2022

• Tax Return Transcript 2019, MFJ, due to Covid delays we had not received the 2019 transcript when filing for RoC
  • Tax Return Transcript 2020, MFJ, 2020 taxes were filed after sending the RoC package
  • Copies of IDs/Driver Licenses for Both Spouses, showing same residential address (had I not had this document, officer wanted to copy our IDs at the interview anyway)
  • Rental Increase Notice, showing the names of both spouses in the same address
  • Joint Checking Account Transactions, covering the period after sending the RoC
  • Copies of a Few Select Rental Checks, paid from our joint checking account
  • Renters’ Insurance, showing both spouses as beneficiaries
  • Spouses Mentioned as Designated Beneficiaries for Savings Account,
  • -Life Insurance Coverage, not sent with the original RoC package

• Flight Itineraries, trips taken and booked after sending the I-751

Was the child born before you guys sent your RoC package? If not, then definitely the birth certificate showing you both as parents. For us the interviewer was very interested in hearing whether we have kids or if we plan for having kids 🤷🏼‍♂️ (We don’t.)

Edit: Sorry, pasting the list messed up my formatting.

Edited by Locito

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

On 11/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, Crazy Cat said:

Those are examples of evidence....not requirements.

Are you both on the deed?  

No. Just me. I bought this house 10 years ago. Long before I met her. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, JFox762 said:

I'm the only one on our deed.  We just had copies of our driver's licenses that showed the same address.  And do be careful - there is a real difference between a REQUIRED piece of documentation and a suggestion in a list of evidence.

Best of luck to you!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, JFox762 said:

Then, I agree that the deed along with documents showing both of you living at that residence is good evidence.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 5:13 PM, JFox762 said:

One of the listed requirements is "Lease or Mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy oof your communal residence"
My house is paid off. The only loan I ever had on this house was a home equity loan that I entered into, two years before my wife arrived (Since paid off) We don't have any joint mortgage/HELOC accounts for the house.

We do have joint bank accounts, I have her as a beneficiary for dental on my employer's dental insurance. She has a separate healthcare plan, but bills to our joint address.

I have several bills that have our mailing address, and she also has paycheck stubs with her mailing address... But recently she stopped working because I got a new job that pays better and overlaps with her previous job's hours (and she needed to be at home to take care of our toddler)
We've also had a kid together, and have birth certificate for the boy. 
We have Income Tax returns etc. 
We have a lot of photos of us together. 
We also may be able to provide medical bills that show us both as parents. 

Any other recommendations on what to bring?

It is what it is. 

Every couple is different, there's no obligation to name your spouse in the deed of a home purchased before the marriage, and USCIS can't make you do that.   You can prove when you bought your home and provide evidence that both of you live at the property, and you should be OK. 

Follow Sukie's advise and be mindful of which evidence is required and which is suggested, and take everything you can with you to the interview.  Make sure it is well organized so that you can produce anything that is required quickly.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, JFox762 said:

Same with me.  I included an explanation of that when I filed my 751 packet.  Had our interview this morning.  IO never asked or mentioned anything about it.   

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, lsu_mike said:

Same with me.  I included an explanation of that when I filed my 751 packet.  Had our interview this morning.  IO never asked or mentioned anything about it.   

Hey! Can you share your interview experience?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

44 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

Hey! Can you share your interview experience?

Sure

we had about a 10 minute before the interview.  Once inside the interviewer’s office he swore us in.

he asked for our ids. Ask both of us our names, birthdays, and address. He then ask is to verify the signatures on the 751 were ours.  

he spent a few minutes going thru out submitted packet and forms. He then ask how and when we met. Asked me, if and when I had traveled to my wife’s country. At what point we decided to marry and where we were married.   

the only documents he asked for was our original marriage certificate.  

he told us “all looks good and favorable”. He said to expect his decision in the mail in the next 2 to 3 weeks.  He said if he needed any further evidence he would be in touch. 

last thing he asked was if we would like to add any other documents to our file. I gave him our last 2 years of tax returns and some papers from my wife’s employer showing me as beneficiary to her 401k and life insurance.  

upon leaving he wished us a Merry Christmas.  

super nice guy. Had a very pleasant experience.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
11 hours ago, lsu_mike said:

Sure

we had about a 10 minute before the interview.  Once inside the interviewer’s office he swore us in.

he asked for our ids. Ask both of us our names, birthdays, and address. He then ask is to verify the signatures on the 751 were ours.  

he spent a few minutes going thru out submitted packet and forms. He then ask how and when we met. Asked me, if and when I had traveled to my wife’s country. At what point we decided to marry and where we were married.   

the only documents he asked for was our original marriage certificate.  

he told us “all looks good and favorable”. He said to expect his decision in the mail in the next 2 to 3 weeks.  He said if he needed any further evidence he would be in touch. 

last thing he asked was if we would like to add any other documents to our file. I gave him our last 2 years of tax returns and some papers from my wife’s employer showing me as beneficiary to her 401k and life insurance.  

upon leaving he wished us a Merry Christmas.  

super nice guy. Had a very pleasant experience.  

Check your case status online a decision might have been made already 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.