AnnaCa

Refused entry DS-260

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi, 

We just got our NOA2 for the I-130 and I am starting to gather information and documents for the NVC stage. 

I encountered this question: "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, or been refused admission to the United States, or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry?" 

Long story short, my husband and I got married through Utah virtual ceremony this January. 

The next week I was trying to fly into the US and I had all the required documents. However, at the airport in Amsterdam, the woman at the gate looked at me and my papers and said they were not valid/legal and said she could not let me on the plane. She picked up the phone and called someone (I do not know who), and then she said she had spoken to someone in the US and that I was not allowed to board the flight. 

I turned around, hopped on a flight to Aruba, stayed there for 14 days and entered the US without any problems. 

In May this year, I again tried to fly to the US,, with the same documents and had no issues whatsoever.

So I assume I have to click yes on this question on the form. But how do I explain it? Writing "They did not think my marriage certificate was real" seems like a huge red flag. 

Any input would be highly appreciated! 

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 14.37.59.png

Edited by AnnaCa
typo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
8 minutes ago, AnnaCa said:

Hi, 

We just got our NOA2 for the I-130 and I am starting to gather information and documents for the NVC stage. 

I encountered this question: "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa, or been refused admission to the United States, or withdrawn your application for admission at the port of entry?" 

Long story short, my husband and I got married through Utah virtual ceremony this January. 

The next week I was trying to fly into the US and I had all the required documents. However, at the airport in Amsterdam, the woman at the gate looked at me and my papers and said they were not valid/legal and said she could not let me on the plane. She picked up the phone and called someone (I do not know who), and then she said she had spoken to someone in the US and that I was not allowed to board the flight. 

I turned around, hopped on a flight to Aruba, stayed there for 14 days and entered the US without any problems. 

In May this year, I again tried to fly to the US,, with the same documents and had no issues whatsoever.

So I assume I have to click yes on this question on the form. But how do I explain it? Writing "They did not think my marriage certificate was real" seems like a huge red flag. 

Any input would be highly appreciated! 

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 14.37.59.png

No, refusal would be at the port of entry with an immigration officer.

Sounds like this person messed up.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Babu Frik said:

No, refusal would be at the port of entry with an immigration officer.

Sounds like this person messed up.

Oh, okay, I guess that makes sense. And yes, she probably did - she seemed like she had woken up on the wrong side of the bed 😌

Thank you for your reply! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The answer is "No".  You denied boarding by the airline.  You never applied for admission.

I was, but online in my I-94 it says that I arrived in the US, then it also says that I arrived 2 weeks later 😅 I just do not want to mess it up  

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 15.07.16.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, AnnaCa said:

I was, but online in my I-94 it says that I arrived in the US, then it also says that I arrived 2 weeks later 😅 I just do not want to mess it up  

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 15.07.16.png

Are those dates correct? Did you arrive in USA on those dates?

Timeline
Just now, Mike E said:

Are those dates correct? Did you arrive in USA on those dates?

No, I was only supposed to arrive in the US on the 01/30, but never got on the airplane.  

Then I did  arrive in the US on the 02/14 after 2 weeks in Aruba 

Timeline
Just now, AnnaCa said:

No, I was only supposed to arrive in the US on the 01/30, but never got on the airplane.  

Then I did  arrive in the US on the 02/14 after 2 weeks in Aruba 

You will want to have CBP correct your I-94 record. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, AnnaCa said:

What’s the best way to go about that? 

Call the CBP office at the port of entry CBP alleges to entered and ask for the I-94 correction department. Ideally you will get an email address to send your documentation.  Keep a record of your email.  

It is also possible CBP will tell you contact its data contractor to fix the problem. If so again keep a record of your attempt to correct it. 

Having made the attempt and having evidence you did not enter the USA on the alleged day, you’ve done your due diligence 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Long story short also, have the same “issue” on my I-94 and wasn’t even aware that there is the possibility to correct it with CBP. I was prepared to explain it and clear it at the interview, which I’ve had already, but the officer didn’t even ask about it. On my DS260 I put yes, because although it was also at the airport it happened at the US customs pre clearance at a port of entry but in your case it seems that it didn’t happen at the US customs pre clearance but the airline refused you to board. Unless, there is no US customs at the airport in Amsterdam and she was instructed over the phone? I’m not sure if that’s even a possibility. 

Edited by YYZ&MIA

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Call the CBP office at the port of entry CBP alleges to entered and ask for the I-94 correction department. Ideally you will get an email address to send your documentation.  Keep a record of your email.  

It is also possible CBP will tell you contact its data contractor to fix the problem. If so again keep a record of your attempt to correct it. 

Having made the attempt and having evidence you did not enter the USA on the alleged day, you’ve done your due diligence 

What kind of documentation would that be? Like my booking to Aruba or something, I do not think I still have the plane tickets for that. Maybe I am being very naive right now, but why is it so important that it is correct, I mean it is only 14 days difference. (I will still try to fix it though, just trying to get aware of the consequences)  

Timeline
1 hour ago, YYZ&MIA said:

Long story short also, have the same “issue” on my I-94 and wasn’t even aware that there is the possibility to correct it with CBP. I was prepared to explain it and clear it at the interview, which I’ve had already, but the officer didn’t even ask about it. On my DS260 I put yes, because although it was also at the airport it happened at the US customs pre clearance at a port of entry but in your case it seems that it didn’t happen at the US customs pre clearance but the airline refused you to board. Unless, there is no US customs at the airport in Amsterdam and she was instructed over the phone? I’m not sure if that’s even a possibility. 

During covid, the airline companies have had a lot of power on who they allow to board or not. I know a lot of people that have been having problems with different airlines, but I think Delta in Amsterdam has been especially difficult to deal with. 

So you didn't have any problems later with there being an extra arrival without a departure on your I-94? 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, AnnaCa said:

What kind of documentation would that be? Like my booking to Aruba or something, I do not think I still have the plane tickets for that. Maybe I am being very naive right now, but why is it so important that it is correct, I mean it is only 14 days difference. (I will still try to fix it though, just trying to get aware of the consequences)  

You didn’t enter Aruba that day. Presumably you have evidence you were in your country of origin the next day.  And maybe you got a refund for the air ticket.  Etc.  

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You didn’t enter Aruba that day. Presumably you have evidence you were in your country of origin the next day.  And maybe you got a refund for the air ticket.  Etc.  

I actually have nothing of that, I stayed at the airport hotel in Amsterdam and booked a new one way ticket to Aruba. KLM/Delta refused to refund my ticket. I do have my airbnb reservations etc from Aruba, and a passport stamp from Aruba the next day, maybe I can use some of that 😊 Thank you for your help! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.