Seowmi

Do I still need his plastic green card ?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My son who is a minor arrived in the country about four months ago with an immigrant visa also the same as the green card varies  for one year . I was able to get his SSN and just last week He received his American passport. He actually got his US passport through me  as a citizen. I paid his $220 for his green before he got to the country . I have called USCIS many times to get an information about when I will get his green card but no answer . 

my question is , does he really needs his green card since he has received his US passport already ?  Thanks  for reading guys . 

15 minutes ago, Seowmi said:

does he really needs his green card since he has received his US passport already ?

He doesn't need it.

15 minutes ago, Seowmi said:

I paid his $220 for his green before he got to the country .

That fee was optional in his case since he doesn't need the plastic Green Card.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Seowmi said:

My son who is a minor arrived in the country about four months ago with an immigrant visa also the same as the green card varies  for one year . I was able to get his SSN and just last week He received his American passport. He actually got his US passport through me  as a citizen. I paid his $220 for his green before he got to the country . I have called USCIS many times to get an information about when I will get his green card but no answer . 

I doubt he will get his green card since he is a citizen.  

Focus on his N-600. Easier to get his certificate of citizenship now since later in life when he needs it, it will be difficult to impossible for him to provide the evidence.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, HRQX said:

He doesn't need it.

That fee was optional in his case since he doesn't need the plastic Green Card.

thanks very much . So with your explanation it means I don’t need the plastic green card before I can apply for the N600 ? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, little immigrant said:

Does he have the stamp in his passport to endorse his visa when he came?

Doesn't matter at this point as the child now has their US Passport.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, Mike E said:

Focus on his N-600. Easier to get his certificate of citizenship now since later in life when he needs it, it will be difficult to impossible for him to provide the evidence.  

Is there anything the certificate of citizenship is necessary for that the passport (or expired passport) cannot provide?

23 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Is there anything the certificate of citizenship is necessary for

• certain federal jobs that require a security clearance
  • online voter registration form in Tennessee
  • there have been reports of some IOs asking for a CoC from petitioner despite the petitioner having a US passport

Otherwise, it's optional: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/n-600-application-for-certificate-of-citizenship-frequently-asked-questions

You are not required to file a Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship. The Certificate of Citizenship is an optional form. A validly issued U.S. passport generally serves as evidence of your U.S. citizenship during its period of validity unless that passport has been revoked by the Department of State. However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal
Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Is there anything the certificate of citizenship is necessary for that the passport (or expired passport) cannot provide?

It's not a requirement to have the certificate, but if he for whatever reason loses his passport and then the certificate is the only proof he has of his citizenship. Especially when older and the parents are not around anymore, better to get the certificate now and keep it in a safe place. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
18 hours ago, HRQX said:

However, you may be required to submit your Certificate of Citizenship when attempting to apply for certain other benefits, including, but not limited to:

• Social Security benefits
  • State issued ID including a Driver’s License or Learning Permit
  • Financial Aid
  • Employment
  • Passport Renewal

While so far I think you can use a U.S. passport card for all of the above (and for passport renewals $150 file search fee, albeit treated as a new passport application), I agree that in the future, it is likely government bureaucracies will start requiring primary evidence of citizenship (CRBA, USA birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship).  

In the USA there are effectively three classes of citizens:

* born in the USA 

* born abroad with one of the aforementioned documents 

* born abroad without one of the aforementioned documents

As an individual  of the lattermost group ages,  it becomes harder for that person to join the middle group.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, Scandi said:

It's not a requirement to have the certificate, but if he for whatever reason loses his passport and then the certificate is the only proof he has of his citizenship. Especially when older and the parents are not around anymore, better to get the certificate now and keep it in a safe place. 

OP could get a passport and a passpoet card. Use the passport for travel and put the passport card somewhere safe - much less expensive! We've never had to use the certificate except for getting the passport (and never will..). I'd save the money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, Daisy.Chain said:

OP could get a passport and a passpoet card. Use the passport for travel and put the passport card somewhere safe - much less expensive! We've never had to use the certificate except for getting the passport (and never will..). I'd save the money.

Talking about his child, whom got his citizenship through his parent. If something (God forbid) happens to his parents and his passport is lost, he has no evidence of citizenship. It's always good to give your child the gift of his own certificate. A passport and/or passport card does not have all the info the certificate has, such as the date you became a citizen etc.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

54 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Talking about his child, whom got his citizenship through his parent. If something (God forbid) happens to his parents and his passport is lost, he has no evidence of citizenship. It's always good to give your child the gift of his own certificate. A passport and/or passport card does not have all the info the certificate has, such as the date you became a citizen etc.

Individual choice. Personally, I'd save the money.

If you can afford to get the certificate than do that.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.