Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Crossed on July 26th, got the SSN within 2 weeks. Thought that was pretty fast lol 

Greencard though still waiting, paid the fee 2 months ago. I am back in canada to wrap up few things. My general concern is what do you guys say when crossing a border? lol

For example, when I drove from USA to CANADA. I just presented my Canadian passport, I doubt they even saw my CR1 visa, they took me as I am returning to Canada. Likewise, now when I go back to US, do i need to open that passport page and go as resident? or it really doesn't matter? This question will also come up when I hold 2 passports, is it illegal to enter Canada with canadian passport and usa with US passport? 

Edited by MiloPinkman

Timeline
On 8/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, MiloPinkman said:

My general concern is what do you guys say when crossing a border?

Answer all questions honestly.  Technically, you are a landed permanent resident of USA visiting Canada.  And you can stay in Canada as long as you want without the Canadian border agents giving you any trouble.  You have a legal right to cross both ways, so unless you are carrying piles of money or some contraband, they have no reason to give you a hassle.  And there is no penalty in telling the border agent you don't know how to answer his question because you are transitioning from a resident of Canada to a resident of USA.  The day I got my IR-1 endorsed and returned immediately to Canada, the Canadian agent asked where I lived.  I told him I didn't know where I lived since I had just become a LPR of USA 10 minutes ago.  So he asked where I payed taxes.  I told him I didn't know where I payed taxes the day of endorsement.  Really, he didn't even care what I answered.  He was just going through his rote questions.

Timeline
On 8/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, MiloPinkman said:

when I hold 2 passports, is it illegal to enter Canada with canadian passport and usa with US passport?

- You should always enter Canada as a Canadian (even if you are a USA resident or citizen). You probably don't even need a passport at a land border, just a birth certificate and drivers license.

- When you become a US citizen, you should always enter with the document proving your US citizenship.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Family One said:

- When you become a US citizen, you should always enter with the document proving your US citizenship.

I should specify:  -When you become a US citizen, you should enter USA as an American.  You still enter Canada as a Canadian, residing in USA.

Timeline

Question:

I am Documentarily Qualified (May 31, 2022) with no interview date yet. 

The same time I was DQ the NVC suggested that we add a joint sponsor onto my immigration application. The reason being my wifes (sponsor) current US income is slightly below the guideline however we have more than enough liquid assets in the US to supplement the income. (We should be fine).

The actual NVC Note: This case does not appear to meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

As we draw near to the possible interview we are thinking we should add a joint sponsor (US family member) to ensure that there are zero hiccups. 

The Question… In submitting a joint sponsor would that reset our place in the queue? It has taken so long to become documentarily qualified in the first place. 

Help!

Timeline
15 hours ago, Rabid Squirrel said:

The Question… In submitting a joint sponsor would that reset our place in the queue? It has taken so long to become documentarily qualified in the first place. 

When you become Documentarily Qualified, you maintain your place in the queue until the interview.  Any additional documents submitted before the interview are for the benefit of the Consular Officer who will interview you, not for the NVC.

@Rabid Squirrel I have the exact same situation pretty much. Although I’m pretty confident that you won’t be set back after being DQ’d, I was just going to wait till I had the interview letter to upload the joint sponsor docs just to be sure. 

Speaking of IL, congrats @hilaryb !! With your DQ date being later than @Rabid Squirrel , I wonder how they didn’t get one. But that makes me excited that mine being June 29th, I can expect one soon!

Edited by kryptonite
Error in date

Timeline
1 minute ago, QCCT said:

September 2020 (not a typo. actually 2020) We were upgraded from Spouse of LPR to spouse of USC in May 2022. I was convinced this was going to be our time. I am completely devastated...

What did NVC say??

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.