Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, DamAk said:

Congratulations!!

Idk what exactly happens in AP, but i think that's when they do some final checks and stamp your passport with the visa lol.

Issued FP is final processing when they prepare your passport to be sent out and send you the tracking number.

Thank you, I appreciate the info! I actually just got the tracking number a few minutes ago! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
58 minutes ago, From647to909 said:

Hi all!

I tried searching as much as I can, but I couldn’t find anything related. Apologies if this has been asked an answered before. 

I just went through Customs pre-clearance at Toronto Pearson (YYZ) as our POE, activating my newly received IR-1 Visa. I entered with my husband, the petitioner. 

I told the CBP officer that I was officially entering the US for the first time on my immigrant visa. I was not asked any questions. They took a picture using their webcam, stamped the passport on the same page as the visa, and let us through. No secondary screening, no questions, nothing. 

I’m kinda concerned that they didn’t actually activate the visa, if that’s even a possibility? I don’t know. The entire process walking into the airport to  getting to our gate took 17 minutes.  

How can I make sure everything’s good and we’ll receive the green card and SSN in the mail?

I crossed by land, and it was about the same process, except they confirmed our residential address (address where greencard will be mailed to). Did they ask you this?

Besides that we were also advised that LPR status for me is conditional because we are married less than 2 years and need to apply for ROC in 1 year and 6 months. We were asked to sign some papers that we understood this. Since you are IR1 I think this doesn’t apply to you.

I think you were processed fine. If your SSN doesn’t arrive within 2 weeks of your entry, then perhaps look into it more…

Timeline
3 hours ago, Sghen said:

Thank you, I appreciate the info! I actually just got the tracking number a few minutes ago! 

That's awesome! Best of luck on your move!!

Speaking of, I'm actually quite confused about what to update and who to inform of the move, with CRA, OHIP and banks. If anyone has an idea of what to do, please direct me to the appropriate threads because I'm reading contradicting information all over VJ (some from 5-10 years ago lol).

If there's a discussion page for making the actual move out of Canada, like this forum, that would be best.

Timeline
1 hour ago, TSmith said:

Hi there!

Does anyone know if the petitioner should go to the interview? Or can they? 

Please refer to the FAQ. In case of IR1/CR1, petitioner is not allowed at the interview.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
1 hour ago, DamAk said:

That's awesome! Best of luck on your move!!

Speaking of, I'm actually quite confused about what to update and who to inform of the move, with CRA, OHIP and banks. If anyone has an idea of what to do, please direct me to the appropriate threads because I'm reading contradicting information all over VJ (some from 5-10 years ago lol).

If there's a discussion page for making the actual move out of Canada, like this forum, that would be best.

As far as I know, all you need to do is:

1. Update your address phone number on your CRA account.

2. When you file for taxes next year, you will be asked if you have emigrated from Canada and the date.

3. After you cross, call service Ontario and inform them that you have left Canada so they can cancel your OHIP.

4. update your address and phone number at all your banks and with all the credit cards you hold. Make sure you update it for the 2 factor verification as well, because sometimes updating in the account does not update the two factor verification.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

As far as I know, all you need to do is:

1. Update your address phone number on your CRA account.

2. When you file for taxes next year, you will be asked if you have emigrated from Canada and the date.

3. After you cross, call service Ontario and inform them that you have left Canada so they can cancel your OHIP.

4. update your address and phone number at all your banks and with all the credit cards you hold. Make sure you update it for the 2 factor verification as well, because sometimes updating in the account does not update the two factor verification.

5. You may need to submit NR73 to CRA

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

Oh yes, forgot to mention, if you have investments, RSP and stuff, there might be things to do. I had none of that, so it was simpler to do.

I did call CRA and ask. They were very helpful and gave the whole list of things needed to do, but I didn’t take notes of things that didn’t apply to me.

Timeline
13 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Oh yes, forgot to mention, if you have investments, RSP and stuff, there might be things to do. I had none of that, so it was simpler to do.

I did call CRA and ask. They were very helpful and gave the whole list of things needed to do, but I didn’t take notes of things that didn’t apply to me.

Just be careful with CRA.  CRA Canada versus CRA Non Resident branches do NOT communicate with one another and it can cause a LOT of headaches.  I recently found out that I owed CRA NR money.  I've called like 100 times and was always told my account was clear.  So, now I'm fighting interest on the monies owed because I had no clue and they only sent me a NOA this year for money owed in 2017!!!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

If you do have investments in Canada, also be aware that you have to fill out the FBAR to appease the IRS.  Not difficult, just a pain and another thing to remember.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
13 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

This is so helpful, thank you!!

I did also call CRA just now and since i dont have any TFSA or RRSP contributions, it seems the process is quite simple for me on that end as well (phew lol).

The only thing left to take care of now, before leaving is point 4.

14 hours ago, Hawk Riders said:

Also confirmed this with them and there's no need to fill out NR73 as long as I call and update them of my emigration date. Apparently it's only for people who are unsure about their Canadian residence status.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Just be careful with CRA.  CRA Canada versus CRA Non Resident branches do NOT communicate with one another and it can cause a LOT of headaches.  I recently found out that I owed CRA NR money.  I've called like 100 times and was always told my account was clear.  So, now I'm fighting interest on the monies owed because I had no clue and they only sent me a NOA this year for money owed in 2017!!!

Oh what the..!

Do they have a different contact number?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out what you owed to CRA NR? Were you living in Canada in 2017? 

Sorry, this just got me concerned and raised a lot of questions.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, DamAk said:

Oh what the..!

Do they have a different contact number?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out what you owed to CRA NR? Were you living in Canada in 2017? 

Sorry, this just got me concerned and raised a lot of questions.

They have entirely different contact numbers and don't see each other's information.  I was living in the US in 2017.  They reassessed my non-resident return from 2014 and assessed monies owed.  They sent the notice in 2017 to my US address.  I called and CRA said nope, you're clear.  They failed to mention I didn't call the CRA NR line and that's where I owed.  So, I assumed all was fine.  Got a notice this year (also rather poor if you ask me...over 4 years and then demand money?!) called again.  Yep, you owe.  Like WT actual eff...

Anyway if you have a proper cross border accountant, it shouldn't be an issue.  My problem was we used PWC through my relocation package at work and it was an AWFUL experience to say the least.  So, hire a proper cross border accountant and you shouldn't have any issues.  It's just something to be aware of.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline

How long are people waiting in Montreal for the interview from the time you arrive until the time you can leave after the interview, typically. I am trying to determine that, if I have an interview at 11am if I will then be able to make a chest scan for 2pm.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TSmith said:

How long are people waiting in Montreal for the interview from the time you arrive until the time you can leave after the interview, typically. I am trying to determine that, if I have an interview at 11am if I will then be able to make a chest scan for 2pm.

Might be risky.  Some people are in and out in less than an hour, others it takes 2 or more.  How far is the appointment from the consulate?

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.