P055UM

Issues obtaining SSN after K1 visa

69 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 9/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, AW1704 said:

I figured as much.

I should also say, I can see both attempts from the Social Security Office to verify me on SAVE CaseCheck. The first attempt shows as completed, whereas the second is pending. I find it quite bothersome that the first shows as completed, but apparently the SS office think I haven't been verified. I entered legally after all! Makes me wonder if my record is somehow incorrect.

I'm not sure what State your located in, however, you can check with your local DMV about getting a temporary 1 year driver's license while your AOS is pending. Lots of States offer this. Check with them to see what their requirements are

"His march to greatness was not without disastrous stumbling" - Lewis Sinclair

Concurrent filing along with I-130, I-765, I-131

09/11/2021 - Mailed off package
09/14/2021 - Package delivered to lockbox  
09/17/2021 - Bank Acct. debited in the amounts of $1225 and $535
09/17/2021 - Received 3 SMS messages with Receipt Numbers @ 8:52PM
09/23/2021 - Received Form I-797C in mailbox with Notice Date of 09/16/2021
09/24/2021 - Received notice that Biometrics Appointment date has been scheduled
09/25/2021 - My wife received Form I-797C Notice of Action via USPS which included the online access code
10/01/2021 - Biometrics NOA arrived in mailbox
10/18/2021 - Biometrics Completed ( Case Status changed to "Case is Being Actively Reviewed")

04/06/2022 - EAD Card Is Being Produced

04/08/2022 - EAD Card Was Produced 

04/11/2022 - Card Was Picked Up By USPS

04/12/2022 - SS Card was delivered  to me

04/13/2022 - Card Was Delivered To Me By Post Office

09/01/2022 - I-131 Case Approved

09/02/2022 - Advanced Parole Document Was Produced

09/06/2022 - Advanced Parole Document Received

10/26/2022 - Interview Was Scheduled

11/29/2022 - Interview Completed (No Decision)

8 minutes ago, boy2aman said:

I'm not sure what State your located in, however, you can check with your local DMV about getting a temporary 1 year driver's license while your AOS is pending. Lots of States offer this. Check with them to see what their requirements are

Good suggestion, however unfortunately it’s a thought I’ve already had, and had nixed. 

The state are very happy to issue licenses to people on AoS, however if you originally entered on a K1, there is no path to getting a DL without an SSN. The state does have rules allowing people who are ineligible for SSNs to get DLs, but apparently this never applies to those who entered on a K1, even if they are in the period between expiry of I94 and granting of EAD (meaning an SSN will not be granted). Cracks into which to fall abound. 

Edited by AW1704

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 minute ago, AW1704 said:

Good suggestion, however unfortunately it’s a thought I’ve already had, and had nixed. 

The state are very happy to issue licenses to people on AoS, however if you originally entered on a K1, there is no path to getting a DL without an SSN. The state does have rules allowing people who are ineligible for SSNs to get DLs, but apparently this never applies to those who entered on a K1, even if they are in the period between expiry of I94 and granting of EAD (mean an SSN will not be granted). Cracks into which to fall abound. 

Oh. I see. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your issue with the SSN will be rectified soon so you can take care of other things. 

Good luck to you!

"His march to greatness was not without disastrous stumbling" - Lewis Sinclair

Concurrent filing along with I-130, I-765, I-131

09/11/2021 - Mailed off package
09/14/2021 - Package delivered to lockbox  
09/17/2021 - Bank Acct. debited in the amounts of $1225 and $535
09/17/2021 - Received 3 SMS messages with Receipt Numbers @ 8:52PM
09/23/2021 - Received Form I-797C in mailbox with Notice Date of 09/16/2021
09/24/2021 - Received notice that Biometrics Appointment date has been scheduled
09/25/2021 - My wife received Form I-797C Notice of Action via USPS which included the online access code
10/01/2021 - Biometrics NOA arrived in mailbox
10/18/2021 - Biometrics Completed ( Case Status changed to "Case is Being Actively Reviewed")

04/06/2022 - EAD Card Is Being Produced

04/08/2022 - EAD Card Was Produced 

04/11/2022 - Card Was Picked Up By USPS

04/12/2022 - SS Card was delivered  to me

04/13/2022 - Card Was Delivered To Me By Post Office

09/01/2022 - I-131 Case Approved

09/02/2022 - Advanced Parole Document Was Produced

09/06/2022 - Advanced Parole Document Received

10/26/2022 - Interview Was Scheduled

11/29/2022 - Interview Completed (No Decision)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 10/5/2021 at 8:40 AM, AW1704 said:

The state are very happy to issue licenses to people on AoS, however if you originally entered on a K1, there is no path to getting a DL without an SSN. The state does have rules allowing people who are ineligible for SSNs to get DLs, but apparently this never applies to those who entered on a K1, even if they are in the period between expiry of I94 and granting of EAD (meaning an SSN will not be granted). Cracks into which to fall abound. 

Which state? My bro in law (from Russia) got a Texas drivers license on a tourist visa. It’s called a “limited” license, and is only valid for the duration of the visa.

also, for what it’s worth, we had our I-94 printed out and the SSA office still couldn’t clear with with SAVE or whatever. We gave up. But probably should have tried a different office further away.

Edited by nekotakacho

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 minutes ago, nekotakacho said:

Which state? My bro in law (from Russia) got a Texas drivers license on a tourist visa. It’s called a “limited” license, and is only valid for the duration of the visa.

also, for what it’s worth, we had our I-94 printed out and the SSA office still couldn’t clear with with SAVE or whatever. We gave up. But probably should have tried a different office further away.

Yes try another. I was turned away at the first office, the woman I got to talk to claimed I couldn't get a SSN because there was an issue with my i-94. So I went to a different one a couple of days later, the second office had more knowledgeable staff and I didn't have any issues applying for my SSN there (the SS card showed up in my mailbox 4 weeks later). There really shouldn't be such huge differences, but unfortunately there are. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 8:42 PM, PBoland said:

I presume many of the responses in this thread are pre-COVID and though the intent is to be helpful, it’s apples and oranges. Their experiences are simply moot.

However I think we are going to contact a couple SSA offices based on the conversations herein and see what they say.  It’s almost certainly too late anyway as we are scheduled to get married on the 13th (9 days).  But if we can apply for the darn thing inside of a week then we will.

Agree with the point about pre-covid experiences, totally different now. Were you able to apply for the ssn within that week before you got married? And what does apply even mean, are we good to go through with the marriage once we send them the papers (assuming it's by mail) or is it an appointment they set with you in person? I ask since all the offices are showing as closed.

7 hours ago, Mahza said:

Agree with the point about pre-covid experiences, totally different now. Were you able to apply for the ssn within that week before you got married? And what does apply even mean, are we good to go through with the marriage once we send them the papers (assuming it's by mail) or is it an appointment they set with you in person? I ask since all the offices are showing as closed.

I don't know how they do it in other parts of the country, but for me it was an in-person appointment which was arranged over the phone. My understanding is that SS offices are closed for walk in appointments, but are operational for things that cannot be done remotely.

As for when to get married...that is totally up to you, of course. Check the forums around here - from my reading it seems like the biggest issue with doing SSN after marriage is confusion around name changes. However in principle you can apply for the SSN after marriage - I both arranged the appointment and applied when I was already married. Be prepared though for SSA staff not knowing things they should indeed know - eg. some have been told they cannot apply after marriage - and be ready to escalate you concerns if you don't believe you're getting good service.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Any ideas of how long it takes for the person to show up in the SAVE system? We entered on 11/20/2021 and I'm still not seeing my (now) husband's info based on I-94, Passport Number or Alien Number..

8 hours ago, NB5347 said:

Any ideas of how long it takes for the person to show up in the SAVE system? We entered on 11/20/2021 and I'm still not seeing my (now) husband's info based on I-94, Passport Number or Alien Number..

Has he applied for the SSN yet? I don’t think you will see he him in SAVE until a check is made on him by a benefit-granting agency (SSA, DMV etc) - it doesn’t show ‘him’ so much as others trying to verify him. 

Based on when he entered, seems about the perfect time to call SSA and make an appointment. Where I am, they make you wait an arbitrary two weeks from entry but since he is very close to that, I’d be tempted to chance my arm and get the appointment booked (assuming they’re still not taking walk ins). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
1 hour ago, AW1704 said:

Has he applied for the SSN yet? I don’t think you will see he him in SAVE until a check is made on him by a benefit-granting agency (SSA, DMV etc) - it doesn’t show ‘him’ so much as others trying to verify him. 

Based on when he entered, seems about the perfect time to call SSA and make an appointment. Where I am, they make you wait an arbitrary two weeks from entry but since he is very close to that, I’d be tempted to chance my arm and get the appointment booked (assuming they’re still not taking walk ins). 

Got it, thank you! I'll keep trying, the last few times I've called it just sounds busy busy busy! 

33 minutes ago, NB5347 said:

Got it, thank you! I'll keep trying, the last few times I've called it just sounds busy busy busy! 

Good luck! :) :)

32 minutes ago, Navatha said:

when did you get ssn after save status shows "case returned to agency"

From memory, a couple of weeks.

From my perspective, SAVE is a good tool to check the status, but shouldn't be the only thing you rely on. Generally, whilst waiting after the first four weeks, I'd say call once per week from then on (starting on the four week anniversary). Checking SAVE before you call is a good thing to do to prepare for what they are likely to tell you. Once it changes to returned, I would call immediately to to enquire as to the status, as well as to let them know that you aren't going to let them forget about you.

2 hours ago, AW1704 said:

From memory, a couple of weeks.

From my perspective, SAVE is a good tool to check the status, but shouldn't be the only thing you rely on. Generally, whilst waiting after the first four weeks, I'd say call once per week from then on (starting on the four week anniversary). Checking SAVE before you call is a good thing to do to prepare for what they are likely to tell you. Once it changes to returned, I would call immediately to to enquire as to the status, as well as to let them know that you aren't going to let them forget about you.

Do I need to call Maryland SSA office or visit local security office. When I contacted local ssn office, they mentioned status is pending verification. It’s been already month I applied for ssn. Can you let me know how long did it take for you to receive ssn card ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.