Carpe Vinum

Balikbayan Entry Into The Philippines

37 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

I just can't get excited about going to Philippines any time soon. I refuse to wear a mask in public unless in an Airport or plane,  I can't do 10 locked down in a hotel upon entry.

I hope things change before next summer because we want to go visit my wife's family and only have a limited amount if time off work to go so quarantine time will eat up a big chunk of our time in the Philippines.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

The three times my wife returned under quarantine it has got longer each time but as recently as May there has never been any LGU involvement or any apparent mechanism that would even notify the LGU. This most recent trip her test result cam slightly after midnight the early AM of her release date and although she didn't check out or go home until the next day she was immediately free to come and go from the hotel as an ordinary guest.  It may be different if someone must travel to a provence that has it's own rules.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

8 hours ago, jg121783 said:

I hope things change before next summer because we want to go visit my wife's family and only have a limited amount if time off work to go so quarantine time will eat up a big chunk of our time in the Philippines.

Hopefully by next summer the Philippines will take on a new or different attitude toward the Covid.  For the last 17 months they have taken the approach of curl up in the fetal position and lay there and hope things get better and shut everything down and stay home and shut down parts of the country

Maybe by this time next year they will decide or learn how to live or deal with the Covid.  I keep seeing they want 70% of the population fully vaccinated, I don't see that ever happening.   

Maybe new leadership in May and new President will pave the way for the Philippines to get back to normal.  I can't see the people of Philippines tolerating lockdowns/quarantines for another year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi not sure if I'm in the right place but maybe someone can help.. we just got back from sm north satellite immigration office & they refused to extend my 13yr old step daughter visa.. 

She was born in Philippines and is a naturalized u.s. citizen and has both valid passports, but not yet a dual citizen..

At first I thought she had a balikbayan stamp but they put "PP" 1year in her u.s. passport.

According to the rude lady at the satellite office she does not need an extension? Then why does it say "PP" 1 year ??? Any help is greatly appreciated 🙏

3 hours ago, defeedme said:

She was born in Philippines and is a naturalized u.s. citizen and has both valid passports, but not yet a dual citizen..

Your daughter could not have naturalized as she is only 13 years old.  I assume she acquired US citizenship through her biological parent who did naturalize.  This is a key difference because by not taking the US oath herself, that means your daughter did not lose her Philippine citizenship when she automatically acquired US citizenship.  She is already a dual PH-US citizen, hence no need for BB extension.  As a PH citizen, she is free to stay in the country as long as she wants.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Your daughter could not have naturalized as she is only 13 years old.  I assume she acquired US citizenship through her biological parent who did naturalize.  This is a key difference because by not taking the US oath herself, that means your daughter did not lose her Philippine citizenship when she automatically acquired US citizenship.  She is already a dual PH-US citizen, hence no need for BB extension.  As a PH citizen, she is free to stay in the country as long as she wants.

Well tickle me pink you are the first person to explain that and it's written nowhere easy to find . My 13 yr old step-daughter got her citizenship thru her naturalized mother but her certificate of naturalization is identical - so not sure what that means. According to everyone I have spoken to so far she is NOT a dual citizen yet, just like her mother. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks again

Edited by defeedme

1 minute ago, defeedme said:

My 13 yr old daughter got her citizenship thru her naturalized mother but her certificate of naturalization is identical - so not sure what that means.

Are you sure your daughter has a certificate of naturalization?  Not a certificate of citizenship?  Naturalization is only for people 18 years old and above.  It is the act of taking the US oath of allegiance that makes someone lose their Philippine citizenship.  If your daughter never took the US oath, then she never lost her PH citizenship.  That said, PH consulates or DFA will happily take your money if you want official recognition of your daughter's dual citizenship, even if it is unnecessary.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Chancy said:

Are you sure your daughter has a certificate of naturalization?  Not a certificate of citizenship?  Naturalization is only for people 18 years old and above.  It is the act of taking the US oath of allegiance that makes someone lose their Philippine citizenship.  If your daughter never took the US oath, then she never lost her PH citizenship.  That said, PH consulates or DFA will happily take your money if you want official recognition of your daughter's dual citizenship, even if it is unnecessary.

Well tickle-me-pink once again! You are right the certificates look so similar I just assumed they were the same lol.. so all the incompetent rude lady at the immigration office had to say is: "your daughter is automatically a dual citizen" ?  what's bizarre is even the people at the West Palm Beach USCIS field office failed to mention this to us!

WoW not sure why nobody knows this critical information and hopefully in the future if anyone is in the same boat they will find this thread and save a full day trip to SM North, well at least my son had alot of fun there  😁   🇵🇭 

Edited by TBoneTX
image removed - personal information showing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An image showing personal information has been removed from this VERY PUBLIC forum.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
Just now, TBoneTX said:

An image showing personal information has been removed from this VERY PUBLIC forum.

VJ Moderation

ok.. well we are a very public family lol

diving a little deeper - the language they use here is vague and misleading.. maybe on purpose.

"IF USCIS waives the oath requirement?" - why is it an IF, when in the sentence before they say "Accordingly, USCIS waives the oath requirement"

I remember this issue distinctively because the West Palm Beach field office was forcing my step-daughter to miss school in order to attend HER "oath ceremony" - it appears they don't know their own rules - I wrote to USCIS on 3 different occasions asking why my daughter had to miss school and if there was any way to avoid her having to go there.. Each response was useless and apathetic. 
Even when we got there they didn't quite understand what she had to do, and had her do a "quasi" oath ceremony by making her feel good and sign her own name. Again their vague rules state "a child younger than 14 years of age are GENERALLY unable to understand the meaning of the oath" - well my 13yr old is mature and DEFINITELY understands the meaning (in fact she was studying citizenship with her mother) - so what happens in that case?? apparently it doesn't matter if she understands the meaning or not since she was issued a Certificate of Citizenship, correct?  Unclear Things like this are what infuriates people and creates distrust with the government. 

Oath Waiver for Children under 14 Years of Age

The INA permits USCIS to waive the taking of the Oath of Allegiance if USCIS determines the person is unable to understand its meaning.[14] USCIS has determined that children under the age of 14 are generally unable to understand the meaning of the oath. Accordingly, USCIS waives the oath requirement for a child younger than 14 years of age, at the time of naturalization. If USCIS waives the oath requirement, USCIS issues a Certificate of Citizenship after the officer approves the application.[15]

"IF" SHOULD BE REPLACED WITH "SINCE" 

On 10/6/2022 at 8:48 AM, defeedme said:

so all the incompetent rude lady at the immigration office had to say is: "your daughter is automatically a dual citizen" ?  what's bizarre is even the people at the West Palm Beach USCIS field office failed to mention this to us!  what's bizarre is even the people at the West Palm Beach USCIS field office failed to mention this to us!

In fairness to USCIS, they have nothing to do with Filipino Citizenship laws and wouldn't probably know much about it.  USCIS shouldn't be giving advice about Filipino Citizenship.  The lady at the SM north satellite immigration office was probably rude and unhelpful but her response was at least correct so she is probably competent.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
16 hours ago, top_secret said:

In fairness to USCIS, they have nothing to do with Filipino Citizenship laws and wouldn't probably know much about it.  USCIS shouldn't be giving advice about Filipino Citizenship.  The lady at the SM north satellite immigration office was probably rude and unhelpful but her response was at least correct so she is probably competent.

fairness to USCIS?  they are the reason we have 20 million illegal aliens in the U.S.A. lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.