Tampatownfan

Routine or Extraordinary?

16 posts in this topic

Excuse me, this is more of a review, but ultimately I'd be interested to hear opinion on whether this sort of behaviour by the embassy is normal or not. Initial information though is we have been married 14 years this month and have lived in both the UK and the USA during that time, I have previously had permanent residency, but formally surrendered it when we moved to the UK. My initial interview was scheduled back in early May, but due to my overseas working routine and due to the fact I was visiting my wife in Florida, plus quarantine requirements etc when we received the short notice email, I was unable to attend. After some waiting to coincide with my next leave period, I finally managed to arrange my medical and interview, which was completed on the 26th July. What with  quarantine having arrived from an Amber country, attending the medical and then waiting to allow the results to be sent to the embassy, I pretty much had about 10 days after the interview before I had to leave the country again to return to my job. During the interview I highlighted my employment, which was listed in the documentation as we have all had to do, and informed her that I was due to leave early in August and would need my passport as it contained my work visa for the country I work in and would be needed to allow me to return to work.

She promptly informed me that she needed to see originals of some of my wife's documents, which I found slightly strange as I had interpreted the notices that it was my originals that were required. As a result I was issued a 221g for two of her documents and one of mine. I immediately called my wife in the USA and she set about re-ordering new certified copies and getting them couriered to me to pass on to DX to courier them to the embassy. The IO stressed that as soon as she received the documents she would be able to issue the Visa, and that the sooner I got them back to her the sooner she would be able to issue it. She kept my main passport.

Imagine my surprise however when one week later, having already shipped the documents to the embassy, I received an email saying I had to complete a 5535 and answer some specific questions on my movements and employment, all of which had been done in previous documentation. I should add at this point that I hold a Global Entry authorisation to the USA and was also a B2 visitors visa holder up until the interview, she cancelled that 'without prejudice' as she interviewed me. I had therefore already disclosed my employment details and movements to homeland security, USCIS and everyone else who conducts the checks. The B2 was in a second UK passport that I have for work reasons. The IO had stated that if things were to take any longer than this short delay she would send me my passport to allow me to return to my job. 

When it became clear that things were not going to be sorted quickly, in the words of the consulate, 'we have no indication how long the review will take', I messaged the embassy and requested that my passport be returned to me quoting the conversation with the IO. I received an acknowledgment of my email, but then silence. I subsequently went over on my leave period and had to try to arrange an alternative visa for my country of work. Our plan incidentally was for me to finish my contract, which is well paid and already covers the bills in the USA and then work close to home in the new year.

So here we are a month later and the tumble weed continues to blow across our case, with no updates on CEAC since the 12th Aug. What do you think, somewhat strange or perfectly normal?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Personally I think it is your case that sounds out of the norm; so the extra steps, documents, and time are not unusual. 

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Personally I think it is your case that sounds out of the norm; so the extra steps, documents, and time are not unusual. 

Although I tend to agree, Im left frustrated because my background is extremely well known to all of the relevant 'agencies', and I can't help feel someone has over reacted to the information and locations involved.

4 minutes ago, Tampatownfan said:

Although I tend to agree, Im left frustrated because my background is extremely well known to all of the relevant 'agencies', and I can't help feel someone has over reacted to the information and locations involved.

Yes, it can be a frustrating process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am going to assume the reason you have 2 passports is a factor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
54 minutes ago, Tampatownfan said:

my background is extremely well known to all of the relevant 'agencies',

The agencies don’t always talk to each other. And I think it’s your job to present it in a tidy package to satisfy your interviewing officer, rather than him having to dig it out from other places. 

16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Yep, that struck me first. Then the things that aren’t mentioned could be a factor—-country of birth, country of passport, country of current job and past jobs, skills or training, places visited, country of family members if not UK.

18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It's actually not that unusual for people in the UK who work in contracting and international business. Ironically its permitted for this very reason, so we can still conduct international business or travel to contracts while visas are applied for and issued etc. It was declared from the get go and was also the case when I applied for and received my B2 and Global Entry a few years ago. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I knew people who have had 2 passports and why.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The agencies don’t always talk to each other. And I think it’s your job to present it in a tidy package to satisfy your interviewing officer, rather than him having to dig it out from other places. 

Yep, that struck me first. Then the things that aren’t mentioned could be a factor—-country of birth, country of passport, country of current job and past jobs, skills or training, places visited, country of family members if not UK.

There are some aspects that I have chosen to not disclose here, but believe you me having gone through the processes before, I have disclosed everything in detail and supported by evidence on everything and everywhere I do and have worked. Anyone who knows the Global Entry system being used in the USA will know there is a stringent background and homeland security check prior to being approved, so being a security risk is not an issue. Having said that, as you mention, the inability to communicate between agencies including USCIS, Immigration, Homeland Security, FBI and other areas of State Department is as you say, well known.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Tampatownfan said:

There are some aspects that I have chosen to not disclose here, but believe you me having gone through the processes before, I have disclosed everything in detail and supported by evidence on everything and everywhere I do and have worked.

I understand. No problem. But asking a forum for opinions without giving more information makes it difficult to discuss much, other than saying your case sounds more complicated than the typical case. Let us know when it all gets sorted.

As an update to things, the CEAC record had been saying 'Refused', with the usual blurb about request for documents etc up until the 27th Aug. It has now changed  to Administrative processing and possibly taking 'Several Weeks'. Im feeling somewhat better about this as it will still be several weeks before I get back to the UK from my work location. Plenty positive thinking that all will soon be resolved and the visa will be issued and sent back to me shortly.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tampatownfan said:

As an update to things, the CEAC record had been saying 'Refused', with the usual blurb about request for documents etc up until the 27th Aug. It has now changed  to Administrative processing and possibly taking 'Several Weeks'. Im feeling somewhat better about this as it will still be several weeks before I get back to the UK from my work location. Plenty positive thinking that all will soon be resolved and the visa will be issued and sent back to me shortly.  

Good news. That status change let’s you know the wheels are turning, albeit slowly. A little assurance that somebody is now working on your case goes a long way to relieve the anxiety. 

35 minutes ago, Tampatownfan said:

Much like a train, nothing happens then all at once a veritable avalanche of updates. A new notification today, 'ISSUED - Your visa has been printed"  To say we are over the moon is an understatement. 

Congratulations! Did you get an email or was it just a case of checking the CEAC website? I am also waiting on the embassy to give me my passport back.

1 hour ago, justkeepwaiting said:

Congratulations! Did you get an email or was it just a case of checking the CEAC website? I am also waiting on the embassy to give me my passport back.

I just checked the CEAC site. I noticed that they typically update it between 10-11am, and just had a quick check to see if there had been any change and boom, there it was. 36 days after the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.