TheGreenPenguin

Lost Green Card While in Canada / I-90 Form Questions [merged threads]

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I have a 10 year green card that is currently missing while outside the US. 

I am a Canadian citizen and currently in Vancouver, British Columbia. I was looking for something in my wallet and noticed that my green card wasn't in it and have been frantically looking for it and having my wife search for it at our home in Texas.

I was looking up the procedure for what to do in case I am unable to locate my green card prior to returning to the US. I saw that I would need to file form I-90 when back in the US to replace my green card if I am unable to find it. I also saw information on filing form I-131A to obtain a "boarding foil" from the US Consulate in Vancouver. 

However, from what I've read (and I could be mistaken) - this is primarily used to board a plane destined for the United States. I was planning to enter the US by land  as I have a flight booked from the Bellingham, Washington airport to Texas.

I was planning to call the border crossing or other relevant government agency to inquire about the situation. But, I thought I would post here to see if I could get any other tips on how to proceed with this situation.

Since I would be entering the US by land as a Canadian citizen, I wasn't sure if I was able to avoid having to fill out form I-131A and just file form I-90 when back in the US.

In case it matters, some evidence that I would be able to present at the border checkpoint would be:

-My Texas driver's license.
-I could obtain my expired 2 year conditional green card from my wife.
-My social security card.
-The paper that I received when I was originally sent my 10 year green card. I believe it has a number and some other information on the paperwork.

-My Canadian passport.

I don't have a copy of my 10 year green card. However, I went to a bank in Texas a couple months ago and they made a copy of it at the bank - so I would be able to inquire with them about obtaining a copy.

Thank you for any information.

Edited by TBoneTX
topic title edited to indicate merge

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

****I moved this topic to the Canada regional discussion area where members who are more familiar with the entry process from Canada can answer****

I am no expert on entry from Canada, but I don't think you will have any problems at the border.  Good Luck.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will need to present your GC at the border to enter the US. 

Any chance you took it out on entry to Canada? I know it is not normal but one year they did ask me how I was in the US for so long and wanted my GC. If you did maybe call the border to make sure you didn't leave there without it. 

Where have you been staying? 

Have you been in Taxis, buses, friends, cars? 

Time to tear them apart looking and looking again. 

You're going to need to file a police report and then get a foil pass to get home. I'm not sure if you can get one in BC or have to use Montreal. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

As far as I know, CBP will be able to confirm by other means that you are still a LPR and grant you entry. You may be charged some kind of fine or filing fee to waive the I-551 documentary requirements for entry, but as far as I know CBP don't bother levying the fine.

You can get a boarding foil if you choose but that's more so air carriers will let you board a plane, not really needed for re-entry by land. CBP may give you a telling off for not having your GC, so be prepared for that.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information from everyone, I apologize for the delaying in following up.

I've yet to re enter the US yet. But, I contacted the Port of Entry that I would be crossing at and explained my situation.

They informed me that it wouldn't be an issue to cross without my green card and that the boarding foil is not necessary. 

I was told that I had two options:

1: To show up at the border and fill out form I-90 there and pay the fee.

2: To file form I-90 online and show them the receipt for doing so when I get there.

I'll be filing form I-90 online prior to heading to the border - I'll update this thread after doing so when I do go across to share my experience in case anyone else comes across this topic in the future.

Hello,

I am in the process of filling out form I-90 to replace a lost ten year green card.

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on a couple questions.

My information: Came to the US on a K1, got a conditional green card, then filed for removal of conditions and received ten year green card (the one that was lost.).

1: The form asks for class of admission. I don't have a copy of my ten year green card to see what the class says on it. From reading over the selections, I was thinking it was potentially either IF1 or IR6. Would either of these likely be correct?

2: Another question asks: 

"Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status? (Provide the location of the U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate, or USCIS office where you applied for your immigrant visa or submitted your application for permanent resident status.)"

And below that one it says:

"Where was your immigrant visa or adjustment of status issued?
Provide the location of the U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate, or USCIS office that issued your immigrant visa or permanent resident status."

I wasn't sure what to put for either of these questions. I live in Houston, Texas.

3: It asks for the date that I've since been a resident. I have a copy of my old conditional green card - would I put the residence since date found on there? Or would there be a different date on my lost ten year green card?

Thank you for any information.

6 hours ago, TheGreenPenguin said:

The form asks for class of admission.

IF1 https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/lawful-permanent-residents/ImmigrantCOA

SKM_C45819092614083.jpg

"Where was your immigrant visa or adjustment of status issued?

Your local Field Office where the I-485 interview occurred.

It asks for the date that I've since been a resident. I have a copy of my old conditional green card - would I put the residence since date found on there?

Yes

7 hours ago, TheGreenPenguin said:

I'll be filing form I-90 online prior to heading to the border

After you file it your Receipt notice should be available as a PDF in your online account:

Screenshot_20200213-135934.png

On 8/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, Ontarkie said:

You will need to present your GC at the border to enter the US.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, Ontarkie said:

and then get a foil pass to get home. I'm not sure if you can get one in BC or have to use Montreal.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:38 AM, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

so air carriers will let you board a plane

As CBP informed OP the lost GC is not required. Also the boarding foil is not needed for land crossing and there is a workaround option when flying; see #2https://mx.usembassy.gov/lpr-cards-greencards-lost-stolen-expired/

If you are an LPR who has been outside of the United States for fewer than 365 days, below are three options for returning to the United States:

1. Apply for admission directly with Customs and Border Protection at a land port of entry. More information is available about land ports of entry at: http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports
  2. Ask your airline to call the Regional Carrier Liaison Group in Miami and seek permission to board without an entry document. The airline retains ultimate authority to board or deny boarding. This is a service provided by the airline to the passenger. The U.S. Embassy is not involved in the process. More information is available at: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-industry-personnel/carrier-liaison-prog
  3. Apply for a boarding foil (one-time entry) with the U.S. Embassy. To do this please follow the steps below:
Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Two related threads have been merged after one was moved to this forum.

The second (newer) thread was acceptable to remain in the forum where it was posted; however, it's part of the same ongoing issue, so merging was appropriate.

To the OP, good luck, and please update this thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

30 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

1. CF1 or IF1

2. The local office where you were interviewed for AOS.

3. The date of issuance on your old GC.

23 minutes ago, HRQX said:

CF1 or IF1 https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-statistics/lawful-permanent-residents/ImmigrantCOA

Your local Field Office where the I-485 interview occurred.

Yes

I hope I quoted the above correctly, if not I apologize. 

Thank you for the information.

I did my interview for my original conditional green card in Houston, TX and did not require an interview for my ten year green card.

So, would I put Houston, TX for both of these questions?:

"Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status?" and "Where was your immigrant visa or adjustment of status issued?"

They were two separate questions.

And I was still a bit confused on the Class of Admission. I read over the DHS link provided and I see that it says:

CF1: "Spouses, entered as fiance(e), adjustments, conditional"

IR6: "Spouses, adjustments"

I still wasn't entirely sure which one of those applies to me. With the CF1, I did enter as a fiance but don't currently have a conditional green card, and with the IR6, my card was the result of an adjustment to a ten year green card. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it.

And thank you for the quick responses!

21 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

To the OP, good luck, and please update this thread.

Thank you. I'll be returning to the US later in the week and I'll update the thread after doing so with my experience in case anyone else comes across this in the future. In my search for information relating to this issue, I had come across some older threads on this site that I was able to get some information from - so I'll provide the final outcome here later in the week.

"Where did you apply for your immigrant visa or adjustment of status?"

Chicago, IL https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/direct-filing-addresses-for-form-i-485-application-to-register-permanent-residence-or-adjust-status

"Where was your immigrant visa or adjustment of status issued?"

Houston, TX

And I was still a bit confused on the Class of Admission.

IF1 Spouses, entered as fiance(e), adjustments
Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

CF1 is conditional greencard, IF1 is the non-conditional greencard. 

I would put IF1 as that's your current class, you're no longer CF1.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

On 9/5/2021 at 11:30 PM, HRQX said:

Thank you for the information. One follow up question about Chicago - would it still be Chicago even though the form I had filed to receive the ten year green card that I lost was form I-751?

On 9/6/2021 at 2:18 AM, Scandi said:

CF1 is conditional greencard, IF1 is the non-conditional greencard. 

I would put IF1 as that's your current class, you're no longer CF1.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.