8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So my husband just did his biometrics appt on July 21, and we got a letter today saying his AOS interview is scheduled for August 23. We have some questions and things we want to clarify about the requirements. I did some searching on my own but it got more confusing, so I thought I'd just ask here:

1. For the Form I-693 and vaccine records - his original medical exam for the visa was in Feb. 2020. I know it says you don't need it if it's already been submitted, but I saw mixed advice here. Some said if it's over a year old you need a new one. Others have said that if you filed within a year of the medical then it's fine. We filed for AOS in Oct. 2020, so we FILED within a year, but obviously it's been more than a year between the exam and his AOS interview. To clarify, does he need a new medical exam in the next 3 weeks, and does he need to bring this form for the interview?
  2. For the I-864 - we also have already submitted this with his AOS packet. I am the only sponsor and was approved as such. However my work situation has changed to self employed, so I'm unsure if I need an updated I864, or updated evidence that I can support him (which is fine)? Should we bring the previous I864 just in case? If I need new evidence I don't know how to show proof of income - half the year i was employed by someone else, and since May I've been self employed.
  3. They ask for "all documentation establishing eligibility for LPR status". I assume that means his visa, our marriage license, and previous I797 from his AOS application. Maybe also I94 and marriage license. Am I missing anything here?
  4. They also ask for "any immigration documentation ever issued to you"... this is very vague. We do not have any of the examples the list (I766, 512, or 571). What do we need?
  5. Finally, they ask for "originals and copies of each supporting document you submitted with your application". Are they saying they want originals and copies of the ENTIRE I485 packet (which they clearly already have)? This seems excessive but I wouldn't put it past them.

I know this is alot to ask - but I know that USCIS has a habit of asking for things they already have... or saying you don't need to bring something and then you get there and they ask for it after all.. so I want to be 1000% sure that I'm clear about what we do and don't need. Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

1. If his vaccination sheet was marked as completed no new medical needed.

2. You could bring an updated I-864 just in case they ask. 

3. Yes all of that.

4. All the notices you ever received from USCIS 

5. For sure bring all the originals to the copys you already sent and copys and originals of all the new evidence since the day you filed. More bank statements, bills... all that stuff.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

1. If his vaccination sheet was marked as completed no new medical needed.

Sorry if this is an odd question, but what is his vaccination sheet?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ak5285 said:

Sorry if this is an odd question, but what is his vaccination sheet?

DS3025, filled out during the medical. He was supposed to get a copy of it.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

DS3025, filled out during the medical. He was supposed to get a copy of it.

Okay, so I found that and it's completed. Only thing is it says 'expiration date 10/31/20'. Not sure if that means the form itself or his vaccination record. 

Every forum I looked in, some people were like 'if the exam was done within a year of filing for AOS you're fine'... others said 'no if it's been more than a year since the exam then you need a new one'... I don't know which is true.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 minutes ago, ak5285 said:

Okay, so I found that and it's completed. Only thing is it says 'expiration date 10/31/20'. Not sure if that means the form itself or his vaccination record. 

Every forum I looked in, some people were like 'if the exam was done within a year of filing for AOS you're fine'... others said 'no if it's been more than a year since the exam then you need a new one'... I don't know which is true.

Expiration dates on forms are used for internal purposes only. I think my 485 was technically expired when I was interviewed. That didn't mean I had to fill out a new one.

The rules are clear. The immigrant doesn't have to redo your medical if they FILED for AOS within one year of the date of the medical. Even if the vaccination sheet was incomplete, he wouldn't need a whole new medical, he would only need to complete the vaccination part. If you want to make sure the rule is gonna be followed by the IO, print a copy of the instructions and take to the interview with you.

Edited by Ayrton

47 minutes ago, ak5285 said:

Maybe you were looking at forums for people doing AOS from work/student/tourist visas?  The rules for K1 visa holders are different, and they're spelled out on page 8 of the I-693 instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-693instr.pdf

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Maybe you were looking at forums for people doing AOS from work/student/tourist visas?  The rules for K1 visa holders are different, and they're spelled out on page 8 of the I-693 instructions -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-693instr.pdf

2 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Expiration dates on forms are used for internal purposes only. I think my 485 was technically expired when I was interviewed. That didn't mean I had to fill out a new one.

The rules are clear. The immigrant doesn't have to redo your medical if they FILED for AOS within one year of the date of the medical. Even if the vaccination sheet was incomplete, he wouldn't need a whole new medical, he would only need to complete the vaccination part. If you want to make sure the rule is gonna be followed by the IO, print a copy of the instructions and take to the interview with you.

Just looked at the instructions and I see what you mean. Thank you for clarifying!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.