jkowalski

Used to travel to US on a B2 visa 2 years ago. Last year I change my citizenship to Canada. Now I will be going to USA on F1 status in September, how do I notify CBP or USCIS? (merged)

33 posts in this topic

Hello, I am going to start studying in the US as a student on F1 status in September. I wonder do I need to bring the original I-20 with me at the custom when flying in? Or maybe a print-out copy of I-20 is OK? Because it takes a very long time for the school to mail me the original I-20, I am trying to see if a print-out copy can be used.

And it seems that a canada student can apply for the F1 status (with I-20 and financial proof) at the custom border and it is not required to apply for the F1 visa at the embassy. I wonder if I am denied entry at the border, I need to buy another ticket to fly back to canada right away? Should I go to the embassy and apply for the F1 visa just in case there is a slight chance that I will be denied entry at the border? 

And because I am naturized canada citizen, I used to travel to usa about 2 years ago on a B2 visa using my birth country passport. How do I update the CBP or government that I have changed citizenship? Is there a website that I can update the citizenship status or should I call CBP?

If anyone can shed some light on the above question, it will really help a lot. I have been looking it up online for a long time, and I am not getting any definitive answer.

Thanks a lot. 

7 minutes ago, jkowalski said:

Because it takes a very long time for the school to mail me the original I-20, 

It’s the end of June, you’re starting September, how long exactly does the mail take from the US to Canada? Even the pony express would have made it with weeks to spare.

You don’t need to “update” the US on your new citizenship, just use your new passport. They’ll have your biometrics  in the system from previous entries of course so possible the CBP officer may ask about, it but nothing formal needs to be done.

If you are flying from Canada, I think all airports (all major ones anyway) have preclearance in Canada so you will know before you board the plane if you are admitted to the US (and won’t be allowed to board if you’re not, obviously).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Remember, one cannot enter US on a F1 visa more than 30 days before the school start date mentioned on I-20.

From DHS website:

Entering the United States

You are expected to have the original Form I-20 with ink signature on hand as you enter the country

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s the end of June, you’re starting September, how long exactly does the mail take from the US to Canada? Even the pony express would have made it with weeks to spare.

You don’t need to “update” the US on your new citizenship, just use your new passport. They’ll have your biometrics  in the system from previous entries of course so possible the CBP officer may ask about, it but nothing formal needs to be done.

If you are flying from Canada, I think all airports (all major ones anyway) have preclearance in Canada so you will know before you board the plane if you are admitted to the US (and won’t be allowed to board if you’re not, obviously).

Thanks a lot for the information.

I can definitely try to have the original I-20 mail to me. Because currently I am not in Canada, I was visiting grandparents in birth country in Europe and have been staying here for quite longtime due to COVID-19. And my home in birth country is in a very remote place very far away from city.  That is why I am a little concerned that I-20 will take a long time to mail to me. I wonder if I don’t have the original I-20. Can I use a print-out copy legally ? 

I will be flying with united airline (but I will be flying from my birth country). Will united airline know whether or not I will be admitted or denied in advanced before boarding? I think they only look at the passport, right?

It is good to know that there is no extra paper work to do in order to “update” CBP or government about my citizenship change.

Thanks a lot for your help.

11 minutes ago, arken said:

Remember, one cannot enter US on a F1 visa more than 30 days before the school start date mentioned on I-20.

From DHS website:

Entering the United States

You are expected to have the original Form I-20 with ink signature on hand as you enter the country

Thanks a lot for the information. Yes, I plan to fly in around middle or end of august.

In this case, I do need to get the original I20 in order to enter the country then. I think I will just have to find a very good couriers service and pay for the fastest global shipping in order to make it in time.

thanks a lot for your help.

52 minutes ago, jkowalski said:

Thanks a lot for the information.

I can definitely try to have the original I-20 mail to me. Because currently I am not in Canada, I was visiting grandparents in birth country in Europe and have been staying here for quite longtime due to COVID-19. And my home in birth country is in a very remote place very far away from city.  That is why I am a little concerned that I-20 will take a long time to mail to me. I wonder if I don’t have the original I-20. Can I use a print-out copy legally ? 

I will be flying with united airline (but I will be flying from my birth country). Will united airline know whether or not I will be admitted or denied in advanced before boarding? I think they only look at the passport, right?

It is good to know that there is no extra paper work to do in order to “update” CBP or government about my citizenship change.

Thanks a lot for your help.

No, United airlines  will have no idea.  When I mentioned preclearance in Canada , that is CBP at the airport.

I don’t know about the i20, hopefully someone else can answer that.

Hello I used to have a B2 visa visa and I travelled to US on a B2 visa 2 years ago.

Last year I change my citizenship to Canada and I have been admitted to school and will be going to USA on F1 status in September, how do I notify CBP or USCIS?

It seems that Canada citizen does not need to go to embassy and apply for F1 visa (can just fly in and apply for F1 status at the border). But because I am naturalized canada citizen and I used to have B2 visa on my birth country passport, do I need to go to embassy and apply for F1 visa just to be safe?

I have been researching online for some time and I get some conflicting answers. I really don't know what to do and how to notify CBP or USCIS that I have changed citizenship status. 

If anyone can shed some light on it, it will really help a lot. 

Thanks a lot

Edited by jkowalski

Timeline

You handover your Canadian passport at POE to get the F1 stamp. That's how you tell CBP of your Canadian citizenship.

Spouse:

Myself:

13 minutes ago, arken said:

You handover your Canadian passport at POE to get the F1 stamp. That's how you tell CBP of your Canadian citizenship.

Hello arken, thank you so much for your reply.

Because I am a naturalized canada citizen and I used to have a B2 visa (I travelled to US using the B2 visa 2 years ago; my birth country needs a B2 visa in order to enter US), is my situation a little more complicated than regular canada citizen?

I wonder should I contact the CBP over the phone or send them some official document over to prove that I have changed to canada citizen?

I am just just concerned that I will be rejected to enter the country because my I-94 is still showing my birth country citizenship status. 

Thank you so much. 

Edited by jkowalski

2 minutes ago, jkowalski said:

Hello arken, thank you so much for your reply.

Because I am a naturalized canada citizen and I used to have a B2 visa (I travelled to US using the B2 visa 2 years ago; my birth country needs a B2 visa in order to enter US), is my situation a little more complicated than regular canada citizen?

I wonder should I contact the CBP over the phone or send them some official document over to prove that I have changed to canada citizen?

I am just just concerned that I will be rejected to enter the country because my I-94 is still showing my birth country citizenship status. 

Thank you so much. 

Jeez dude, stop overthinking! The official document that proves you are a Canadian citizen is your Canadian passport! 

The only reason you might need to worry is if you violated the terms of your b visa on your prior visit. 

Timeline

You are way overthinking. 

When you enter US on a Canadian Passport, you are a Canadian citizen for the US. That's it. 

Forget about past i94. You will get new i94 upon entry if allowed to enter.

Even before coming to POE to get F1 stamp, you will have already updated your citizenship info with DHS through I20 and Sevis payment. I-20 lists your citizenship info. 

Spouse:

Myself:

Timeline
16 minutes ago, jkowalski said:

Even canada born citizens aren't guaranteed to enter US for study. If you are denied entry to study, that has nothing to do with your old i94 or birth coutry.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

Myself:

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Jeez dude, stop overthinking! The official document that proves you are a Canadian citizen is your Canadian passport! 

The only reason you might need to worry is if you violated the terms of your b visa on your prior visit. 

Thank you so much for the information, SusieQQQ.

I definitely didn't overstay when I was in the B2 visa 2 years ago. I definitely have left within the required time period. 

Because I am really new to the US I-94 system. When I check my I-94 online, it shows my B2 visit entry date , but it didn't actually show my departure date. Is it normal that my I-94 is missing my departure date and should I be concerned about it? If there is a mistake about my departure date on I-94, is it possible to fix it? 

Thank you so much.

Edited by jkowalski

1 minute ago, arken said:

Even canada born citizens aren't guaranteed to enter US for study. If you are denied entry to study, that has nothing to do with your old i94.

Yes, definitely. It is not guaranteed to be able to enter the US to study (even with all the right documents, passport, etc.). Because I am a naturalized canada citizen who used to have a B2 visa, it is even more confusing for the CBP officer.

I am just concerned that if I run into an officer who is in a bad mood at the border , he will just simply reject me after seeing my I-94 citizenship status doesn't match my canada citizenship. 

Therefore, I just want to contact CBP and USCIS and let them know in advance that I have changed citizenship to canada. In this case, even if I run into an officer who is in a bad mood at the border, I will not be rejected. 

Is there a way to update my I-94 to change my citizenship status?

Thank you so much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.