prettylilraindrop

travelling to Uk from US- positive for covid

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys, so I don't know if anyone can help me. I had covid in December, I'm fully vaccinated (since the start of May) but I'm now having some minor covid symtoms. I'm really hoping it's nothing, but I am due to travel to the UK from the US 2 weeks today, so I am terrified. All I can read on the website is that you HAVE to have a negative test before travel. Is this still the case if you tested positive 2 weeks ago? I know the usual quarantine after testing positive is 10-14 days so this confuses me. Especially as you can sometimes test positive for months after...

I really am worried as I haven't seen my family in over a year now and I would just hate this to mean I can't go.  Any advise or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
22 hours ago, prettylilraindrop said:

Hey guys, so I don't know if anyone can help me. I had covid in December, I'm fully vaccinated (since the start of May) but I'm now having some minor covid symtoms. I'm really hoping it's nothing, but I am due to travel to the UK from the US 2 weeks today, so I am terrified. All I can read on the website is that you HAVE to have a negative test before travel. Is this still the case if you tested positive 2 weeks ago? I know the usual quarantine after testing positive is 10-14 days so this confuses me. Especially as you can sometimes test positive for months after...

I really am worried as I haven't seen my family in over a year now and I would just hate this to mean I can't go.  Any advise or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

You have to test negative before you travel. So that’s your first hurdle. If Positive, you don’t go. This is an overview https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

The US is on the Amber list so you must quarantine in the place you’re staying and take 2 COVID-19 tests after arrival. Here’s the testing and quarantine rules for after arrival in England from an Amber list country.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
On 6/26/2021 at 10:50 AM, Wuozopo said:

You have to test negative before you travel. So that’s your first hurdle. If Positive, you don’t go. This is an overview https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

The US is on the Amber list so you must quarantine in the place you’re staying and take 2 COVID-19 tests after arrival. Here’s the testing and quarantine rules for after arrival in England from an Amber list country.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

Thank you for your response. I was seeing the same information, it just seems weird that there is no exceptions for if you have been positive, but over the 14 days needed for quarantine as I have known people test positive for months after. In fact, I might still test positive from my positive result in December!

I'm hoping it comes back negative, I won't know until next week but all I can do is keep fingers crossed I suppose!

On 6/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, prettylilraindrop said:

Thank you for your response. I was seeing the same information, it just seems weird that there is no exceptions for if you have been positive, but over the 14 days needed for quarantine as I have known people test positive for months after. In fact, I might still test positive from my positive result in December!

I'm hoping it comes back negative, I won't know until next week but all I can do is keep fingers crossed I suppose!

Why would you want to put all the other people on that flight at risk though?  Is a vacation worth that?

Timeline
10 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Why would you want to put all the other people on that flight at risk though?  Is a vacation worth that?

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. According to the CDC, passengers are considered no longer contagious and able to leave quarantine after 10 days of symtoms/ testing positive. For entering the US you have to show a negative test result OR proof you have recovered from Covid in the last 3 months. I am not saying people should be able to travel after having JUST received a positive test result, obviously, but I am saying if it has been over the 10 days, they are considered no longer infectious, therefore should be able to travel? I have seen numerous reports of people testing positive weeks, even months after having covid. These people are no longer infectious, so it doesn't seem fair that they can't travel.

It's also not just a vacation, I haven't seen my family since last March because of Covid and have been closely following all recommendations in terms of travel and Covid in general. Only now do I feel it is safe enough to do so after my family and I being fully vaccinated (which I know isn't fool-proof), plus the probability of there being another spike around winter time is high so it's either go now or who knows when.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

You might want to delay your trip?

I can't delay my trip, the flight is non refundable and not able to be changed either. So if I cancelled, I would lose everything. I don't think I have covid, I have since been taking allergy pills and have been feeling better. I'm also hugely paranoid because I want this trip to go ahead, hence the worry. Aside from recently having covid, I have been fully vaccined, which I know isn't 100% but still my chances of having covid should be fairly low, especially as I barely ever leave the house.

I still think it's weird that they don't consider people who have tested positive, but are no longer contagious/ have recovered from covid as this has happened to many people. I haven't taken a covid test since December when I tested positive, so I can only hope it comes back negative because sometimes people can test positive for months despite obviously no longer being contagious.

Also- not sure why you reacted confused to my last reply? I don't see what's confusing about saying people who have recovered from covid should be allowed to travel lol.

Edited by prettylilraindrop

Timeline

Just adding this info from the CDC so people understand what I'm talking about:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

What information must be included on the test result?

A test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy). The documentation must include:

1. Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  2. Entity issuing the result (e.g. laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
  3. Specimen collection date. A negative test result must show the specimen was collected within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the specimen was collected within the 3 months before the flight.
  4. Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
  5. Test Result

I am a little bit confused about people reacting so negatively to what I'm saying. There are many people who have tested positive week and months after recovering from covid. If you consider this to be putting people at risk, then by that logic a lot of people are putting people at risk, since the CDC only recommend quarantining for 10 days...

Anyways, I came here for help not for people to pass judgements. i would in no way put people at risk and would never consider travelling without leaving at least 10 days from testing positive/ having symtoms, just as the guidance suggests. When I say I was also having "minor symtoms" I mean minor, like allergy symtoms, nothing like what I experienced when having Covid in December but because of my paranoia I was panicking it could still be Covid, which if it was by the way I would've been OVER the 10 days before travelling. I understand the severity of Covid which is why I have gone without travelling so long and have waited until I was fully vaccinated to do so. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by prettylilraindrop

3 minutes ago, prettylilraindrop said:

Just adding this info from the CDC so people understand what I'm talking about:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

What information must be included on the test result?

A test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy). The documentation must include:

1. Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  2. Entity issuing the result (e.g. laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
  3. Specimen collection date. A negative test result must show the specimen was collected within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the specimen was collected within the 3 months before the flight.
  4. Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
  5. Test Result

I am a little bit confused about people reacting so negatively to what I'm saying. There are many people who have tested positive week and months after recovering from covid. If you consider this to be putting people at risk, then by that logic a lot of people are putting people at risk, since the CDC only recommend quarantining for 10 days...

Anyways, I came here for help not for people to pass judgements. i would in no way put people at risk and would never consider travelling without leaving at least 10 days from testing positive/ having symtoms, just as the guidance suggests. I understand the severity of Covid which is why I have gone without travelling so long and have waited until I was fully vaccinated to do so. 🤦‍♀️

I’m not confused.   I’m saying it’s selfish to travel by plane with covid symptoms.   That plane could have vulnerable people on board. 

If you ask for feedback here, don’t be surprised when you get it.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I’m not confused.   I’m saying it’s selfish to travel by plane with covid symptoms.   That plane could have vulnerable people on board. 

If you ask for feedback here, don’t be surprised when you get it.

Again, wouldn't be travelling with Covid symptoms as I have stated in that post lol. People can test positive for months after recovering, so I was saying if I did have covid THEN (which was a week ago btw), I don't travel until next Friday. As I stated I have been taking allergy pills and feel much better now and was only experiencing very MINOR symtoms, so it would've been over 10 days since I last had symtoms. However, I could still test positive. Again see this info from CDC if you don't believe me about that:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/isolation.html

"If you have recovered from your symptoms after testing positive for COVID-19, you may continue to test positive for three months or more without being contagious to others. For this reason, you should be tested only if you develop new symptoms of possible COVID-19. Getting tested again should be discussed with your healthcare provider, especially if you have been in close contact with another person who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days."

I also didn't ask for feedback on people's opinions on the travel requirements, I was asking whether there was anything in place for entering the UK if you have had Covid, aren't showing symtoms but are still testing positive. I was asking specifically because there is something in place for that for entering the US, as I explained in my last post.

You must have proof of a negative COVID test before entering the UK otherwise you aren't getting in, and for good reason.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

You must have proof of a negative COVID test before entering the UK otherwise you aren't getting in, and for good reason.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

I have read that info. I was asking specifically because the CDC offers an alternative of a positive test to show you have recovered in the last 3 months.... because people can test positive for months after having covid when they're not contagious. Please read my last posts about this...

Just now, prettylilraindrop said:

I have read that info. I was asking specifically because the CDC offers an alternative of a positive test to show you have recovered in the last 3 months.... because people can test positive for months after having covid when they're not contagious. Please read my last posts about this...

I'm giving you the regulations as required for entry into the UK and since you've read them, then you know what you have to do. They don't care what the CDC might say. You have to follow the regulations of the country you are entering into. If you are still positive then you cannot enter the country and that's what the test will determine.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, prettylilraindrop said:

I understand what you are saying, but there's no way around the current restrictions. There's really no point in worrying until you get the results of your Covid test. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

1 minute ago, beloved_dingo said:

I understand what you are saying, but there's no way around the current restrictions. There's really no point in worrying until you get the results of your Covid test. 

Indeed. If the passenger attempted to enter the UK and couldn't provide a negative test they're going to have a whole world of bigger worries on their hands. One should hope for the best results possible of course, and make plans if they need to delay travels further until they are negative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.