MinhNguyen

Change of Status B-2 to F-1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi guys,

I just want to share how I change my status from B-2 to F-1 and how long does it take, as listed below as history for my case:

May 4, 2021 Case Was Approved
May 4, 2021 USCIS reopened your Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
May 3, 2021 USCIS reopened your Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, and are reconsidering our earlier decision.
April 26, 2021 USCIS received your response for Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
April 1, 2021 USCIS sent a request for additional evidence for your Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.
March 9, 2021 The fingerprints relating to your Form I-539 Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, were taken.
November 13, 2019 USCIS accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. Our California Service Center location is working on your case.
November 7, 2019 USCIS received your Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm a little confused. 

So have you:

1. Got your F-1 or

2. You just filed for change of status and asking how long it'll take?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Timona said:

I'm a little confused. 

So have you:

1. Got your F-1 or

2. You just filed for change of status and asking how long it'll take?

1. I got it on May 4th, 2021, F-1 Visa

2. I file for change of status on Nov 2019 and got approval on May 2021

Timeline

So you applied in November 2019 and juts got approved in 2021? Honestly, though approved, it may be a futile effort. Why? During this COVID times, a lot of people applied for B-2 extensions and change of statutes, got approved in the same fashion as you, but when the approval arrived, they were way out of status and as such, the approval is futile. 

1. When did you first come into the US on your B-2?

2. When did you first authorized stay expire? 

I just don't understand what status you've been in from November 2019 upto May 2021.

I'll let others chime in.

Maybe @Lucky Cat can give his insight on this. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Timona said:

So you applied in November 2019 and juts got approved in 2021? Honestly, though approved, it may be a futile effort. Why? During this COVID times, a lot of people applied for B-2 extensions and change of statutes, got approved in the same fashion as you, but when the approval arrived, they were way out of status and as such, the approval is futile. 

1. When did you first come into the US on your B-2?

2. When did you first authorized stay expire? 

I just don't understand what status you've been in from November 2019 upto May 2021.

I'll let others chime in.

Maybe @Lucky Cat can give his insight on this. 

I did 3 visa extension during the time my change of status pending, they are all approved before the change of status get approval

Timeline

The extensions were all approved in 2021, right? Or were there some approved in 2020?

So what have you been doing? Sitting at home doing nothing for a year and a half waiting for a status that allows you to study? How was this better than getting a student visa from your home country that probably would have been successful more than a year earlier?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

So what have you been doing? Sitting at home doing nothing for a year and a half waiting for a status that allows you to study? How was this better than getting a student visa from your home country that probably would have been successful more than a year earlier?

Let say, I have enough money to just stay home and do nothing for 2 years

Timeline
5 hours ago, Timona said:

The extensions were all approved in 2021, right? Or were there some approved in 2020?

All extension got approval almost same time, on March 2021, and then I got request for evidence for change of status on Apr 2021

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

Did you mean to say Nov 2020 or was it really Nov 2019?

Nov 2019 I filed for that case and got approval after 18 months

45 minutes ago, MinhNguyen said:

Let say, I have enough money to just stay home and do nothing for 2 years

Uh ok whatever. I guess we should thank you for showing others who might be reading it that they too need to be prepared to do nothing for 2 years waiting 🤷‍♀️ Many people would find this way too boring a way to spend their young lives, money or not, so good for them to know

Timeline
21 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Uh ok whatever. I guess we should thank you for showing others who might be reading it that they too need to be prepared to do nothing for 2 years waiting 🤷‍♀️ Many people would find this way too boring a way to spend their young lives, money or not, so good for them to know

Whatever you think, I just want to share my experience for those who choose that path, not to show off 

7 minutes ago, MinhNguyen said:

Whatever you think, I just want to share my experience for those who choose that path, not to show off 

Like i said, thank you, it is valuable for people to know how very long the process takes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
27 minutes ago, MinhNguyen said:

So it means you always have to enrolled in school and renew I-20 until you are on that status? Can you leave the country? 

My Time line is Updated! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, MinhNguyen said:

All extension got approval almost same time, on March 2021, and then I got request for evidence for change of status on Apr 2021

Nov 2019 I filed for that case and got approval after 18 months

Honestly, you were way out of status and I think this approvals are useless. 

Let's wait and see if knowledgeable people on this specific matter will come and chime in.

I am not well versed with extensions. But whatever I told you was from reading prior experiences posted by others who did the same thing as you, only to realize those extensions came way too late, hence useless though approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.