Sparkey

SSN and DL questions

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I already saw this but this is not what I'm asking. 

I won't have an SSN until it is issued after sending in the AOS

I'm asking if I can drive with my Canadian DL until that is received even though it will be like 8 months. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Be very careful when you search the internet for this answer as one site says the following:

Non-Immigrants are entitled to a one year driver license or ID. ... Non-immigrants who have never been issued a US social security number are not required to provide proof. However, all customers who have been issued employment authorization cards are required to obtain and provide proof of a US social security number.

but the florida DMV says residents have 30 days to change to Florida license 

and you are (according to DMV) a resident if you reside in Florida for 6 months

so,  i would have the USC contact the DMV and ask 

i see confusing info

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

I already saw this but this is not what I'm asking. 

I'm asking if I can drive with my Canadian DL until that is received even though it will be like 8 months. 

You asked "How do I go about getting a drivers license?".  That answers your question.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

Can I still continue to drive it while waiting for EAD?

For the first 30 days, it seems.  

26 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

You should apply for a SSN immediately after arriving BEFORE marriage.  

Edited by Lucky Cat

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

For the first 30 days, it seems.  

You should apply for a SSN immediately after arriving BEFORE marriage.  

Thanks! Will I need to get a new SSN after marriage? 

I was told if I get a SSN before marriage and then get a DL, the DL would only be valid for 90 days. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

Thanks! Will I need to get a new SSN after marriage? 

I was told if I get a SSN before marriage and then get a DL, the DL would only be valid for 90 days. 

You would not need to get a new SSN after marriage.  The length of your DL depends on state law.  A SSN is used for many things.  I strongly suggest you apply before marriage and immediately after arrival.  It will come in handy for several reasons.  Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

Does importing the car make any difference? I plan to import st time of crossing. 

I don't think importing your car makes any difference in the license acquisition process.

I think it probably will affect your search for insurance, however. With how crazy insurance companies can be, I'm pretty interested in what your experience will be with trying to get an imported car insured. If you could share, I would be grateful.

Good luck!

👐

Patience......patience.

Timeline
Just now, neca said:

I don't think importing your car makes any difference in the license acquisition process.

I think it probably will affect your search for insurance, however. With how crazy insurance companies can be, I'm pretty interested in what your experience will be with trying to get an imported car insured. If you could share, I would be grateful.

Good luck!

This whole process is a pain lol 

I wonder if I can import my car at time of crossing but then continue to drive with my Canadian DL and registration until I receive an SSN and can get a US DL.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

You would not need to get a new SSN after marriage.  The length of your DL depends on state law.  A SSN is used for many things.  I strongly suggest you apply before marriage and immediately after arrival.  It will come in handy for several reasons.  Good luck.

If I take his name, won't I need an updated SSN?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

Wonderful, wonderful bureaucracy :bonk:

8 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

I wonder if I can import my car at time of crossing but then continue to drive with my Canadian DL and registration until I receive an SSN and can get a US DL.

As Lucky Cat said, I think you can drive for the first 30 days on your foreign license, but from my own research it seems like the laws can vary from state to state, and what happens if you are stopped is at the discretion of the officer that stops you. The thing I know less about is insurance...you're not meant to drive an uninsured car, but I don't know if there is a window of time that you can still use your old credentials before switching over. I've seen plenty of Canadian plated cars in my travels, so there must be something to that effect...

Think this might be a job for outside research.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

Don't know if this applies to you as a future resident.

https://cars.lovetoknow.com/Can_I_Take_my_Canadian_Car_to_the_US_to_Stay

This suggests contacting a Florida DMV for specific instructions, but it seems like it'll be best to register your car with your local DMV as soon as you can after arrival.

It might be fruitful to look into getting an International Driver's Permit, in case the covid delays on anything means you'll have to wait longer than is convenient. It might let you drive legally longer than the first month, depending on state laws (though, I don't know if you being a new resident as opposed to a visitor will change the efficacy of that).

I'm sorry I can't give you anything definitive as far as knowledge goes. I hope this helps, at least.

👐

Patience......patience.

28 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

If I take his name, won't I need an updated SSN?

Answer will depend on the state you're moving to.  Keeping your name will save you the hassle.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You will not have much luck getting a drivers license until after you do your AOS.  My wife was able to get it with her NOA1 for AOS, but I have heard others having problems getting a drivers license until the green card is in hand.

We do get plenty of Canadians that own property here and live here for just under 6 months and they drive with their Canadian license.

People hate it when I ask, how can one be considered a resident if they are not a legal permanent resident?

Edited to add:  Get your SSN ASAP.  Don't worry about how name change for that.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.