Karabast39

DOB typo on I-129F petition-- how bad is it?

14 posts in this topic

I have discovered that I submitted the wrong birth year of my fiancee in the petition, it was a typo that she and I both overlooked in the full proofread.  We found out when I 

opened the NOA1 we noticed the birth year of my fiancee was incorrect (off two years).  Has anyone seen that error result in an RFE?  (I have no concerns other than delays with petition, her passport copy is in the petition and she'll submit a correct CEAC and take her birth certificate to the interview and such.)  

I tried the Service Center website route on correcting typos, but it appears it exists to correct USCIS' typos and not ones as a result of a mistake in the petition.  Is that correct-- not applicable in my case?  (The website also does not recognize my mailing address zip code as valid so I can't submit anything).  

Thank you. 

Edited by Karabast39

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Karabast39 said:

I have discovered that I submitted the wrong birth year of my fiancee in the petition, it was a typo that she and I both overlooked in the full proofread.  We found out when I 

opened the NOA1 we noticed the birth year of my fiancee was incorrect (off two years).  Has anyone seen that error result in an RFE?  (I have no concerns other than delays with petition, her passport copy is in the petition and she'll submit a correct CEAC and take her birth certificate to the interview and such.)  

I tried the Service Center website route on correcting typos, but it appears it exists to correct USCIS' typos and not ones as a result of a mistake in the petition.  Is that correct-- not applicable in my case?  (The website also does not recognize my mailing address zip code as valid so I can't submit anything).  

Thank you. 

This is not significant for the petition 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Wait for RFE or correct it in the DS-160.  Reinforce the correction at the consular interview.  What matters is that the visa has the correct dob. If that is wrong then it is useless.  

Does the typo produce a dob that says the beneficiary is under age 18?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Wait for RFE or correct it in the DS-160.  Reinforce the correction at the consular interview.  What matters is that the visa has the correct dob. If that is wrong then it is useless.  

How will they ever know the DOB is wrong in order to issue said RFE?  That scenario will never happen. 

YMMV

4 hours ago, payxibka said:

How will they ever know the DOB is wrong in order to issue said RFE?  That scenario will never happen. 

I am sure you had to present some sort of supporting document with your date of birth, perhaps a copy of passport bio page or birth certificate. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

I am sure you had to present some sort of supporting document with your date of birth, perhaps a copy of passport bio page or birth certificate. 

Well, if you actually had looked,  you would find out that nothing in regards to the beneficiary's identity is required with the petition 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

Some people (like me) front load and include the beneficiary’s passport page even though documents showing dob of the beneficiary are not needed.  

Divorce decrees of the beneficiary are required and I can imagine some jurisdictions include dobs on those.  

Some airline itins might have dobs 

RFEs for other reasons are not uncommon and that is when I would include a statement correcting the error. 

Timeline

Not everyone is like you and secondly,  the OP already submitted a copy of the beneficiary’s passport ID page,  which would be acceptable as evidence of DOB.  Therefore,  any RFE would be for a document already in  evidence, your honor. 

YMMV

13 hours ago, Mike E said:

Does the typo produce a dob that says the beneficiary is under age 18?

No, it's not even close. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Don't sweat it.

That's a minor mistake compared to what I did in my wifes I129f and can probably be easily fixed on the ds160

I misspelled her sons name, and forgot his 2nd last name.

To fix it I wrote a letter explaining the mistake, made a copy of the NOA1, and sent a corrected i129f page to USCIS.   For her country the envelope recieved after the k1 interview had a corner cut in the packet.  I saw my letter for the correction inside the packet

This is the post I made after I realized the mistake.  NOBODY gave me a answer on it so I I it my way and it obviously worked. 😅

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Russel1995 said:

Don't sweat it.

That's a minor mistake compared to what I did in my wifes I129f and can probably be easily fixed on the ds160

I misspelled her sons name, and forgot his 2nd last name.

To fix it I wrote a letter explaining the mistake, made a copy of the NOA1, and sent a corrected i129f page to USCIS.   For her country the envelope recieved after the k1 interview had a corner cut in the packet.  I saw my letter for the correction inside the packet

This is the post I made after I realized the mistake.  NOBODY gave me a answer on it so I I it my way and it obviously worked. 😅

Note: with your mistake you probably can leave it for the ds160 to fix it.

Or you could write a letter and explain the error, and include a copy of the NOA1.  I dont think the mistake is major enough to justify a full corrected i129f page. 😅

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A couple of posts that could be perceived as noncontributory have been removed.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 4/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, Russel1995 said:

Note: with your mistake you probably can leave it for the ds160 to fix it.

Or you could write a letter and explain the error, and include a copy of the NOA1.  I dont think the mistake is major enough to justify a full corrected i129f page. 😅

Wow, thanks for that info.  Glad it worked out. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.