Shamla

CR1 without a travel document

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are doing well as we are all in this long journey together. I was hoping you can answer my question or dilemma. I will explain the situation clearly so that you have all the info in order to respond. 

I have known my boyfriend for 2.5 years now. He is a refugee in France. He has his temporary french residency card but it will take at minimum 6 months for him to get his permanent residence card. Only then can he apply for a french travel document. His current country passport is expired already :( In order for me to reduce the amount of waiting and being apart, I was thinking that I should apply for the i130 and get that part started at the 6 month mark of when he may get his permanent residency card and travel document. This would mean I apply for the i130 without a passport number or travel document number which I believe is fine to do at the USCIS stage. I believe I read that at the NVC stage is when a passport number or travel document number is needed. 

So here are my questions:

1. Can I indeed start the i130 without the passport number or travel document number?

2. After how many months on average would I need to wait in order to then provide the passport number or travel document number?

3. If by the time I need to provide the passport number of travel document number, let's say I don't have the passport yet and its still in processing, would NVC put his case on hold till they get that or will they deny and we have to start all over again?

Again my goal here is to reduce wait time and being apart so I was just trying to see if  I can time things correctly so everything can align :) Thank you all so much. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are doing well as we are all in this long journey together. I was hoping you can answer my question or dilemma. I will explain the situation clearly so that you have all the info in order to respond. 

I have known my boyfriend for 2.5 years now. He is a refugee in France. He has his temporary french residency card but it will take at minimum 6 months for him to get his permanent residence card. Only then can he apply for a french travel document. His current country passport is expired already :( In order for me to reduce the amount of waiting and being apart, I was thinking that I should apply for the i130 and get that part started at the 6 month mark of when he may get his permanent residency card and travel document. This would mean I apply for the i130 without a passport number or travel document number which I believe is fine to do at the USCIS stage. I believe I read that at the NVC stage is when a passport number or travel document number is needed. 

1. Can I indeed start the i130 without the passport number or travel document number?

2. After how many months on average would I need to wait in order to then provide the passport number or travel document number?

3. If by the time I need to provide the passport number of travel document number, let's say I don't have the passport yet and its still in processing, would NVC put his case on hold till they get that or will they deny and we have to start all over again?

Again my goal here is to reduce wait time and being apart so I was just trying to see if  I can time things correctly so everything can align :) Thank you all so much. 

1.  Yes

2.  Visa interview 

3. You can delay NVC until everything is ready 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

1.  Yes

2.  Visa interview 

3. You can delay NVC until everything is ready 

Thank you so much. For #3, is there a process to follow to delay until things are ready? I'm not sure how to go about that :) If the passport is only needed at the interview, do you mean we can delay the interview until he gets his passport?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Thank you so much. For #3, is there a process to follow to delay until things are ready? I'm not sure how to go about that :) If the passport is only needed at the interview, do you mean we can delay the interview until he gets his passport?

You would need to provide his travel document when filing the DS-260 visa application with the NVC.  The case will be held at the NVC until you provide all the required documents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Shamla said:

You have a year from when nvc gets the petition and notifies you to log in to your account.  Each time you log in, it resets the one year clock. You can simply slowly provide documents until you have everything. 

YMMV

Timeline
7 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You would need to provide his travel document when filing the DS-260 visa application with the NVC.  The case will be held at the NVC until you provide all the required documents.

Great. I assume the DS-260 needs to be filled out after 6-8 months from when you file the i130? I'm just trying to time things correctly. Is there any maximum time the NVC holds the documents? I don't mind it being held until we have the required documents, I just don't want to start all over again for some odd reason. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Great. I assume the DS-260 needs to be filled out after 6-8 months from when you file the i130? I'm just trying to time things correctly. Is there any maximum time the NVC holds the documents? I don't mind it being held until we have the required documents, I just don't want to start all over again for some odd reason. 

The NVC will close a case if there is no communication within a 12 month period.  As long as you send them an e-mail about the case before a year, they will keep the case open.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

The NVC will close a case if there is no communication within a 12 month period.  As long as you send them an e-mail about the case before a year, they will keep the case open.

Perfect. Thank you so much! I will definitely log on often and communicate. I appreciate your help. 

Timeline

So final question, if I login at the NVC stage, the clock resets? Do I just keep logging in or do I need to send them an email? I just want to make sure they don't close my case. I will keep logging in and send email if necessary just so my case is not closed for some odd reason. 

57 minutes ago, Shamla said:

Hello Everyone,

You know you must marry before submitting any petition, right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 hours ago, Shamla said:

No.

Your spouse can fill out the DS-260 at any time as long as the case remains active at NVC.  

In your case, have your spouse fill it out as soon as he gets his residency and have his renewed passport.  I don't believe he needs to upload the "travel document" at the NVC stage, unless it is part of his passport renewal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 hours ago, Shamla said:

I assume the DS-260 needs to be filled out after 6-8 months from when you file the i130? I'm just trying to time things correctly.

DS-260 is only available to be completed after the I-130 petition has been submitted, adjudicated, and approved, plus a few weeks for the file to arrive at the NVC, so all of that, plus getting married first, could take a long time depending on when you actually get married.  If you got married today, your 6-8 month estimate before the DS-260 stage at NVC may be accurate, but you are not yet married so add more time to your estimate, to do that and gather documentation needed to submit the I-130.  If you want to minimize time apart, my advice is to get married as soon as possible and submit the I-130, get in the queue for adjudication.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
23 hours ago, Shamla said:

Hello Everyone,

What Country is he from?

He could go to the embassy of his country there in France, they could maybe assist in issuing him  a new passport.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.