Tomaso11

F1 visa with a partner (u.s citizen) living in the u.s

38 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

(1) How long are you planning to study? Doing one semester without actually getting any time of degree... I doubt that's going to be accepted.

(2) No, a student visa is to study, not to spend time with your girlfriend.

You are just looking for an excuse to spend more time with your girlfriend. This student visa seems like an excuse. In college you actually have to be a full-time student and pass your classes; otherwise, you are going to get kicked out of college. You also have no clear reason for going to college and having a visa denial is not a good idea when you can visit the US under the waiver program.

Planning to study for 2 years, doing the whole course. I plan to attend full time and pass the classes and take the study seriously of coarse. But at the same time it's a good opportunity to spend more time with her.

3 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Planning to study for 2 years, doing the whole course. I plan to attend full time and pass the classes and take the study seriously of coarse. But at the same time it's a good opportunity to spend more time with her.

2 years would be like 50,000 dollars AT LEAST between tuition and living costs. The fact that you would be living with your girlfriend does not mean that you need to show less proof of funds to cover living costs. There are average living costs that colleges have and that's a good place to start; and California is expensive. 

If you don't have money in a bank account, I'd just leave this idea behind. It's just dumb.

Edited by Coco8

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

2 years would be like 50,000 dollars AT LEAST between tuition and living costs. The fact that you would be living with your girlfriend does not mean that you need to show less proof of funds to cover living costs. There are average living costs that colleges have and that's a good place to start; and California is expensive. 

If you don't have money in a bank account, I'd just leave this idea behind. It's just dumb.

Righto mate I appreciate the constructive input above, thats why I'm here obviously to find out about it, probably no need to call it out as dumb. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tomaso11 said:

Yeah all good points. Its going to be hard to prove that. If I went for a different course such as a culinary arts or something that was more relative to a baker then it may be more pheasable?

Now, it's obvious that you are shopping for a way to be with your girlfriend.  Whatever schooling that will get you a F1 visa to spend more time with her.  

Good luck.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Don’t. Just don’t. As others have suggested, you have a lot of red flags for material misrepresentation (lying to get to spend more time with your gf). Why not get married and do the CR-1 instead?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

33 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

Don’t. Just don’t. As others have suggested, you have a lot of red flags for material misrepresentation (lying to get to spend more time with your gf). Why not get married and do the CR-1 instead?

Yeah it seems like I might need another option  after reading these opinions, unfortunately we don't want to rush into marriage!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Yeah it seems like I might need another option  after reading these opinions, unfortunately we don't want to rush into marriage!

That’s understandable. Then the best thing to do is to get a B1 and prove ties to your home country 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

13 hours ago, Tomaso11 said:

Im 34 years old, and we have been together for 2 years

3 hours ago, Tomaso11 said:

Just curious and you don’t have to answer, but is your gf much younger than you? Most people your age would know after two years if this was the real deal or not, and I don’t think anyone would call a two year relationship “rushing into marriage”.

Btw I would not apply for a B visa in your situation. We have often, not always but often, seen skepticism of the motivation for applying for one (remember you also have to show ties to home for this one) for people who qualify for VWP/ESTA, and if you get denied a B visa you lose your VWP too. That would  really leave your only options as marriage to get to the US, or her coming to you. 

4 hours ago, Tomaso11 said:

What is your origin country? You might be eligible for VWP/ESTA. Google it and see if it applies to your home country. I would say you guys will need to wait until you are ready for marriage AND you are ready to emigrate permanently and fully to the USA before embarking on this legal process. Immigration records are 100% permanent. The last thing you want to do is have a "strike" against you somehow. 

55 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Just curious and you don’t have to answer, but is your gf much younger than you? Most people your age would know after two years if this was the real deal or not, and I don’t think anyone would call a two year relationship “rushing into marriage”.

Btw I would not apply for a B visa in your situation. We have often, not always but often, seen skepticism of the motivation for applying for one (remember you also have to show ties to home for this one) for people who qualify for VWP/ESTA, and if you get denied a B visa you lose your VWP too. That would  really leave your only options as marriage to get to the US, or her coming to you. 

I agree that 2 years is a good amount of time for most adults to know if a relationship is the real deal or not, but marriage is definitely a big step and it's not one-size-fits-all. My best friend and her boyfriend live in the same city (my hometown) and have been together for longer than me and my husband. They don't even live together still, let alone are thinking about marriage. They're definitely very much in love but they have their own reasons for doing it this way and it works for them. It's pretty clear OP wants to be with his girlfriend but yes, they will need to wait until they're ready to get married before taking action on anything immigration-related.

Edited by mushroomspore

1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

You might be eligible for VWP/ESTA

The first post says he was just visiting for 3 months using ESTA.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

a two year relationship

I was definitely still sleepy this morning and this was an oversight. Two years is definitely not a rush marriage 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

No she's 2 years younger. Most people haven't been in a 2 year long distance relationship, separated by a pandemic for 11 months either. That's when they might start to call it "rushing into marriage ". But its not about what other people think, I don't think that has anything to do with anything to be honest.

I was heavily questioned this time around when I entered under the ESTA. I demonstrated strong ties to home, that's why they allowed me entry eventually. Why would the b visa be different, because its for longer and I've already been questioned on the ESTA?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.