NoMansLand2020

Bisaya/Cebuano language classes

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is anyone aware of any US based institutions where I could enroll in a Cebuano language course? My fiancée is from Mindanao and of course she and her kids speak Bisaya as do her family members. 

I speak Spanish, English and some Catalan, so I don't believe I'd have too much trouble learning a new language. 

I'd much much rather take a class(es) as opposed to using one of those goofy apps or websites that only teach basic phrases and words and don't focus on grammar and sentence structure. 

Edited by NoMansLand2020

2 hours ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Is anyone aware of any US based institutions where I could enroll in a Cebuano language course? My fiancée is from Mindanao and of course she and her kids speak Bisaya as do her family members. 

I speak Spanish, English and some Catalan, so I don't believe I'd have too much trouble learning a new language. 

I'd much much rather take a class(es) as opposed to using one of those goofy apps or websites that only teach basic phrases and words and don't focus on grammar and sentence structure. 

There are a couple out there tbh with you but they are few and far between. I was looking into this several years back when I wanted to learn it and just decided to stick with Tagalog because many people speak it already. So you can learn Tagalog and pick up Bisaya from your fiancee. 

Where in Mindanao is your fiancee from?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

There are a couple out there tbh with you but they are few and far between. I was looking into this several years back when I wanted to learn it and just decided to stick with Tagalog because many people speak it already. So you can learn Tagalog and pick up Bisaya from your fiancee. 

Where in Mindanao is your fiancee from?

Misamis Oriental

56 minutes ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Misamis Oriental

Ahhh sige. My wife is from Davao de Oro and honestly I have been fine getting around with Tagalog and English with the small amount of Bisaya I have picked up

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

Try this

Learn Cebuano: Free Cebuano Courses Online | Live Lingua Project

or

Bisaya English Cebuano Free Lessons (magbinisaya.com

or

Learn to speak Visayan / Bisayas | Udemy

note: and if you need a tutor, just send us a question and I am sure we have a lot of Cebuano in this site.

Edited by nelmagriffin

I was married to a native Russian speaker for 6 years. I understand most spoken conversations and sometimes even think in Russian. No previous exposure to the langusge. My wife now is from Mindanao. Zamboanga Del Norte. I can say Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and Thank You in Bisaya. I fear it is not going to get better. It just doesn't stick. Beer will always be piva to me))) Good Luck)

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

7 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Pera Pera

It's not uncommon when I walk the streets and market places in the Philippines, for woman and children request to have a picture taken with me..........

That happens to me a lot as well. I have had people say crazy stuff like "You need to drop her and come live with me" when I was at a bakery in town. It turns that my then gf now wife knew that girl and warned her off

42 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That happens to me a lot as well. I have had people say crazy stuff like "You need to drop her and come live with me" when I was at a bakery in town. It turns that my then gf now wife knew that girl and warned her off

My wife and I were walking around Intramuros and a woman called out from her shop in Tagalog. I could tell my wife was agitated. I asked her what the woman was saying. She told me the woman was yelling "Why not me! Why not me! I have been looking for so long!" )))))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

I think it happens to all of us but we don't make a big deal about it.  I guess we all figured out that it's not because of our stunning good looks, it's just that we're an oddity over there.  We're a novelty that gets people's attention.  It's nothing more than that.

Also, most of us, when we're over there, we are really not looking for attention from anybody else so, again, it's not a big deal.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/31/2021 at 8:23 PM, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

Try this

Learn Cebuano: Free Cebuano Courses Online | Live Lingua Project

or

Bisaya English Cebuano Free Lessons (magbinisaya.com

or

Learn to speak Visayan / Bisayas | Udemy

note: and if you need a tutor, just send us a question and I am sure we have a lot of Cebuano in this site.

Oddly, just speaking it doesn't make them a teacher as they have never been taught. My wife can correct me if I say something wrong but she can't tell me why.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.