Disteny

US passport center lost my documents

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Currently, COVID plus Christmas time is making USPS mail slow.

I wouldn't fret about it. It's currently taking 2 months just to get receipts from USCIS....I think the same applies to the PP agency. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How do I pay passport fees at a local Post Office™ facility?

• Two separate payments are required for passport services. One is an application fee which is provided to the Department of State; the second fee is an acceptance fee that is paid directly to the Postal Service:
    • Application Fee and any Additional Services Fees payable to "U.S. Department of State."
    • $35 Acceptance Fee Paid Separately payable to "Postmaster."
      • Money orders.
      • Personal checks.
      • Debit or credit cards.
  • Passport Book and Card: You may receive three separate mailings; one with your citizenship documents, one with your newly issued passport book, and one with your newly issued passport card.

the Money we paid to the Postmaster was for a self addressed return prioity large envelope for the return of items /  we addressed it at the post office to our home and they included it in the packet with the application for US passport

our items were returned in 3 separate mailings to the house about a month apart

53 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

the Money we paid to the Postmaster was for a self addressed return prioity large envelope for the return of items /  we addressed it at the post office to our home and they included it in the packet with the application for US passport

Really? We didn’t. Everything was returned to us in DoS envelopes. 

I looked up more on the USPS fee, they call it an execution fee.

What Is the Purpose of the Passport Execution Fee?

Think of it like a service fee. When an American submits an application at a passport acceptance facility – a designation used by many post offices, local courts and other government offices – a clerk has to examine the person's identification and other documents and provide some other processing services. The government uses the execution fee as a way to recoup the costs associated with offering those services. The fee was raised from $25 to $35 in April 2018, after the U.S. Department of State determined that $25 wasn't enough to cover those costs.

While application fees always go to the Department of State, the execution fee must be paid separately to the passport acceptance facility.

The execution fee is charged to first time applicants, including children, and anyone who needs to replace a lost, stolen or damage passport. To anyone who has to appear in person at a passport application acceptance facility before an agent. An agent who is authorized by the Secretary of State to give oaths to validate passport applications. The Department of State empowers Passport Acceptance Agents to receive passport applicationson its behalf because of the high traffic of passport needs.

The execution fee does not apply to all passport applications. It is only applies to certain cases when applying for a new passport. This offers convenient locations to American citizens without having to visit the Department of State. The execution fee is charge to reimburse the acceptance facility for the different costs of the services given to the passport applicant. 

59 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

How do I pay passport fees at a local Post Office™ facility?

• Two separate payments are required for passport services. One is an application fee which is provided to the Department of State; the second fee is an acceptance fee that is paid directly to the Postal Service:
    • Application Fee and any Additional Services Fees payable to "U.S. Department of State."
    • $35 Acceptance Fee Paid Separately payable to "Postmaster."
      • Money orders.
      • Personal checks.
      • Debit or credit cards.
  • Passport Book and Card: You may receive three separate mailings; one with your citizenship documents, one with your newly issued passport book, and one with your newly issued passport card.

our items were returned in 3 separate mailings to the house about a month apart

Good that you got everything back.

On 12/31/2020 at 2:19 PM, Timona said:

Currently, COVID plus Christmas time is making USPS mail slow.

I wouldn't fret about it. It's currently taking 2 months just to get receipts from USCIS....I think the same applies to the PP agency. 

I hope so, but they told me we already mailed the documents on Dec 11. even if it was sent by regular mail, I would have recieved by now. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 12/31/2020 at 1:56 PM, Disteny said:

so you got your documents , how long did it take to recieve them?

I would say the documents took the longest to receive. Perhaps a week or 2 after my passport arrived.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

I am sure this is the problem.:

Widespread Mail Delays As USPS Faces Unprecedented Backlog

..lif you were expecting a delivery any time over the past month, you've probably noticed it already. We're talking about holiday packages that totally missed the holiday, important documents that never arrived, prescription refills delayed. They're all part of an unprecedented backlog of mail that's almost paralyzed the postal service in recent weeks, leaving both customers and postal workers frustrated

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/03/953073956/widespread-mail-delays-as-usps-faces-unprecedented-backlog

6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I am sure this is the problem.:

Widespread Mail Delays As USPS Faces Unprecedented Backlog

..lif you were expecting a delivery any time over the past month, you've probably noticed it already. We're talking about holiday packages that totally missed the holiday, important documents that never arrived, prescription refills delayed. They're all part of an unprecedented backlog of mail that's almost paralyzed the postal service in recent weeks, leaving both customers and postal workers frustrated

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/03/953073956/widespread-mail-delays-as-usps-faces-unprecedented-backlog

If this is the case , then there is hope of receiving my documents one day.

This might not help, but we had a package scheduled to arrive right before Christmas, and while it was sent out on time, the tracking number showed that it was just sitting in one of the sorting facilities for days on end because of the backlog. Maybe the same is true for your NC (I really hope so).

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

8 hours ago, CMJuilland said:

This might not help, but we had a package scheduled to arrive right before Christmas, and while it was sent out on time, the tracking number showed that it was just sitting in one of the sorting facilities for days on end because of the backlog. Maybe the same is true for your NC (I really hope so).

The problem is there is no tracking number  

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

The passport tracker thread has a few people saying similar things. 

Yes all of them complain of losing their documents 

30 minutes ago, Disteny said:

Yes all of them complain of losing their documents 

Well they say the documents are taking longer to arrive than expected, that’s not the same thing 

On 1/5/2021 at 9:36 AM, Thelord said:

I am still waiting 3 weeks for my NC after receiving the passport. I know there was one person that it took 1 whole month for the USPS to deliver their passport application to the Department of State (this in normal time would only take 2-3 days but given the COVID + Xmas time it could be a significant delay)

FYI I finally received my NC after a month following the approval (3 weeks after passport receipt).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.