Disteny

US passport center lost my documents

70 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, DallasDreamy said:

@Disteny - I would certainly be quite wary after such a harrowing experience that you just endured! BTW, did you happen to apply for your Passport "Card" as well when you applied for your passport? According to an excellent (👏👏👏) tip by @seetsuh in the thread Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple  one is able to update his/her citizenship status at SSA using the Passport "Card" (and not sending in the NC). I intend to do this later on so I don't spend a fortune on antacids 😂 

I applied for my passport card too, if the passport card is fine, that would be great, how about the social security card.?

5 minutes ago, DallasDreamy said:

@Disteny - I would certainly be quite wary after such a harrowing experience that you just endured! BTW, did you happen to apply for your Passport "Card" as well when you applied for your passport? According to an excellent (👏👏👏) tip by @seetsuh in the thread Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple  one is able to update his/her citizenship status at SSA using the Passport "Card" (and not sending in the NC). I intend to do this later on so I don't spend a fortune of antacids 😂 

Yep. According to the SSA website https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210505 , the SSA accepts a valid US passport OR passport cards as the sole evidence, no need to show NC when a passport is present. The above page (SSA official manual) even says this: 

NOTE: Due to processing efficiency, if an applicant presents both a U.S. passport and a Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570) select U.S passport for proof of U.S. citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Armenia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Disteny said:

I applied for my passport card too, if the passport card is fine, that would be great, how about the social security card.?

I don't see anywhere on page 2 of the Form - SS-5 that you have to send in your Social Security Card. Others may chime in with their experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Armenia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, MrKo said:

Yep. According to the SSA website https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110210505 , the SSA accepts a valid US passport OR passport cards as the sole evidence, no need to show NC when a passport is present. The above page (SSA official manual) even says this: 

NOTE: Due to processing efficiency, if an applicant presents both a U.S. passport and a Certificate of Naturalization (N-550/N-570) select U.S passport for proof of U.S. citizenship.

Wow... This is excellent reference! Thank you!!!

8 minutes ago, DallasDreamy said:

I don't see anywhere on page 2 of the Form - SS-5 that you have to send in your Social Security Card. Others may chime in with their experience.

That's would be great.

1 hour ago, MrKo said:

I'm SO HAPPY for you!!!! I've been praying that you get your NC back without problem. I waited for over a month for mine but nothing compared to you.. I can imagine the moment you saw that in your mailbox😊. The good thing is that we both got ours back, happy ending.

You don't have to mail your NC to update your citizenship status at the social security office. If you really need to update it NOW, mail your US passport instead because they accept that as proof.

BTW, how's your daughter's passport application? I wish all the best for all of you!

Thank you . My daughter's passport is very complicated , they still wait for a proof of custody , they ask for physical and legal custody, but she turned 18 now , I don't know what custody they ask for. I tried to apply for her certificate of naturalization on behalf of her  online, but they asked for a lot of evidence besides the proof of custody .

3 minutes ago, Disteny said:

Thank you . My daughter's passport is very complicated , they still wait for a proof of custody , they ask for physical and legal custody, but she turned 18 now , I don't know what custody they ask for. I tried to apply for her certificate of naturalization on behalf of her  online, but they asked for a lot of evidence besides the proof of custody .

Yes, you explained above. It’s not actually that complicated - what complicates it is that you don’t have and can’t get the proof of custody you need (or apparently the other evidence that they were looking for that would prove it without a legal custody order). Without being able to show that, she did not actually acquire citizenship when you naturalized and so cannot get a passport based on that.
If you have actually said to them “we do not have the proof required for citizenship, please send the documents back” and they refuse, get your congressperson involved. If you have not phrased it like that then that should be your first route. in the meanwhile she should fill in an N400 application to naturalize based on 5 year rule, assuming she has been here 5 years.

By the way, the not talking to you because she is 18? Get used to it! Everyone does that. Government, doctors, college (no matter you pay all the bills, if the student is 18 they only want to talk to the student), everyone. The US takes “adult” very seriously no matter where the person lives or who pays for what!!

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, you explained above. It’s not actually that complicated - what complicates it is that you don’t have and can’t get the proof of custody you need (or apparently the other evidence that they were looking for that would prove it without a legal custody order). Without being able to show that, she did not actually acquire citizenship when you naturalized and so cannot get a passport based on that.
If you have actually said to them “we do not have the proof required for citizenship, please send the documents back” and they refuse, get your congressperson involved. If you have not phrased it like that then that should be your first route. in the meanwhile she should fill in an N400 application to naturalize based on 5 year rule, assuming she has been here 5 years.

By the way, the not talking to you because she is 18? Get used to it! Everyone does that. Government, doctors, college (no matter you pay all the bills, if the student is 18 they only want to talk to the student), everyone. The US takes “adult” very seriously no matter where the person lives or who pays for what!!

I explained to them in the letter sent, that issuing a passport for her to leave the country is a proof of custody and that was the only proof we have, if it wasn't enough then please send us all our documents back, so she could file in N-400 based on 5 years rule in October. I even enclosed a prepaid return envelop , I tracked the mail, they received it on Feb 17 . 

1 hour ago, Disteny said:

I explained to them in the letter sent, that issuing a passport for her to leave the country is a proof of custody and that was the only proof we have, if it wasn't enough then please send us all our documents back, so she could file in N-400 based on 5 years rule in October. I even enclosed a prepaid return envelop , I tracked the mail, they received it on Feb 17 . 

Again. I don’t think they “if this then that” works in a case like this. They may still be waiting for more evidence (your evidence of custody as described above is not sufficient for them but I believe we have had this discussion in the past), or they may be preparing a formal denial, who knows which. As I said before I think you (she now) should submit a formal request to withdraw the application, no ‘if this” or anything like that, a clear and direct withdrawal, period.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

For those who are debating to update SSA records using NC/Passport/Passport CARD etc, 99% you DONT NEED TO UPDATE SSA RECORDS AT ALL...

But in case if you have your name OR Employment eligibility(restriction printed on the SSN card)/Any SS benefits change etc ONLY you need to update SSA records. If you MUST update, WAIT for 3+ Weeks BEFORE you apply as this is the time taken to USCIS to update SSA directly upon your naturalization. In the mean time you can secure the Passport Card. Check my notes in the signature below. ( @SusieQQQ Please correct if its incorrect) Thanks

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.