Bjh

Likelihood of mother-in-law getting a B-1 tourist visa to visit me and wife

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone -

My wife and I have been waiting for several months for her EAD and green card, however neither of these seem to be anywhere near completion. We haven't seen any change in her application status since April. My wife really just wants to see her mother and vice versa, even more so now because she's pregnant with our son. Wife also can't leave the US as doing so would be abandoning her AOS petition.

Wife and her family are from Brazil. Mother-in-law has a house in her name as well as multiple house pets, a garden, and 2 other kids, one of which has 2 kids of his own.

Is this enough to show "strong ties" to her homeland of Brazil? Enough for the US to trust granting a 6 month tourist visa to visit us?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I doubt anyone here can really answer that question.  In FY 2019, the B visa refusal rate for Brazil was 18.48%.  That is lower than some countries, but much higher than others (Argentina was 2%).    She is certainly free to apply.  Good Luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

There’s only one way to find out and that’s to pay $160 and submit the DS-160 and see what happens. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree, no one can predict if her ties are enough, only a CO can make that determination.  Though it does not hurt to apply.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thiis might be better asked in the regional forums.  You can report your own post and ask a moderator to move it.

4 hours ago, Bjh said:

My wife really just wants to see her mother and vice versa, even more so now because she's pregnant with our son.

Unfortunately, the US embassy and consulates in Brazil still have not resumed routine B visa services and there is no estimate on when these services will resume.  So it is highly unlikely that your mother-in-law will be able to visit the US anytime soon.

When they do start issuing regular tourist visas again, note that consul officers base their decision mainly on the information in the DS-160 application form.  There is no specific field in the form that asks for the applicant's children residing in their home country nor of properties owned.  The CO may ask about it in the interview, but it is not guaranteed.  When my mom applied, she was not asked about her family members or financial assets.

In any case, the only way for your MIL to find out for sure is to apply.  By the way, a B1 visa is for business travel.  If your MIL's purpose of travel is to visit family, she should state in her DS-160 that she is applying for a B2 or B1/B2 visa.  Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What is her job?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 hours ago, Bjh said:

Hey everyone -

My wife and I have been waiting for several months for her EAD and green card, however neither of these seem to be anywhere near completion. We haven't seen any change in her application status since April. My wife really just wants to see her mother and vice versa, even more so now because she's pregnant with our son. Wife also can't leave the US as doing so would be abandoning her AOS petition.

Wife and her family are from Brazil. Mother-in-law has a house in her name as well as multiple house pets, a garden, and 2 other kids, one of which has 2 kids of his own.

Is this enough to show "strong ties" to her homeland of Brazil? Enough for the US to trust granting a 6 month tourist visa to visit us?

Thanks!

Like the others said, can't hurt to try.

I'm guessing that the visit might be timed with the birth schedule and it sure would be nice to have mom there to help!  However, Covid cases are soaring in the U.S. right now, and Brazil too.  Even if she gets the visa, consider waiting on the trip for a while, until Covid cools down.  If she is older or has comorbidities, even more so.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If your mother in law has strong ties to Brazil, her chances for a B2 are probably average, and most B2s (when they start processing them again in Rio) are approved.  Not having a regular job could be an issue.  One point in her favor is that her daughter is not a US citizen yet so she can't stay and adjust status.  I would also suggest that if she decides to apply for a B2 when they start accepting them at the consulate in Rio, that she not say she wants to visit the US for six months, but a shorter visit like maybe one or two months.  Good luck, and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby!

21 hours ago, carmel34 said:

If your mother in law has strong ties to Brazil, her chances for a B2 are probably average, and most B2s (when they start processing them again in Rio) are approved.  Not having a regular job could be an issue.  One point in her favor is that her daughter is not a US citizen yet so she can't stay and adjust status.  I would also suggest that if she decides to apply for a B2 when they start accepting them at the consulate in Rio, that she not say she wants to visit the US for six months, but a shorter visit like maybe one or two months.  Good luck, and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby!

I have seen many mother in laws come to visit from the Philippines, it seems if the child is a US Citizen then they are always approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.