alex01

Affidavit of support I- 864

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. Yes. 

2. https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

You may submit this information for the most recent three tax years, pay stubs from the most recent six months, and/or a letter from your employer if you believe any of these items will help you qualify. 

Seems clear that you should submit 3 years of tax returns.  Don’t confuse “necessary” with “sufficient”. What is sufficient can vary by case.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

1. Yes. 

2. https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

You may submit this information for the most recent three tax years, pay stubs from the most recent six months, and/or a letter from your employer if you believe any of these items will help you qualify. 

Seems clear that you should submit 3 years of tax returns.  Don’t confuse “necessary” with “sufficient”. What is sufficient can vary by case.  

Incorrect.

From the I-864 form itself, 23.b:

image.png.bdf9480ffd6dabe78ecec0e871ba7604.png

It clearly states that the second and third most recent tax years are "optional".  Tax return for only 1 year, the most recent tax year, is required.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Incorrect.

From the I-864 form itself, 23.b:

image.png.bdf9480ffd6dabe78ecec0e871ba7604.png

It clearly states that the second and third most recent tax years are "optional".  Tax return for only 1 year, the most recent tax year, is required.

And I’ve cited information that suggests that three years of tax returns can be submitted. 

You have your interpretation.  I have mine.

And my mind is rigid on this.   

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Mike E said:

And I’ve cited information that suggests that three years of tax returns can be submitted. 

???

The form CLEARLY states that years 2 and 3 are optional.  There is no interpretation.  It is written in black and white.  

Hello everyone,

I filled out form I130 for my mom in July 2020, haven't received any notice besides NOA1, I know it is taking long so I'm not worried about that, but I have a question about the Affidavit of support I864.

I'm a mother and student, my husband was the only one working at home and reported around $30,000 as his adjusted gross income on our tax return (we filled jointly), but his total income is around 48k.

Now I am working and our household income has increased, we will probably report around $55,000 for 2020, maybe 65k as total income.

We are a household of 4, our 2 minor kids, my husband and I, counting my mother which is abroad 5.

Are we still going to need a co-sponsor, or is it goint to be enough with our 2020 income even though the previous 2 years we didn't meet the poverty guidelines for a household of 5?

Thanks in advance 

Filed: IR-5 Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 11/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, Sam1976 said:

Hello guys, can a green card holder sponsor for I 864 in immigrant visa? Also one year of taxes is enough?

Yes.

If you have only worked one year and earn enough that is enough, for those who have worked the last three must provide the information.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, Mike E said:

Why would want you want to submit more information than what is required? the only purpose it serves is opening up the door to scrutinizing those tax years..  The same would apply during the interview, would you offer more information than what is asked by the interviewer?

Edited by nykolos

Timeline
On 11/26/2020 at 3:25 PM, nykolos said:

Why would want you want to submit more information than what is required? the only purpose it serves is opening up the door to scrutinizing those tax years..  The same would apply during the interview, would you offer more information than what is asked by the interviewer?

If the information strengthened my case, yes.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 11/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, Wals said:

Yes.

If you have only worked one year and earn enough that is enough, for those who have worked the last three must provide the information.

You only need to report what you earned for 3 years.

You only need to provide transcripts/returns for the most current year, 3 years is optional as per the form.

• 8 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 11/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, Babu Frik said:

You only need to report what you earned for 3 years.

You only need to provide transcripts/returns for the most current year, 3 years is optional as per the form.

So then for the other two most recent years what do you put in the "2nd most recent" and "3rd most" recent tax years, "N/A"?

1 hour ago, Tore said:

So then for the other two most recent years what do you put in the "2nd most recent" and "3rd most" recent tax years, "N/A"?

You must list your reported income for the 2nd and 3rd most recent tax years, even if you do not submit the tax transcripts/returns for those years.  If you were not required to file taxes for those years, put "N/A" and attach a letter explaining why you were not required to file.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.