Don0

American citizen going to Philippines

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I'm asking for my aunt and I really hope someone can help.

She is a US citizen who applied for a dual citizenship, however, she has not taken the oath since there was no schedule available. Now she needs to go to the Philippines to get her elderly mother (my grandmother) to accompany her back to the US. 

What documents does she need so she can travel to the Philippines? I've read posts that they need a visa, what visa would it be?

Thanks guys!

Edit: they are both US citizens.

Edited by Don0

1 hour ago, Don0 said:

She is a US citizen who applied for a dual citizenship, however, she has not taken the oath since there was no schedule available. Now she needs to go to the Philippines to get her elderly mother (my grandmother) to accompany her back to the US. 

What documents does she need so she can travel to the Philippines? I've read posts that they need a visa, what visa would it be?

Thanks guys!

BI Facebook page will tell you all you need to know. If you have any question send them a message.  They are quick to respond, or at least that has been my findings so far.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

she is not a citizen till she takes the oath so she would use her country's passport 

It sounds like both are USCs, but one was also applying for PI citizenship which has not finalized yet, so you are right, the person traveling from the US to the PI to assist the mother in returning to the US would have to use her US Passport.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sorry i read in wrong/  trying to read from my cell while waiting for the son to complete the infusion 

so very sorry / this is not as good as reading from a computer

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

It sounds like both are USCs, but one was also applying for PI citizenship which has not finalized yet, so you are right, the person traveling from the US to the PI to assist the mother in returning to the US would have to use her US Passport.

Nothing like stating the obvious,  but that doesn't answer the OPs problem as a US passport alone will not currently allow entry into the Philippines post Covid. 

OP.  You need to visit the Philippines consulate website and download and apply for a visiting visa.  It's not a simple process.  

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_United_States_citizens#Temporary_COVID-19_restrictions

23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png Philippines – Admission refused, except spouses and children of Filipino nationals. [16]

Once the COVID restrictions end:

23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.png Philippines Visa not required[386][387] 30 days
  • Naturalized US citizens of former Philippine nationality (balikbayan) allowed to stay for one year.

8 hours ago, Don0 said:

Thanks guys!

You will both need a visa from the local consulate.  I'm not sure if you are allowed if you no longer hold Philippine citizenship, though.  

I spoke with Chicago yesterday and they sent this...beware, I also know people who's local consulate is Houston and another in Washington and there are slight differences in the requirements.

For visa applicants residing in the Midwest (ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, SOUTH DAKOTA AND WISCONSIN)

REQUIREMENTS FOR FOREIGN SPOUSE OF FILIPINO NATIONAL

(Filipino Spouse travelling with Foreign Spouse)

1.    ACCOMPLISHED VISA APPLICATION (FA FORM 2-A) with passport size photo attached http://chicagopcg.com/forms/new%20visa%20form.pdf

2.    ORIGINAL PASSPORT (together with a photocopy of the data page of the passport) with a validity of at least six (6) months beyond the proposed stay in the Philippines

3.    TRAVEL ITINERARY

4.    PROOF OF FINANCIAL CAPACITY (latest bank statement)

5.    COPY OF REPORT OF MARRIAGE OR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE (Philippine Statistic Authority)

If marriage certificate issued by foreign governments, it must be apostilled/authenticated.

6.    NOTARIZED LETTER OF SUPPORT FROM FILIPINO SPOUSE indicating the following:

·         That he /she (Filipino spouse) will be travelling with his/her foreign spouse to the Philippines

·         Indicate specific purpose or nature of travel of foreign spouse and that he/she (Filipino Spouse) guarantees all moral obligations to be incurred by the foreign spouse while in the Philippines.

7.    COPY OF THE VALID PHILIPPINE PASSPORT OR COPY OF DUAL IDENTIFICATION CERTIFICATE OR CERTIFICATE OF RE-ACQUISITION/RETENTION OF PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP (If Dual CitizenOF FILIPINO SPOUSE

8.    VISA FEE of $40 for 3-day expedited processing OR $30 for 1-week regular processing (in Money Order and Cashier’s Check ONLY) payable to the Consulate General of the Philippines in Chicago.

9.    SELF-ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE WITH TRACKING NUMBER(USPS Priority Express Mail or pre-paid UPS only)

MAIL VISA APPLICATION TO:

Visa Section
Consulate General of the Philippines in Chicago
122 S. Michigan Avenue 
Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60603

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

After the COVID restrictions are gone, every country in the world is going to have to be re-assessed on what the requirements are.  I expected quite a few changes.  Nobody will be able to just assume it will be like it was before. 

The Philippines has been talking for a year or so before COVID on implementing US citizens, amongst others, to require a visa to visit.  Whether they follow through on that is unknown but it could be likely.  Also, although not a visa, US citizens will need to apply for an ETIAS to visit Schengen countries, similar to ESTA for Europeans to visit the US.  These are only a few examples but there could be quite a bit more restrictions on US citizens in the future.  

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

6 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

You will both need a visa from the local consulate.  I'm not sure if you are allowed if you no longer hold Philippine citizenship, though.  

I spoke with Chicago yesterday and they sent this...beware, I also know people who's local consulate is Houston and another in Washington and there are slight differences in the requirements.

Yes, exactly.  Each Consulate has slightly different requirements.  Plus some requirements may not be listed in the web-site as I have found out.  The best thing to do is call your respective consulate and get the exact details.  Email probably would be better so you have a written response to what is required and you can attach that email to your documents.  I would not apply for any visa until you have a response from the Consulate. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

1 minute ago, flicks1998 said:

Yes, exactly.  Each Consulate has slightly different requirements.  Plus some requirements may not be listed in the web-site as I have found out.  The best thing to do is call your respective consulate and get the exact details.  Email probably would be better so you have a written response to what is required and you can attach that email to your documents.  I would not apply for any visa until you have a response from the Consulate. 

This was the email they sent me after I talked to them.  I didnt get this from the website.  I happen to know someone who just applied through the Embassy in Washington and another through Houston.  The requirements are different for each.  All were taken after they talked to someone at the consulate or embassy and received the email response.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

8 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

BI Facebook page will tell you all you need to know. If you have any question send them a message.  They are quick to respond, or at least that has been my findings so far.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/

I will try messaging them. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, payxibka said:

Nothing like stating the obvious,  but that doesn't answer the OPs problem as a US passport alone will not currently allow entry into the Philippines post Covid. 

OP.  You need to visit the Philippines consulate website and download and apply for a visiting visa.  It's not a simple process.  

Sadly, there is no visiting visa application on their site. 😔 I've tried emailing them but still waiting for a response. Thank you!

1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

This was the email they sent me after I talked to them.  I didnt get this from the website.  I happen to know someone who just applied through the Embassy in Washington and another through Houston.  The requirements are different for each.  All were taken after they talked to someone at the consulate or embassy and received the email response.

I saw some parts of this too! I see that most of their visas can only be given to someone who has a Filipino spouse or child or something. Would a Filipino brother do though? 😔 we just want our grandma to be back here. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Don0 said:

Sadly, there is no visiting visa application on their site. 😔 I've tried emailing them but still waiting for a response. Thank you!

😔 

http://www.chicagopcg.com/forms.html

YMMV

18 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Thank you for this! I have seen the form but sadly we can't provide the requirements they're asking. 😔 no Filipino spouse or child in the Philippines for my aunt to maybe mention for the application. Her only relatives in the Philippines are her brothers. And I guess that's not part of their list.. 

By the way, I didn't see this form in the San Francisco pcg. Thanks!

Edited by Don0

6 minutes ago, Don0 said:

Thank you for this! I have seen the form but sadly we can't provide the requirements they're asking. 😔 no Filipino spouse or child in the Philippines for my aunt to maybe mention for the application. Her only relatives in the Philippines are her brothers. And I guess that's not part of their list.. 

By the way, I didn't see this form in the San Francisco pcg. Thanks!

Is there a reason your grandmother can't travel on her own? Or is she too old?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.