Mylilelar1

Wife denied visa 2 hours ago.

30 posts in this topic

I believe I have a handle on it,but it IS frustrating. When I uploaded to CEAC in 2019.....the last three years of my tax returns were from 2016,17&18. All good...over the minimum. But when she met the interviewer,they stated I needed to have the 2019 returns also. UGH.  CEAC accepted all returns and acknowledged that "all documents and financial records have been received".

It states "The financial sponsor can also use assets(NOT JUST INCOME)to meet these requirements. Assets include cash,stocks and bonds, and property. Have $121,000 in checking account and $212,000 in an IRA> INSTANT LIQUIDITY. And the consular/interviewer has all these..Didn't mean a damn thing as they want the 2019 return.

They also want the ORIGINAL DIVORCE DECREE that was signed in the original ink from 1984 from my county recorder in Washington state.. What? They give that up? I had always believed the original always stays with the recorder in the county the event happened in. I had scanned them the exact copy in the long legal form. NO GOOD.  I take responsibility for all of this.

Looks like FEDEX or UPS tomorrow for me !

1 minute ago, Mylilelar1 said:

I believe I have a handle on it,but it IS frustrating. When I uploaded to CEAC in 2019.....the last three years of my tax returns were from 2016,17&18. All good...over the minimum. But when she met the interviewer,they stated I needed to have the 2019 returns also. UGH.  CEAC accepted all returns and acknowledged that "all documents and financial records have been received".

It states "The financial sponsor can also use assets(NOT JUST INCOME)to meet these requirements. Assets include cash,stocks and bonds, and property. Have $121,000 in checking account and $212,000 in an IRA> INSTANT LIQUIDITY. And the consular/interviewer has all these..Didn't mean a damn thing as they want the 2019 return.

They also want the ORIGINAL DIVORCE DECREE that was signed in the original ink from 1984 from my county recorder in Washington state.. What? They give that up? I had always believed the original always stays with the recorder in the county the event happened in. I had scanned them the exact copy in the long legal form. NO GOOD.  I take responsibility for all of this.

My wife's NBI clearance was to expire in 4 days so she has to get a new clearance also.. Live and learn !

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Embassy wants your most recent tax return, which is the 2019 at the moment.  They rarely, if ever, ask for 3 years of tax returns.

The documents checklist is (seriously) lacking info on what the embassy wants regarding financial support.   The old letter/checklist was much more detailed.

There is a link to the old document checklist on this website, along with other info.   https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

The county doesn't keep the original documents.  They scan and stamp the original after which it is returned (at least that is the way it is done in every state/county where I have resided)

Of course the odds of finding your original after so many years could be fun (it will have a stamp on it from the county also).    Embassy has always accepted CERTIFIED copies from the county, if you don't have the original then I suggest requesting a certified copy from the county where the divorce occurred.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

We uploaded 2017 to CEAC but NVC mentioned that since our interview was taking place after April 15 we were required to bring 2018 transcripts with us.  NVC doesnt approve or deny anything.  They just make sure that the correct files are uploaded and they are legible.  We only have copies of our divorce and nothing else was asked for.  I did request a new one from the court and all they did was print a copy of the old PDF they had on file.  I suppose it was stamped when the judge signed it so it was a certified copy or a copy of a certified document.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

44 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

We uploaded 2017 to CEAC but NVC mentioned that since our interview was taking place after April 15 we were required to bring 2018 transcripts with us.  NVC doesnt approve or deny anything.  They just make sure that the correct files are uploaded and they are legible.  We only have copies of our divorce and nothing else was asked for.  I did request a new one from the court and all they did was print a copy of the old PDF they had on file.  I suppose it was stamped when the judge signed it so it was a certified copy or a copy of a certified document.

Yeah I take  responsibility for these little errors here. It sounds like once we get them resolved they will approve her visa. It's just been so long since our NOA2 (July 13,2018) that we both kind of lost concentration here. We actually never thought this interview would happen until next spring. So we had to recharge everything and rethink everything and I guess that's life. So that 2019 tax return is no problem but I have no W2s or 1099s on some of my income because part of my income is being a landlord and I just write receipts to my renter and document it with Turbotax and fill in the blanks foe the feds. So that's what I need to resolve today. Maybe just send in receipts along with the 2019 return.  I do my own taxes. 

I suppose at this stage, it doesn't make any difference what my assets are as their rules are they need the last or most recent tax return. They have their rules that they have to follow.

Thank you for your response John and Rose.

Edited by Mylilelar

2 hours ago, Mylilelar said:

Yeah I take  responsibility for these little errors here. It sounds like once we get them resolved they will approve her visa. It's just been so long since our NOA2 (July 13,2018) that we both kind of lost concentration here. We actually never thought this interview would happen until next spring. So we had to recharge everything and rethink everything and I guess that's life. So that 2019 tax return is no problem but I have no W2s or 1099s on some of my income because part of my income is being a landlord and I just write receipts to my renter and document it with Turbotax and fill in the blanks foe the feds. So that's what I need to resolve today. Maybe just send in receipts along with the 2019 return.  I do my own taxes. 

I suppose at this stage, it doesn't make any difference what my assets are as their rules are they need the last or most recent tax return. They have their rules that they have to follow.

Something tells me that this is going to be a common problem with alot of us going forward.  All of us have pretty much sat idol for the last 7 months + and we all should go through our documents and update them if need be.  I wouldnt feel too bad, but it should be a lesson to all of us to double check everything before an interview, especially on tax documents, NBI clearances, etc etc etc.

The K1 process is slightly different than the CR1 (we dont upload anything), but all of our documents will need to be current as well.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

5 hours ago, Mylilelar said:

Hang in there, this nightmare will soon be a distance memory and in a few months you will forget all about it and will be with your lovely companion.  Wishing you the best.............

Just keep plugging away, as it is all you can do.  There are more steps to come (AOS, ROC), and you don't want to blow all your patience and stamina on Step 1 (K1).

Good Luck 

Finally done.

1 hour ago, Talako said:

Just keep plugging away, as it is all you can do.  There are more steps to come (AOS, ROC), and you don't want to blow all your patience and stamina on Step 1 (K1).

Good Luck 

Thank God we went through this when we did. If I was going through this now I'm afraid I would give up and become a monk.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

On 10/14/2020 at 12:54 AM, Mylilelar1 said:

This makes me nervous. My wife's interview was back in Feb. earlier this year. Her interview went well but was not approved and she was issued a 221g requesting additional documents. None of the documents listed were a 2019 tax return (obviously because of the date).

However, now that we were JUST able to submit the other documents listed, I'm fearful they will request that 2019 tax return. What do you think? I would like to just submit it anyway but since it was never requested via a 221g I don't have a way to submit it via 2go courier service. ughhhh

6 hours ago, Abrah@m said:

This makes me nervous. My wife's interview was back in Feb. earlier this year. Her interview went well but was not approved and she was issued a 221g requesting additional documents. None of the documents listed were a 2019 tax return (obviously because of the date).

However, now that we were JUST able to submit the other documents listed, I'm fearful they will request that 2019 tax return. What do you think? I would like to just submit it anyway but since it was never requested via a 221g I don't have a way to submit it via 2go courier service. ughhhh

If it were me, and Ill soon be in this situation with how long everything is taking, I would also submit your 2019 tax return.  My opinion when dealing with any government is that you can never submit too much information.

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

4 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

If it were me, and Ill soon be in this situation with how long everything is taking, I would also submit your 2019 tax return.  My opinion when dealing with any government is that you can never submit too much information.

Call the Embassy.When I do get a hold of them they give very good answers.

WHEN I CAN GET A HOLD OF THEM.

It's frustrating calling and calling and calling. But I'm not and outlier here, this happens to everybody I suppose

12 hours ago, Abrah@m said:

Day 28 for my wife at the Bayview Park Hotel.Because she couldn't go back in between  the medical exam and the original date for the interview because they quarantine upon her arrival in Isabella province for 14 days.Before she leaves Manila, she has to take a rapid test at $90 per person as I sent her niece with her there also.So even if it tests negative...  they still go into to quarantine. Why do I have a feeling people are making big money off this in the Philippines? And then they moved the interview from the 7th to the 14th. And now I'm booking more days because she has to wait for FedEx to get there from Idaho. I drove 595 miles today round trip to go from Idaho to Walla Walla Washington because if I would have mailed a request for a copy of my original divorce decree,UPS and FedEx said they couldn't guarantee it would get there in 5 days! And then they would have to mail it back. Almost 2 weeks because of the virus they state. So I drove there, got 4 copies just to make sure and drove back. But FedEx said it can get to Manila in 3 days. This can be so frustrating a times you just have to laugh it off.😄😄

Edited by Mylilelar1

16 minutes ago, Mylilelar1 said:

Call the Embassy.When I do get a hold of them they give very good answers.

WHEN I CAN GET A HOLD OF THEM.

It's frustrating calling and calling and calling. But I'm not and outlier here, this happens to everybody I suppose

Ive been trying to get a hold of US Embassies and Consulates in about 20 countries over the last 2 months and nobody ever responds.  Nobody picks up the phone, nobody returns emails.  None.  Not a single one.  Today I called the Philippine Consulate in NY and they picked up the phone.  I also emailed them twice and had responses back in 25 minutes.  The US government is pathetic.

2 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Ive been trying to get a hold of US Embassies and Consulates in about 20 countries over the last 2 months and nobody ever responds.  Nobody picks up the phone, nobody returns emails.  None.  Not a single one.  Today I called the Philippine Consulate in NY and they picked up the phone.  I also emailed them twice and had responses back in 25 minutes.  The US government is pathetic.

I believe The United States cut back embassy staff on countries of color beginning in 2018. Pretty sure I read that.On one of the few phone calls that I got through, the woman told me that the person that usually consults people on interview dates/questions had not been rehired,the position is open and she's giving it her best shot on the fly.

I personally get frustrated with the website.Yesterday it said go to click on the hyperlink that says "Submitting a 221 (g) courier packet", went there and there is no such link.There was a link that mentioned courier but not the word submission,so after negotiating this for 15 or 20 minutes I finally get to the submission page where you put everything down for the courier that's in your package for them to deliver to the embassy.I consider myself pretty tech savvy as a Realtor but this website is really testing me.I try to take this literally because it's the United States government 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.