Aшан

Applying for spouse visa by PR. Tricky question!

26 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi,everyone

Visa journey and people here was a great help while I was going through my immigration process. I was F2B category. And by this category I was not able to get married until I enter the US and get my green card. It was long 8 years of waiting process. Now I have to start all over again. immigration process for my girlfriend that was left in my home country. 

As soon as I received my green card and became a permanent resident I flew back to my country and we got married.  So now she is F2A category and can qualifiy for CR-1 visa ( which is TEMPORARY banned - I know :(( but still I can apply to USCIC.)

Now a tricky question-

we were a couple for 20 years but was never officially married (last 8 years because of my visa category). When now I am applying for her I -130 can I show that although officialy I was single we were living as a couple and you could say in a common law marriage??? Will that fact not harm my GC status? 

Or should I just tell that we lived together only after official marriage  certificate ( she had a differnet address)? Also should I show as a proof of our relations that we always traveled on vacation together?

Thank you in advance who will share your thoughts.

God bless

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

As far as you were not married she was your live in girlfriend at most fiancée so no issues here....as stated above be forthcoming about it include a letter describing the relationship if you think its necessary and include proof of relationship....I understand the reason you want to bring this to light is to prove that you both have been in a relationship for a long time to help here immigration case.

Edited by Sparkle Sparkle

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not tricky at all tell the truth.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, r1m1 said:

now she is F2A category and can qualifiy for CR-1 visa

Just to clarify, she is F2A category and can qualify for a F2A visa. CR1 is a visa category for spouses of US citizens.

As long as there was no formal marriage etc it doesn’t matter how long you two lived together “as” a married couple, if you were not married that is fine. You will clearly have plenty of proof of a bona fide relationship which will help your application. 

Timeline
20 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Just to clarify, she is F2A category and can qualify for a F2A visa. CR1 is a visa category for spouses of US citizens.

As long as there was no formal marriage etc it doesn’t matter how long you two lived together “as” a married couple, if you were not married that is fine. You will clearly have plenty of proof of a bona fide relationship which will help your application. 

Is that mean that her category NOT BANNED by president ?  Thank YOU for a good news!

16 minutes ago, r1m1 said:

Is that mean that her category NOT BANNED by president ?  Thank YOU for a good news!

Where did you get that from? Yes, it is currently banned. (CR1 is not banned, but she will not be CR1.)

Timeline
17 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Where did you get that from? Yes, it is currently banned. (CR1 is not banned, but she will not be CR1.)

I found it on You Tube. Could you please( if you know) clarify are F2A visas banned now? Because in visa bulletin in first table  it says final action dates forF2A  -current

Edited by r1m1
add

Just now, r1m1 said:

I found it on You Tube. Could you please if you know clarify are F2A visas banned now?

I really hate having to repeat answers. I already said it was banned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
47 minutes ago, r1m1 said:

I found it on You Tube.

Don't trust YouTube and Facebook for immigration advice, IMO, it's mostly wrong.

57 minutes ago, r1m1 said:

are F2A visas banned now?

Only very few F2A visas have been issued because those specific cases meet an exception to PP10014: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/27/2020-09068/suspension-of-entry-of-immigrants-who-present-a-risk-to-the-united-states-labor-market-during-the

Odds are that your spouse does not meet a listed exception.

Timeline
17 hours ago, HRQX said:

Only very few F2A visas have been issued because those specific cases meet an exception to PP10014: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/27/2020-09068/suspension-of-entry-of-immigrants-who-present-a-risk-to-the-united-states-labor-market-during-the

Odds are that your spouse does not meet a listed exception.

Thanks. I will read it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are a long way off this being an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.