Sarasota

N-400 September 2020 Filers

1,423 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My parents filed n400 on 9/19 and both had their biometrics done same time on 3/8. My mom got her interview letter last Friday for June but my dad hasn't received anything. I'm wondering, do you guys know how long it takes before a spouse can get an interview letter? It's also weird because I'm a 7/20 filer and still hasn't received my interview letter. Hoping nothing is wrong with my application! We're all from same office--Reno, NV. 

7 hours ago, justwill said:

"Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval". That I should be receiving a letter from USCIS within 30 days.

We got home and just as I was writing this update, I checked on USCIS site and it showed that my status was updated with "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled" notice and that I should expect the letter to be sent within 30 days.

Almost there....

Congrats!  Chicago Field Office?  Did you ask if they could do a same day oath ceremony?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Just now, NorthSouth said:

Congrats!  Chicago Field Office?  Did you ask if they could do a same day oath ceremony?

Yes, it was at 101 W Ida B Wells building.

Before I could ask about same day oath, I was told that my case is being referred to be recommended for approval. And once approved, I would be getting a letter about my oath ceremony date.

7 hours ago, justwill said:

Update:

Just came back from my interview today. The officer handling the interview was very friendly and talkative after we got into his office.

First thing he asked for was for my passport and green card. Then he took a photo and fingerprint to verify my identity. Then he asked me to verify my information (full name, date of birth, and weight). Asked me if I've travelled anywhere recently (I last travelled to Puerto Rico just before the start of the pandemic last year).

He looked at my files and talked about my application. He joked that I was using my wife's discount to apply for naturalization (3 years mark) so I didn't have wait for 5 years.

Then we proceeded with the civics questions:

• When is the last day you can send in federal income tax forms?
  • What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
  • Who signs bills to become laws?
  • We elect a President for how many years?
  • There were 13 original states. Name three
  • When was the declaration of Independence adopted?

He stopped after 6 since I answered all correctly and asked me to read the written question: Where is the "White House located". Next, he cleared the iPad and showed a blank screen with paper lines and asked me to write the answer to that question and he dictated "The White House is located in Washington, D.C." He didn't give the punctuations, but that's what I put down and he was very impressed.

Last, he asked all the yes/no qualification questions.

After that iPad screen showed my name, DOB, etc and if I wanted to change my name. I answered No and signed on the iPad.

The iPad cleared again and then it showed the Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America and I signed on the iPad.

Last he did ask if I had any new documents that I wanted to update (he didn't ask for anything specific). I was prepared and gave him an updated tax transcript, updated bank account statement, beneficiary statement, and most recent utilities bills.

He explained that I had passed and gave me N-642 form that stated that I passed the civics test and "Congratulations! Your application has been recommended for approval". That I should be receiving a letter from USCIS within 30 days.

We got home and just as I was writing this update, I checked on USCIS site and it showed that my status was updated with "Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled" notice and that I should expect the letter to be sent within 30 days.

Almost there....

Congratulations! Did the officer ask you word definitions?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cloud Gate said:

Congratulations! Did the officer ask you word definitions?

Not at all.
To be honest, your question confuses me because you’re the third person that asked this question. No where have I seen that I would be asked about vocabulary or definition.

Could it be that I am very fluent in English? And that would be why I wasn’t asked?

9 hours ago, justwill said:

Not at all.
To be honest, your question confuses me because you’re the third person that asked this question. No where have I seen that I would be asked about vocabulary or definition.

Could it be that I am very fluent in English? And that would be why I wasn’t asked?

Yes, I think too. Officer ask vocabulary or definition based on applicant's knowledge about the English language.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
10 hours ago, NorthSouth said:

That would be great, but I haven't seen any same day oaths in Chicago Field Office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Ericka S said:

Hello everyone. My parents filed n400 on 9/19 and both had their biometrics done same time on 3/8. My mom got her interview letter last Friday for June but my dad hasn't received anything. I'm wondering, do you guys know how long it takes before a spouse can get an interview letter? It's also weird because I'm a 7/20 filer and still hasn't received my interview letter. Hoping nothing is wrong with my application! We're all from same office--Reno, NV. 

It's not a very active thread, but you could also try here:

Good news I got my interview date on 6/16! However I have a slight problem. I am moving to new address on 6/15. I am actually just moving to different apartment complex. It will still be the same street and city just different address #.

Now I am not sure how to change address online. I won’t move to my new address until 6/15 once I secure the place.

And also on the day of interview, I know I will be mentioning that I had moved. But I am not sure where to file the change of address online since I filled out my application online. I wanted to be prepared on the interview and ensure I did what I have to do.

I really needed to move because of my mom’s health condition. Our unit does not have an elevator so we needed to find a place on the lower unit.

If anyone can give me some advice would really help :)

Timeline
1 hour ago, clauric said:

Good news I got my interview date on 6/16! However I have a slight problem. I am moving to new address on 6/15. I am actually just moving to different apartment complex. It will still be the same street and city just different address #.

Now I am not sure how to change address online. I won’t move to my new address until 6/15 once I secure the place.

And also on the day of interview, I know I will be mentioning that I had moved. But I am not sure where to file the change of address online since I filled out my application online. I wanted to be prepared on the interview and ensure I did what I have to do.

I really needed to move because of my mom’s health condition. Our unit does not have an elevator so we needed to find a place on the lower unit.

If you already have your letter, then I wouldn’t worry about it. Just take the letter to the interview and you can confirm your new address there after the interview.

Also log in to my.uscis.gov and go to https://my.uscis.gov/account/applicant/profile.

There is a section there for N-400 Contact Information.

Again, I wouldn’t change it until after you’ve moved.

Edited by justwill

2 hours ago, clauric said:

Just change them in the website. There is an online form you can file. Took me 2 minutes. I just moved and I was hesitant about it but I just filled the form, submitted it and 2-3 days later I got a confirmation that they updated the address. Now in my online profile I can see my new address. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

My husband passed his interview today!!! 
He was asked 6 questions and then asked to read a sentence, write the answer, etc...same as everyone here has already mentioned. 

I did send with him the latest copy of our auto loan statement, mortgage statement and tax. The officer did ask if he had any loan statements so husband showed the papers. The office just glanced over them and said ok. Officer also asked where my husband currently works so it could be updated in the file, along with the address. 

My husband was making chit chat with the officer so it broke any tension between them. 

The Officer said the Oath should be in about a month. He also mentioned husband would receive a letter in the mail that he will need to bring with him to the oath along with the paper that the officer gave him that says he was approved. 

so happy this process is finally almost over. The oath part is the cherry on top! 

good luck to everyone still waiting. Stay positive you’re time is coming!

(I should mention I had made my own flash cards with the civic questions so he used that to study. I would quiz him when we were in the car)

N-400/Citizenship process:

Applied online: 9/06/2020

NOA1 received: 9/07/2020

Biometric: reuse letter received 1/19/2021

Interview: 5/12/2021 - APPROVED!!! 😃

Oath Ceremony: 6/04/2021

----------------------------

ROC process:

Mailed I-751 petition package: 4/6/2018

USPS delivered I-751: 4/9/2018

Check cashed: 5/24/2018

NOA received: 5/26/2018

Biometric letter received: 3/1/2019; Biometric Appt: 3/11/2019

Case Transfer letter received: 3/11/2019

Online Status changes: Card being produced- 5/24/2019; case is approved - 5/28/2019; Card is mailed - 5/29/2019; USPS picked up for delivery - 5/30/2019 (ETA 6/1/2019)

Approval letter received: 5/31/2019 showing approval date of 5/24/2019

Card received: 6/1/2019

------------------------------

Married life begins! June 25, 2015 (L)

I-130 Petition Process:

FedEx overnight I-130: July 15, 2015

NOA1 hardcopy received: July 24, 2015 (PD July 16, 2015);  NOA2 hard copy received: January 16, 2016

Petition sent to NVC text & email: January 25, 2016

NVC Process:

NVC Received Petition: February 1, 2016 :dance:

Case Complete: April 27, 2016 :dance:(286 days from NOA1)

Received Interview Date: May 9, 2016 :dancing:  Received Interview/Appointment Letter via email: May 10, 2016

Embassy Process:

Medical Exam: May 24, 2016;  Fingerprinting: June 16, 2016

Interview: June 17, 2016 (337 days from NOA1) - APPROVED!!!!! :dancing: :dance: :yes: :lol: B-)

Notification of Passport/Visa ready for pick up: June 21, 2016;  Visa in hand: June 22, 2016

POE (DFW): July 4, 2016; SS Card received: July 14, 2016; Green Card received: September 8, 2016

Applied for corrected GC: October 7, 2016; Corrected GC approved: December 16, 2017;  Corrected GC Received: December 22, 2017

1 hour ago, LinJoe said:

He was asked 6 questions and then asked to read a sentence, write the answer, etc...same as everyone here has already mentioned. 

I did send with him the latest copy of our auto loan statement, mortgage statement and tax. The officer did ask if he had any loan statements so husband showed the papers. The office just glanced over them and said ok. Officer also asked where my husband currently works so it could be updated in the file, along with the address. 

My husband was making chit chat with the officer so it broke any tension between them. 

The Officer said the Oath should be in about a month. He also mentioned husband would receive a letter in the mail that he will need to bring with him to the oath along with the paper that the officer gave him that says he was approved. 

so happy this process is finally almost over. The oath part is the cherry on top! 

(I should mention I had made my own flash cards with the civic questions so he used that to study. I would quiz him when we were in the car)

Congrats!

Timeline
On 5/12/2021 at 6:31 PM, LinJoe said:

Congratulations. We're almost there!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.