Elena99

After filing I-407 I was still able to return to the US. Does this mean I still have my green card?

99 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:
59 minutes ago, payxibka said:

here is a difference between relinquishment and abandonment.   You didn't abandon,  you relinquished 

Agree.  Relinquishment is an act of voluntary commission....which is exactly what happened here.

They seem to use those terms interchangeably. 

Section 1/ You can voluntarily relinquish your permanent resident status. ...

Section 2/You can contest the abandonment charge in immigration court. ...

Edited by Elena99

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Elena99 said:

Believe what you want. 

YMMV

15 hours ago, Elena99 said:

Do you know the best part of be young? Is that you have a looot of time to learn and improve your life.  Don't be so hard with yourself.  Just don't try anything that can really put your life in risk.  The law is really strict here in the US. Come back to your friends and family and one day you will laugh about all this!! 🥰💖

2 hours ago, Elena99 said:

Actually, it seems that they are using them to describe opposite situations (Relinquishment vs Abandonment). 

1) Voluntarily: of your own free will, because you decided and wanted to proceed.

2) See how they describe the abandonment as a charge?  Being charged is not a voluntary action; someone else is making the decision.    

Best of luck to you.  Please come back and keep us updated if you would like.

9 hours ago, Paula&Johnny said:

Do you know the best part of be young? Is that you have a looot of time to learn and improve your life.  Don't be so hard with yourself.  Just don't try anything that can really put your life in risk.  The law is really strict here in the US. Come back to your friends and family and one day you will laugh about all this!! 🥰💖

Paula&Johnny, thank you for your nice words. That's really what I now hope to do; learn from all this. Not just this particular issue, but how it relates to my choices in life in general. Thanks again. 💕

11 hours ago, payxibka said:

Believe what you want. 

I believe what I see and read in context. I also know that relinquish and abandon are synonyms, at least if I rely on the good people at Merriam Webster.

But I admit, English in not my primary language, so I am always willing to learn. I also appreciate anyone taking the time to comment on the GC issue. I certainly am not trying to find fault with what anyone else says or thinks. In my opinion, it is all productive.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/relinquish#synonyms671681714_SS2020-08-24.png.d81777d980b744115dd3309967571d83.png

Edited by Elena99

9 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Actually, it seems that they are using them to describe opposite situations (Relinquishment vs Abandonment). 

1) Voluntarily: of your own free will, because you decided and wanted to proceed.

2) See how they describe the abandonment as a charge?  Being charged is not a voluntary action; someone else is making the decision.    

Its seems I am in the minority here concerning the meaning of the terms used, so odds are you are correct.

But, by looking at the general title, it does not seem to recognize a difference in the words. It says,  "If I have abandoned my permanent resident status can I still enter the United States?"

It is all under the encompassing umbrella of abandoned, not abandoned or relinquished. 

It then goes to subheading 1 offering one option using Form I-193 ($595 filling ) then as an alternative, under subheading 2 going before a judge for reinstatement. 

Again, English is not my native language and please keep in mind, I am a person that boarded a plane with an abandoned/relinquished green card. I am not in a position to offer any understanding of the law especially when it comes to immigration. So I offer my comments with all due respect to you and all those who take time to offer their help.

9 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Best of luck to you.  Please come back and keep us updated if you would like.

Thank you Lemonslice! 🙂

This forum has been a calming and enlightening experience for me. I was really a nervous wreck because of my actions. I appreciate all the wonderful people here offering hope and advice, as well as sound judgment on my actions.

I still have a couple of days as I prepare to leave, but I will certainly give an update on what finally happens. 

Edited by Elena99

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The old phrase words have meaning comes to mind and different words have different meanings.

Certainly in the legal context you need to read the whole of the document.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.