32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband received his EAD/AP combo card in February.  I know we have about 6 months before his EAD expires, but I was wondering how long EAD renewal typically takes and how bad the delays have been because of COVID, to get an idea if/when we should file for renewal. 

Also, his AOS status online says that they've been ready to schedule the interview since January.  Some other threads about EAD renewal that I checked generally suggested to wait for the interview to be scheduled, but again, I'm not sure how bad the delays are.  We want to avoid his EAD expiring and pending renewal so that he can't work while we're waiting for his interview.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by rainingsilver64

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, rainingsilver64 said:

My husband received his EAD/AP combo card in February.  I know we have about 6 months before his EAD expires, but I was wondering how long EAD renewal typically takes and how bad the delays have been because of COVID, to get an idea if/when we should file for renewal. 

Also, his AOS status online says that they've been ready to schedule the interview since January.  Some other threads about EAD renewal that I checked generally suggested to wait for the interview to be scheduled, but again, I'm not sure how bad the delays are.  We want to avoid his EAD expiring and pending renewal so that he can't work while we're waiting for his interview.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Covid  has nothing to do with when you can submit a renewal 

YMMV

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

You can renew as early as 180 days before the EAD/AP card expires. I would do it a few days after the window opens. File as early as possible to be safe. That is what I did for my wifes EAD/AP card, and they are both processed electronically now, so renewals are a little faster than before. But don't wait, I would get it sent as soon as you hit the 180 day window. When the new card comes it won't start until the expiration date on your current card is up. My wife has hers 3 months before her current one expired, and we managed to have our interview before the original expired, but it was good knowing the new one was already in hand before the old one expired. It made no difference at the interview, The IO looked at the cards and handed them back( For AOS it asks you to bring any cards you have received from USCIS, so make sure you bring all your cards)

Thanks!  Did it cost money to renew her EAD/AP?  I saw mixed comments on this in the other threads - some mentioned there not being one if you filed for AOS before a certain date, including your AOS NOA1 in the package to waive the fee, etc., but I wasn't sure which was correct.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
11 minutes ago, rainingsilver64 said:

Thanks!  Did it cost money to renew her EAD/AP?  I saw mixed comments on this in the other threads - some mentioned there not being one if you filed for AOS before a certain date, including your AOS NOA1 in the package to waive the fee, etc., but I wasn't sure which was correct.

No, renewal was free with a pending AOS. I believe the changes take effect on October 2nd, 2020 where the renewal is no longer free. So definitely if your window opens before then, you can file for renewal for free by including your NOA1 from your AOS filing. I would send it a least a week before October begins to be safe.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

No, renewal was free with a pending AOS. I believe the changes take effect on October 2nd, 2020 where the renewal is no longer free. So definitely if your window opens before then, you can file for renewal for free by including your NOA1 from your AOS filing. I would send it a least a week before October begins to be safe.

Renewals will still be free for those who applied for AOS before October.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, J.Z.Lefort said:

So what forms do we need to be filling when we reapply? Mine runs out in february too and still no sign of interview 

The same ones.

Timeline
On 8/18/2020 at 7:28 PM, Ayrton said:

Yes and yes.

To confirm, are these all the documents? 

-Cover Letter for EAD Renewal

-I-765 Application for Employment Documentation

• Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  • Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt notice of pending I-485
  • Copy of my current Employment Authorization Document that expires within 180 days
  • Copy of I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of current I-766

-Cover Letter for AP Renwal

-I-131 Application for Travel Document

• Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
  • Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance
  • Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt notice of pending I-485
  • Copy of my current Employment Authorization Document that says "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole" and expires within 180 days
  • Copy of I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of current I-1766

Also a question about the I-797 approval notice of current I-766 docs needed in both EAD and AP renewal packets - I got an I-797 for the EAD (I-765) and and I-797 for the AP (I-131).  I don't believe I got an I-797 for an I-766, so should I just include the two approval notices respective to each renewal packet?

Lists pulled from this thread:  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, Loren Y said:

You can renew as early as 180 days before the EAD/AP card expires. I would do it a few days after the window opens. File as early as possible to be safe. That is what I did for my wifes EAD/AP card, and they are both processed electronically now, so renewals are a little faster than before. But don't wait, I would get it sent as soon as you hit the 180 day window. When the new card comes it won't start until the expiration date on your current card is up. My wife has hers 3 months before her current one expired, and we managed to have our interview before the original expired, but it was good knowing the new one was already in hand before the old one expired. It made no difference at the interview, The IO looked at the cards and handed them back( For AOS it asks you to bring any cards you have received from USCIS, so make sure you bring all your cards)

Please how long did the EAD renewal take? 

Other information made me think the renewal is in a form of receipt or Notice... Do they send an entirely new card?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, DISCERNING said:

Please how long did the EAD renewal take? 

Other information made me think the renewal is in a form of receipt or Notice... Do they send an entirely new card?

When I did my EAD renewal it was completed in about a month exactly. My friend just did his EAD/AP card a few months ago and it only took his about 5-6 weeks and he got a whole new combo card. They are both processed electronically now, so renewal is pretty quick.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

3 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

When I did my EAD renewal it was completed in about a month exactly. My friend just did his EAD/AP card a few months ago and it only took his about 5-6 weeks and he got a whole new combo card. They are both processed electronically now, so renewal is pretty quick.

Oh ok..

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate. 

My EAD renewal package got to them on the 15th of August. 

I am yet to get any notification or notice of receipt.

I guess I have 15more days to know if it needs to be followed up on.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, DISCERNING said:

Oh ok..

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate. 

My EAD renewal package got to them on the 15th of August. 

I am yet to get any notification or notice of receipt.

I guess I have 15more days to know if it needs to be followed up on.

You should see the notice soon, it will usually say we received your application for EAD/AP, and we will use the current bio metrics we have on file ( They may need you to do new ones, but I doubt it) then my friend that just did his got the new card a week after he received the notice. I would think you will see the status change to card being produced in a few weeks from now. Keep an eye on the case number when you get the notice. It should start with a EOA, or EOI prefix because it is processed electronically.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.