32 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2020 at 10:29 AM, Ayrton said:

Renewals will still be free for those who applied for AOS before October.

Sorry I realise this is an old post but I will be renewing my EAD in November which is 6 months before it is due to run out. I applied for AOS last November. Will I have to pay to renew my EAD?? The information I have found online is conflicting. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, BandBjourney said:

Sorry I realise this is an old post but I will be renewing my EAD in November which is 6 months before it is due to run out. I applied for AOS last November. Will I have to pay to renew my EAD?? The information I have found online is conflicting. 

Renewals will still be free for those who applied for AOS before October 2020.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:50 PM, Loren Y said:

When I did my EAD renewal it was completed in about a month exactly. My friend just did his EAD/AP card a few months ago and it only took his about 5-6 weeks and he got a whole new combo card. They are both processed electronically now, so renewal is pretty quick.

I applied for combo renewal at the beginning of September 2020 and both case numbers came back with MSC, so it seems that unfortunately not everyone is getting electronic processing at the moment.

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 10/2/2020 at 12:21 PM, Ayrton said:

Renewals will still be free for those who applied for AOS before October 2020.

My husband actually just got rejected for his EAD renewal (I-765) because we didn't include payment.  We filed for AOS in November 2019.

I just checked the USCIS website on the form and filing fee exceptions, and our category (c)(9) wasn't listed.  https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

Does this mean we have to pay the $410 filing fee, or is there a way to contest this?

Timeline
4 minutes ago, rainingsilver64 said:

My husband actually just got rejected for his EAD renewal (I-765) because we didn't include payment.  We filed for AOS in November 2019.

I just checked the USCIS website on the form and filing fee exceptions, and our category (c)(9) wasn't listed.  https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

Does this mean we have to pay the $410 filing fee, or is there a way to contest this?

Nope. Still free. Letters of rejection are generic.

Did you send the NOA 1 from the AOS form? You either forgot this or sent an outdated form.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

Nope. Still free. Letters of rejection are generic.

Did you send the NOA 1 from the AOS form? You either forgot this or sent an outdated form.

The rejection letter is titled "Eligibility Category:  C09", so I thought that's what's related to.

We did, the NOA I-797C for I-485.  I'm not sure how I would know if that was outdated.  We received it last November, a couple weeks after filing for AOS.  Is there a way to tell if it's outdated?  And if so, what other document would we send?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, rainingsilver64 said:

The rejection letter is titled "Eligibility Category:  C09", so I thought that's what's related to.

We did, the NOA I-797C for I-485.  I'm not sure how I would know if that was outdated.  We received it last November, a couple weeks after filing for AOS.  Is there a way to tell if it's outdated?  And if so, what other document would we send?

I'm saying the EAD form was outdated since they released 2 or 3 different forms in the past few months.

Send everything again and make sure you put the NOA 1 on top of the package so they know they will waive the fee.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

I'm saying the EAD form was outdated since they released 2 or 3 different forms in the past few months.

Send everything again and make sure you put the NOA 1 on top of the package so they know they will waive the fee.

Ah, I understand now.  And after re-reading the rejection letter, I see the next sentence says includes outdated form as one of the reasons.  Thanks for clarifying!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For what it's worth, I recently helped my wife renew her EAD.  She came on a K1 and is pending adjustment of status.

Submitted the papers around mid-September - months before expiration.  She received her new card around the end of October and it's good until December 2021.  It went way smoother than I was expecting. 

As stated above, there is no fee to be collected under eligibility category C09.  Be sure to include a copy of your NOA I-797C for adjustment of status and submit the most recently published versions of forms. 

I-129F Sent : 2018-07-06
I-129F NOA1 : 2018-07-13
I-129F NOA2 : 2019-02-01
NVC Received : 2019-02-08
Packet 3 Received : 2019-04-16
Packet 3 Sent : 2019-04-17
Packet 4 Received : 2019-04-24
Interview Date : 2019-06-05

• 1 month later...
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ngarcia said:

Hello! thanks in advance for your help, I am getting ready to submit my combo renewal before the holidays, since my EAD will be due on March 2021.

Did you add the $85 fee for biometrics? and what about the 2 passport picture for each application?

There's no fee. Yes. Include everything they ask in the instructions.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am filing for my husband EAD renewal.  We have been waiting for the interview to be scheduled since February 21, 2020.  I am having a hard time understanding what exactly I need to send it along with form i-765.  I need to send in a check? So confused halllp.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, mmsamor said:

I am filing for my husband EAD renewal.  We have been waiting for the interview to be scheduled since February 21, 2020.  I am having a hard time understanding what exactly I need to send it along with form i-765.  I need to send in a check? So confused halllp.

The answer is just above your question. No fee, read the instructions for the supporting documents you have to send.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 11/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, rainingsilver64 said:

Ah, I understand now.  And after re-reading the rejection letter, I see the next sentence says includes outdated form as one of the reasons.  Thanks for clarifying!!

Do you know how long it took for them to reject? From the time you sent your renewal application to the rejection? And did you receive your evidence/form package back? I'm afraid I also sent outdated forms and I'll receive a rejection. My package was delivered on March 14th.

Timeline
10 hours ago, BiAdam said:

Do you know how long it took for them to reject? From the time you sent your renewal application to the rejection? And did you receive your evidence/form package back? I'm afraid I also sent outdated forms and I'll receive a rejection. My package was delivered on March 14th.

It took about two months and I believe they sent everything back. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.