Marthaeu

CR1 beneficiary diagnosed with cancer

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I’m sorry to hear. Hopefully they are doing well and remain so.

Cancer is not a reason for a visa refusal by any means. Just be sure to have a plan for treatment and covering costs ready to go upon day 1 in the US.

If they are or will be on chemo, flying may not be a great idea at this time. Use your best judgement and medical advice for your specific circumstances.

If you want to delay things at NVC, you can. It’s always easier to go slower, not faster.

Thank you for your words .  We are awaiting test results for the Dr to determine what we should do.  We received this sad news a few days ago.  We are at CEAC and submitted the sponsorship and was about to submit the DS260. Now I don’t know what to do .

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Best wishes, OP, to you and your beneficiary.  

Many cancers are treatable and/or curable.  Unfortunately, here in the US, one must consider the financial component when making treatment decisions.  Depending on the nature of the cancer and treatments options in your beneficiary's country, it may be cheaper to seek treatment there.

If not, it is good to know that he/she cannot be denied health insurance here in the US based on pre-existing conditions (thanks, Obama ❤️ ).  Usually the best choice for adding a spouse to insurance is a workplace-based plan if you have one.

Hang in there.  Please keep us informed.  I'm an oncology RN - feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer.

Thank you very much for the desire to give us your opinion and with pleasure I will be sharing the results that come out to my husband and what better to have another opinion.  And if, thanks to Obama, I can include him in my insurance, it is good.We are reassured to know that it will not be causal to deny the visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, Marthaeu said:

I hope there is someone with a similar situation and share their experience.Thanks 

You should continue the process and I would recommend getting treatment at the home country as soon as possible.

During my wife's immigration medical in Ukraine, they found some spots on her lung.  So she had to get further testing to make sure it wasn't Tuberculosis.  Despite everything that happened, this delayed her arrival to the USA by 3 months.  She also went to get several other medical opinions.  What was thought to possibly be TB turned out to be lung cancer.  She had surgery in Ukraine at a private hospital to have a lobe of one lung removed.  This all happened several months after we got married and from the time we found out it was cancer to the actual surgery was a few weeks.  I don't believe diagnosis and treatment could occur so fast in the USA.  At first she had to go for CT scans with contrast  and bloodwork, and her surgeons consultation every 4 months.  So for the first year after surgery, we travelled to Ukraine every 4 months for medical follow ups.   And now for the past 2+ years every 6 months for medical follow ups.  Just last week, her surgeon recommended annual medical follow ups.  We were lucky they caught it early but she is still high risk for cancer.  She never smoked and possible cause is that she lived in one of the fallout areas from Chernobyl.  

I think you will find that the financial aspects will greatly influence where you would want medical treatment to be performed.  Despite us having to pay for everything using private hospitals, doctors, surgeon, labs plus the expense of traveling for all the medical follow ups; the costs were much less than the out of pocket costs with insurance here in the USA. 

I wish you luck! 

Timeline
19 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

You should continue the process and I would recommend getting treatment at the home country as soon as possible.

During my wife's immigration medical in Ukraine, they found some spots on her lung.  So she had to get further testing to make sure it wasn't Tuberculosis.  Despite everything that happened, this delayed her arrival to the USA by 3 months.  She also went to get several other medical opinions.  What was thought to possibly be TB turned out to be lung cancer.  She had surgery in Ukraine at a private hospital to have a lobe of one lung removed.  This all happened several months after we got married and from the time we found out it was cancer to the actual surgery was a few weeks.  I don't believe diagnosis and treatment could occur so fast in the USA.  At first she had to go for CT scans with contrast  and bloodwork, and her surgeons consultation every 4 months.  So for the first year after surgery, we travelled to Ukraine every 4 months for medical follow ups.   And now for the past 2+ years every 6 months for medical follow ups.  Just last week, her surgeon recommended annual medical follow ups.  We were lucky they caught it early but she is still high risk for cancer.  She never smoked and possible cause is that she lived in one of the fallout areas from Chernobyl.  

I think you will find that the financial aspects will greatly influence where you would want medical treatment to be performed.  Despite us having to pay for everything using private hospitals, doctors, surgeon, labs plus the expense of traveling for all the medical follow ups; the costs were much less than the out of pocket costs with insurance here in the USA. 

I wish you luck! 

Thanks for sharing your story.  The costs are of course cheaper in my husband's country only that we are in a pandemic with no end date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.