thestankers

Reassurance Please - Advanced Parole

12 posts in this topic

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

AOS currently in progress from July 2019. Issued with EAD/AP in Dec 2019. Passport (with L1 stamps) is due to expire in Dec 2020. Currently waiting on an interview as of 16th June, Manhattan based.

Currently considering returning to the UK for 2-3 months 1) death in the family 2) childcare 3) care for older members of family

Questions:

1. Can anyone provide any insight on whether COVID-19/Visa noise from the White House is causing any issues with Advanced Paroles? 
  2. Will my Dec passport expiration cause any issues with any of this? I'm assuming I just need to return to the US prior to the passport expiration and re-apply for a new one from here.
  3. Does the case status update with the interview date? If i am out of the country, there is a risk that we are mailed the interview date but won't be around to see it.

Thanks

1) no

2) what issues are you talking about ?  There is no rule that you have to renew passport in US . you can renew it in UK too if you can

3) no . yes if you are out of country it means you have abandoned the interview and can have consequences

duh

6 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Why not just renew your British passport if you are in the UK?  Will be much easier.

Yup - your US-based UK consulate should be able to do this for you and/or advise you.

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Yup - your US-based UK consulate should be able to do this for you and/or advise you.

Online.  Not via consulate 

YMMV

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all

Thanks for your responses.

The concern around passport renewal is due to the fact that my adjustment of status/existing L1-B/Advanced Parole is linked to my current passport. If i renew my passport in the UK, then it concerns me whether it will cause any issues when it comes to re-entering the US.

My plan right now is to go to the UK, return before the expiry date and then renew from the US. Hopefully my green card interview is not scheduled until October/November time frame. (Right now it's 'ready to be scheduled for interview as of 16th June...previously it was this in September)

Anyone see any concerns or issues with this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
23 minutes ago, thestankers said:

Hello all

Thanks for your responses.

The concern around passport renewal is due to the fact that my adjustment of status/existing L1-B/Advanced Parole is linked to my current passport. If i renew my passport in the UK, then it concerns me whether it will cause any issues when it comes to re-entering the US.

My plan right now is to go to the UK, return before the expiry date and then renew from the US. Hopefully my green card interview is not scheduled until October/November time frame. (Right now it's 'ready to be scheduled for interview as of 16th June...previously it was this in September)

Anyone see any concerns or issues with this?

The only difference in a UK renewal vs renewal from the US is the extra postage/courier fee to send to and receive back from England. All passports are processed in the UK. 

Renew your UK passport at a UK passport office since you will be in the country. You can make appointments in advance for expedited service that will fit in the timeframe you are there . (That is unless Covid has changed the rules). There are several offices scatter around that can do this.

If you renew from the US, you will mail off your existing passport and wait an unknown time to get the new passport sent back from the UK. 

If you have a new passport by interview, take the old and new to the interview.

Edited by Wuozopo

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Passport is a travel document not "linked" to any AOS application.   Your AP is linked to your I485 not the passport 

YMMV

4 hours ago, payxibka said:

Passport is a travel document not "linked" to any AOS application.   Your AP is linked to your I485 not the passport 

Not only that, but future passports are always linked to current passports.  One can have an expired passport with a visa that is still actually valid.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, Jorgedig said:

Not only that, but future passports are always linked to current passports.  One can have an expired passport with a visa that is still actually valid.

I might be mistaken but as far as I know B2 visa is still valid even if it's in an expired passport. But you have to have a new one to be able to travel, of course. 

8 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

I might be mistaken but as far as I know B2 visa is still valid even if it's in an expired passport. But you have to have a new one to be able to travel, of course. 

Exactly.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.