myaumyau

Want to bring my parents to America and thinking of getting Citizenship

16 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

It has been 5 years and 3 months since I have moved to USA and want to bring my parents to USA. Since you cant bring parents as a Green Card holder, I was thinking of applying for citizenship and have filled up the N400 form. 

I have been reading of public charge rules recently and want to know if my parents will be eligible to come here after I get my citizenship. Here are a little details about my parents.

They are aged 77 and 73, retired, dad has diabetes and some other health issues. The public charge rules say that the Green Card will be decided based on their age, education/skill, health, assets, etc. So my parents are elderly and will not be working. Does this mean my parents' application will be denied based on their age/health? I just want to weigh up my options before I commit to the citizenship. My country does not allow dual citizenship and I have to make this decision carefully. The only reason I want to get citizenship is to bring my parents over here. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

It would be an uphill battle but not impossible. Do you have a good job and are able to afford health insurance for approximately $600-$800 a month per parent? These are other factors to think of.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Timeline

Price US heath insurance rates for them. They will not qualify for Medicare. It may be better to keep them in their country and pay for household help and healthcare there. The culture shock of the US at their age can be hard.

Given what you have said about their age and health issues, a lot will depend on your own income. To be fairly comfortable of success you’d probably want to be in the 250% of poverty guideline type range (if not more). And as above, rather than just looking at the income guidelines, actually doing proper research into healthcare expenses is important. Being ill and old is expensive here.

Also: what do your parents think about the prospect of moving to another country at that age? While I’m sure they’d love to be with you (& grandchildren?) it is often hard to move countries, cultures, maybe language at that age, especially if they have a good social network/support system at home and if they do not have any or many relatives/friends other than you in the US. Just some non-financial factors to bear in mind too. With many people it seems to be a case of “well if they don’t like it they can go back again”, but the stakes seem higher for you given the no dual citizenship issue. 

@myaumyau,,

As mentioned, your biggest hurdle will be health insurance. You need to start doing research now because the prices can be sky high. There was another poster a few weeks ago who was looking to bring over their parents and reported to get quotes of $1200 per month for health insurance. The public charge rule is put into place so immigrants don't rely on public funds meant for US citizens. And they have been cracking down on following the public charge rule more and more. With your parent's age and pre-existing condition, you are looking at shelling out a lot of money to care for them here because they do not qualify for public assistance  like medicaid.

You say you want to weigh your options. What we have seen sometimes is the person decides not to bring over their parents because the cost was too high. Another option is for them to obtain a visitor visa and only stay here for a short while. But other than that, you are looking at high health care costs.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Given what you have said about their age and health issues, a lot will depend on your own income. To be fairly comfortable of success you’d probably want to be in the 250% of poverty guideline type range (if not more). And as above, rather than just looking at the income guidelines, actually doing proper research into healthcare expenses is important. Being ill and old is expensive here.

Also: what do your parents think about the prospect of moving to another country at that age? While I’m sure they’d love to be with you (& grandchildren?) it is often hard to move countries, cultures, maybe language at that age, especially if they have a good social network/support system at home and if they do not have any or many relatives/friends other than you in the US. Just some non-financial factors to bear in mind too. With many people it seems to be a case of “well if they don’t like it they can go back again”, but the stakes seem higher for you given the no dual citizenship issue. 

Hello,

They have been to USA before to visit me and have lived in Europe for a while so I do not think they will have major culture shock. They have a good social circle at home and are financially well off there. But their wish is to be with me. Medical insurance seems rough. I do not think I can afford $2000 for both of them per month. Can I combine with my spouse to sponsor them? Thanks for your reply.

11 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

@myaumyau,,

As mentioned, your biggest hurdle will be health insurance. You need to start doing research now because the prices can be sky high. There was another poster a few weeks ago who was looking to bring over their parents and reported to get quotes of $1200 per month for health insurance. The public charge rule is put into place so immigrants don't rely on public funds meant for US citizens. And they have been cracking down on following the public charge rule more and more. With your parent's age and pre-existing condition, you are looking at shelling out a lot of money to care for them here because they do not qualify for public assistance  like medicaid.

You say you want to weigh your options. What we have seen sometimes is the person decides not to bring over their parents because the cost was too high. Another option is for them to obtain a visitor visa and only stay here for a short while. But other than that, you are looking at high health care costs.

Hello,

They do have a visitor visa. What can be done if they get sick while they are here? I hope they can be here for 6 months at least and I can go back with them for another few months. My country does offer Travel Medical Insurance but I dont think it covers pre-existing conditions. Can visitors get insurance of similar kind while they stay here?

3 minutes ago, myaumyau said:

Hello,

They have been to USA before to visit me and have lived in Europe for a while so I do not think they will have major culture shock. They have a good social circle at home and are financially well off there. But their wish is to be with me. Medical insurance seems rough. I do not think I can afford $2000 for both of them per month. Can I combine with my spouse to sponsor them? Thanks for your reply.

Please be aware that the medical cost is not just insurance premiums. Deductibles can be sizable too. I am not sure how serious your dad’s diabetes is, but it is a notoriously expensive chronic disease here - there have been reports of people dying because they cannot afford  the correct insulin dosage. 

Yes, your husband can sponsor with you.  But I am also wondering if (just under) half a year on a tourist visa on a regular basis might not be a better idea all round. They can get prescription medication at home and bring it with and have travel medical insurance for unexpected events.

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, your husband can sponsor with you.  But I am also wondering if (just under) half a year on a tourist visa on a regular basis might not be a better idea all round. They can get prescription medication at home and bring it with and have travel medical insurance for unexpected events.

I have thought of this. We communicate with the doctors in our country online about dosage and stuff and can bring enough supplies for 6 months. But I am worried about insurance companies excluding issues arising from pre-existing conditions if anything happens. My home country offers Travel Medical Insurance, which is not mandatory for USA but is for UK and some European countries. But I remember they applied a clause that said they wouldnt cover any pre-existing conditions. Is there any insurance in USA that can cover for tourists while they are here?

On diabetes

“Insulin accounts for more than a third of the average annual cost for an individual managing diabetes, which is $18,500 on average” (this was for 2016 and is probably higher now) https://www.premisehealth.com/blog/the-cost-of-diabetes-in-seven-graphs/

1 minute ago, myaumyau said:

I have thought of this. We communicate with the doctors in our country online about dosage and stuff and can bring enough supplies for 6 months. But I am worried about insurance companies excluding issues arising from pre-existing conditions if anything happens. My home country offers Travel Medical Insurance, which is not mandatory for USA but is for UK and some European countries. But I remember they applied a clause that said they wouldnt cover any pre-existing conditions. Is there any insurance in USA that can cover for tourists while they are here?

I think @Boilerknows more about insurance and maybe can chip in here, but my understanding is that most travel insurance excludes pre-existing conditions. 

17 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

On diabetes

“Insulin accounts for more than a third of the average annual cost for an individual managing diabetes, which is $18,500 on average” (this was for 2016 and is probably higher now) https://www.premisehealth.com/blog/the-cost-of-diabetes-in-seven-graphs/

Outrageous. $5 insulin lasts a month or more back home. Thank you for the info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Most travel insurance will not cover pre-existing conditions. Your best bet is to google travel insurance and read their policies. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

15 hours ago, myaumyau said:

I do not think I can afford $2000 for both of them per month. Can I combine with my spouse to sponsor them?

Combining sponsorship has nothing to do with affording premiums for their health care.  They will need to be covered, regardless of sponsorship.  They will not be eligible for medicare, having not paid into it.  Even high-premium health care plans can be expensive as people age and their health care needs rise.

It is a very real concern, and IMO the biggest consideration for people trying to bring elderly relatives to the US.

15 hours ago, myaumyau said:

What can be done if they get sick while they are here?

You would need to pay hospital/doctor/related charges out of pocket if not covered by travel insurance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.