TinNhi

Should I fly to Vietnam for my Fiance's K1 interview?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

New member, first post here.  Once travel restrictions are lifted and K1 interviews resume in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, do you recommend I fly there to be with my Fiance for her interview?   I've read mixed experiences and opinions on this.  I understand that they may not even allow me to stand next to her for the interview, but maybe it helps our case if the CO knows that I'm physically present?  I also read here about a couple that probably would have been denied if the USC did not "save" the interview.

Thanks!

Tin - Natural-born U.S. Citizen, Male, Vietnamese descent

Nhi - Vietnamese Citizen, Female

Met in 2018 while Tin was on a 3 month family vacation in Vietnam.  Tin took another 3 month vacation to be with Nhi in 2019.

I-129F (K1) mailed in December 2019

NOA1 in January 2020

NOA2 in June 2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I see absolutely no downside to being there for the interview.  If your fiance can show the CO your passport and say "My future spouse is outside waiting for me", it would be positive......imo.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Even if your fiance can show the CO your passport and say "My future spouse is outside waiting for me"

This is absolutely the best thing to do!

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Fantastic, thanks so much you guys!  :)

Tin - Natural-born U.S. Citizen, Male, Vietnamese descent

Nhi - Vietnamese Citizen, Female

Met in 2018 while Tin was on a 3 month family vacation in Vietnam.  Tin took another 3 month vacation to be with Nhi in 2019.

I-129F (K1) mailed in December 2019

NOA1 in January 2020

NOA2 in June 2020

17 minutes ago, tinnhi said:

Hi all,

New member, first post here.  Once travel restrictions are lifted and K1 interviews resume in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, do you recommend I fly there to be with my Fiance for her interview?   I've read mixed experiences and opinions on this.  I understand that they may not even allow me to stand next to her for the interview, but maybe it helps our case if the CO knows that I'm physically present?  I also read here about a couple that probably would have been denied if the USC did not "save" the interview.

Thanks!

I was there for my spouse's interview in Juarez.  If I wasn't there she would have received a 221(g) for a document that was not needed.

If you can afford to go then go!

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I went in with my spouse's K1 interview at HCM consulate, they did ask me some questions.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
59 minutes ago, tinnhi said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

The new normal may limit who can be in the building for the interview but being "just outside" would be the next best thing 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife is from Thailand, so a bit different. But I was there with her, we got in line very early and was still a long line. But when they came to check peoples paperwork and appointments. The lady asked me if i was a USC and i said yes and she took us to the front and put us in our own line. Then when they opened my wife was first in, she showed the many my passport as well and told him i was here with her waiting outside. She told me he looked at her smiled and in about 10 min she was approved for visa and it was the easiest part of the process other than the arrival screening in usa. That was even faster 🙂

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi TinNhi,

I went to the visa interview with my Brazilian fiance' (now wife) on January 7, 2020 at the consulate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  I definitely got the impression that my presence was beneficial.  The consulate officer asked me a few questions, and generally spoke to us as a couple.  The actual interview was very smooth, pleasant,  and only took about 10 minutes for the consulate officer to look through the documents and ask a few questions and then say "Your visa is approved"  -- and I think me standing there and answering a few questions in broken Portuguese was a significant contributor to how well the process went.

Having said that, there were at least 6 other single Brazilians there for K1 interviews and those were all approved too.

In the end, I think it comes down to this:  if you have the vacation days and money available, I think your presence would be beneficial.  If you cannot reasonably afford the trip, I don't think your absence will be viewed as a serious negative.

Mark (and Sandra)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
22 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

I see absolutely no downside to being there for the interview.  If your fiance can show the CO your passport and say "My future spouse is outside waiting for me", it would be positive......imo.

Yep my lawyer said the same thing. I plan to be there when my fiancee does her interview. Can't attend it but I'll damn sure be right outside.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 6/23/2020 at 11:23 AM, TinNhi said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

I attended my wife’s interview I went to the window with her and they asked me if I was the  petitioner. They told me to be seated and they would call me back up if needed. The interview area is all open and no one was sitting in the seats at that window. I was able to hear every question and watch the interview. Look at my timeline if you want to see all the questions they asked her. 

event.png

Our Journey

K-1 Visa

09/13/2014 - I-129F Sent

09/16/2014 - NOA1

04/08/2015 - NOA2 (204 Days)

04/14/2015 - NVC Received

05/04/2015 - Consulate Received

05/12/2015 - Packet 3 Received

05/13/2015 - Packet 3 Sent

07/08/2015 - Interview - Approved (295 Days)

07/29/2015 - POE - Houston

08/03/2015 - Married

AOS

10/01/2015 - I-485, I-131 and I-765 Sent

10/05/2015 - NOA Receipt

10/26/2015 - Biometrics

12/28/2015 - Filed Service Request For EAD

12/29/2015 - AP/EAD Approved (89 Days)

01/07/2016 - AP/EAD Combo Card Received

02/16/2016 - AOS Approved (137 Days)

02/24/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

11/18/2017 - ROC 90 day window opens

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.