2,967 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Dordor1 said:

Hello guys. How is everyone? I’ve been silent and MIA for a while trying to work my butt off ever since I got a job. But today, my spirit went rock bottom as I was served annulment papers from my husband. Such a nightmare. When will this be over my God? Guys what should I do now? I can’t imagine being in court fighting with this person. 

The only way to obtain a civil annulment that legally dissolves your marriage is by proving one of the following grounds: fraud or misrepresentation, lack of consummation, incest, bigamy, lack of consent, unsound mind, or force. If non of these situation applies to you, then my dear Dordor, your spouse may find it hard to convince a judge to grant the civil annulment!

Do not under any circumstance sign the document. I believe you have an attorney..you might want to retain one. Your phone service provider should be able to provide the exchange you may require as proof. Try not to stress yourself too much..there's no new situation under the sun! This too shall pass!😊

Filed: Timeline

Posting 2 resources here- 

abuse information in over 110 languages; and information on abuse help agencies for every country in the world. This can be useful for those filing from abroad as well as in the US. ( @natalysmile thinking of you, hopefully the page for Russia can connect you to an agency there to help you)

https://www.hotpeachpages.net/a/countries.html  

And this is a link for DocuSAFE a free app that helps survivors   collect, store, and share evidence of abuse, such as domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, online harassment, and dating violence. Survivors can document abuse by logging individual incidents, including any photos, screenshots, or video documentation of threatening messages, harassing social media posts, unwanted repeat calls, or online impersonation, among other abusive behaviors.  I dont have personal experience using it but have been told its easy to use and very helpful. Its for both android and IOS. The webpage has additional information on safety from a tech perspective. If anyone does use it Id be interested in knowing if it was helpful or has issues with it, I dont want to push links for stuff that isnt!   Its designed to be used for the local court system/police so its not something you can gather evidence on and upload to USCIS but I do believe it still can be used to gather evidence for your VAWA case. Its almost like having a secure 'cloud' where you can store your evidence and its funded by the Dept of Justice.   https://www.techsafety.org/docusafe  

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Just now, Villanelle said:

Posting 2 resources here- 

abuse information in over 110 languages; and information on abuse help agencies for every country in the world. This can be useful for those filing from abroad as well as in the US. ( @natalysmile thinking of you, hopefully the page for Russia can connect you to an agency there to help you)

https://www.hotpeachpages.net/a/countries.html  

And this is a link for DocuSAFE a free app that helps survivors   collect, store, and share evidence of abuse, such as domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, online harassment, and dating violence. Survivors can document abuse by logging individual incidents, including any photos, screenshots, or video documentation of threatening messages, harassing social media posts, unwanted repeat calls, or online impersonation, among other abusive behaviors.  I dont have personal experience using it but have been told its easy to use and very helpful. Its for both android and IOS. The webpage has additional information on safety from a tech perspective. If anyone does use it Id be interested in knowing if it was helpful or has issues with it, I dont want to push links for stuff that isnt!   Its designed to be used for the local court system/police so its not something you can gather evidence on and upload to USCIS but I do believe it still can be used to gather evidence for your VAWA case. Its almost like having a secure 'cloud' where you can store your evidence and its funded by the Dept of Justice.   https://www.techsafety.org/docusafe  

Thank You.

53 minutes ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

The only way to obtain a civil annulment that legally dissolves your marriage is by proving one of the following grounds: fraud or misrepresentation, lack of consummation, incest, bigamy, lack of consent, unsound mind, or force. If non of these situation applies to you, then my dear Dordor, your spouse may find it hard to convince a judge to grant the civil annulment!

Do not under any circumstance sign the document. I believe you have an attorney..you might want to retain one. Your phone service provider should be able to provide the exchange you may require as proof. Try not to stress yourself too much..there's no new situation under the sun! This too shall pass!😊

Aww thank you @Stillwinning!!!😊. Put a smile on my face during this cloudy time.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dordor1 said:

He not my daughter’s father...thank you for replying.

You will need a lawyer.  DO not worry you can still file VAWA and AOS with an annulment, as long as it is not based on fraud.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Also @Dordor1 this may interest you as well as others in your situation!👇👇👇

If your marriage was annulled before you filed for VAWA, there is little chance of you being successful as a VAWA petition is based on a valid marriage! You can't be an abused "spouse" if your marriage was null and void! This is the reason why fighting an annulment is highly recommended! 

However in the case of an annulment after filing VAWA, it will be processed and perhaps approved since a VAWA case doesn't require an interview.. USCIS may not realize that your marriage has been annulled. Now what gets you in trouble is the greencard application because of the likely event of an interview!!! You'll then need to explain why your marriage was annulled and immigration officials may deny your greencard application because your marriage is now null and void. It will be hard to prove you entered the marriage in good faith if it no longer existed!!! My sincere advice is always to fight an annulment at all cost!💁 To be fore warned they say, is to be fore armed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Dear friends 

I have  a question that my VAWA was approved in the month of Jan 2020 now I am planning to file for the renewal of c31 work authorization next month and will pay the fees of $485 dollars.

Moreover my c09 work authorization along with advance parole is going to expire in the month of March 2020 

so the question is if I applied for the work authorization under c31 next month Ie August 2020 and then  later on after 2 month Ie in the month October 2020  applied for the work authorization under c09 with advance parole will the USCIS  renew both the work authorization Ie first the work authorization under c31 category and then later on c09 with advance parole the combo card.

need some suggestions 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Braveheart123 said:

Dear friends 

I have  a question that my VAWA was approved in the month of Jan 2020 now I am planning to file for the renewal of c31 work authorization next month and will pay the fees of $485 dollars.

Moreover my c09 work authorization along with advance parole is going to expire in the month of March 2020 

so the question is if I applied for the work authorization under c31 next month Ie August 2020 and then  later on after 2 month Ie in the month October 2020  applied for the work authorization under c09 with advance parole will the USCIS  renew both the work authorization Ie first the work authorization under c31 category and then later on c09 with advance parole the combo card.

need some suggestions 

In my opinion, I would not renew both C31 and C09.  Choose one to renew with AP.  You can have AP with C31  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, DeadliftingDad said:

I was wondering if someone could offer any insight about my current situation

I have my I-130/I-485 spouse visa (I believe it is a IR-1, since we have been married for over two years when the paperwork has been submitted).  Though I want to apply for VAWA and get out this situation that I'm in.  If I apply for VAWA, what happens to my current AoS?  Can I get my EAD/AP for through my spousal visa and start working while my VAWA case is pending?

You should attend your AOS interview and ask the officer to put your AOS on hold because you filed VAWA, sometimes they put on hold. If they decide not to put on hold they will deny the AOS and then you just need refile a new one right after the denial.If you moved to a different place inform the USCIS your new address in your AOS petition.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

In my opinion, I would not renew both C31 and C09.  Choose one to renew with AP.  You can have AP with C31  

How come I can apply c31 with advance parole Since I have 2 different card one is under c31 and the other one is a combo with c09 and advance parole 

Timeline
On 7/17/2020 at 8:24 PM, Verdy2019 said:

Hi Everyone, I wanted to ask a question please. I  filed my VAWA and Adjustment of status paperwork last year but I lost my I485 receipt. How can I get another copy from USCIS? I need it to apply for my drivers license. 

I hope you are all doing well. 

You have to ask USCIS to issue a new one, most likely they will not issue a new one, they are very messy.

Timeline
On 7/17/2020 at 8:57 PM, alena25 said:

Hi everyone! Happy weekend! I had 2 quick questions to all of you. My husband once again has been uncooperative and refused to provide information to my employer. But we’re still married and I think he’s waiting to divorce me as he’s firm is going through an acquisition and he doesn’t want any problems with it at the moment. 
For VAWA, is it more beneficial that I start the divorce proceedings? I was waiting until after I file the petition. 

Also, he made me have a very unfair prenup..I wonder if it could be overturned at least to get compensated for some of my struggle. 

You don't need to be divorced to submit the I-360 petitioN. It's very difficult to  overturn a prenuptial agreement, you need a good attorney.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.