NYCGirl1993

Removal of Conditions Delay

13 posts in this topic

Hi Immigrant Family, 

I filed my ROC I-751 in February 2019 as soon as I was eligible to file. My 2-year green card expired in May 2019 and I received an 18 months extension letter from USCIS back then. In March 2020 I was notified that I would be scheduled for an interview with USCIS for ROC. Then COVID happened and no interview has been scheduled since March. My extension letter is valid only until November 2020, which is when the 18 months will be up. Since I doubt an interview will be scheduled anytime soon, what should I do to ensure that my extension letter doesn't expire in November? Do I need to file for an extension of the extension?

I'd be so grateful for any advice on this. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
13 minutes ago, NYCGirl1993 said:

Hi Immigrant Family, 

I filed my ROC I-751 in February 2019 as soon as I was eligible to file. My 2-year green card expired in May 2019 and I received an 18 months extension letter from USCIS back then. In March 2020 I was notified that I would be scheduled for an interview with USCIS for ROC. Then COVID happened and no interview has been scheduled since March. My extension letter is valid only until November 2020, which is when the 18 months will be up. Since I doubt an interview will be scheduled anytime soon, what should I do to ensure that my extension letter doesn't expire in November? Do I need to file for an extension of the extension?

I'd be so grateful for any advice on this. 

I believe you still have about 5 months before the expiration of your extension letter. I would suggest you call and ask to speak with a Tier 2 officer. Some people got approval this past few days, maybe yours might be in line. 

If your extension letter expires before you get the interview scheduled, you can get an I-551 stamp on your passport -that serves as GC- at your local USCIS office. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

There are tons of people in your situation, people who filed back in 2018 even. Just check the ROC threads for each month and you will see how many from late 2018 are still waiting. 

There is nothing you can do to prevent your extension letter from expiring. It will expire, and that's it. 

If you feel that you nee proof of your status in the US you can call USCIS when you have 30 days or less left on your extension letter. You ask for an infopass. At the infopass you can have your passport stamped with an I-551 stamp. That stamp is proof of your status just like a greencard is.

Also remember, just because your extension letter expires doesn't mean you lose your status. It only means that the proof of your status expires.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, Scandi said:

There are tons of people in your situation, people who filed back in 2018 even. Just check the ROC threads for each month and you will see how many from late 2018 are still waiting. 

There is nothing you can do to prevent your extension letter from expiring. It will expire, and that's it. 

If you feel that you nee proof of your status in the US you can call USCIS when you have 30 days or less left on your extension letter. You ask for an infopass. At the infopass you can have your passport stamped with an I-551 stamp. That stamp is proof of your status just like a greencard is.

Also remember, just because your extension letter expires doesn't mean you lose your status. It only means that the proof of your status expires.

So I am pretty much in the same situation. The way I understand it is as soon as your extension letter expires - the burden is not on the applicant BUT on USCIS to prove that you are NOT worthy of the 10 yr GC. You still are legally staying here BUT without proof, is this correct? My worries are employment, in case HR wants proof and traveling when the letter has expired

Edited by jaya_razz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
25 minutes ago, jaya_razz said:

So I am pretty much in the same situation. The way I understand it is as soon as your extension letter expires - the burden is not on the applicant BUT on USCIS to prove that you are NOT worthy of the 10 yr GC. You still are legally staying here BUT without proof, is this correct? My worries are employment, in case HR wants proof and traveling when the letter has expired

If HR wants proof you schedule an infopass and get a stamp in your passport. And if you travel overseas without any proof of your status changes are you won't be able to board the plane back to the US again.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My letter Expired, I got a stamp. It was no issue. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Timeline
2 hours ago, cammi9988 said:

Did they keep your expired green card in exchange for the stamp?

No. I still have the expired card, expired letter and a stamp in passport that expires April 2021. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 9:53 PM, Thegirl said:

My letter Expired, I got a stamp. It was no issue. 

How did you do it? My letter expires in 3 weeks. I called and asked for an appointment, then they called me back saying they only do appointments for emergencies, and an expired letter isn't an emergency. They said my status doesn't expire. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, BRgirlUS said:

How did you do it? My letter expires in 3 weeks. I called and asked for an appointment, then they called me back saying they only do appointments for emergencies, and an expired letter isn't an emergency. They said my status doesn't expire. 

Same process but I had an emergency. They are correct, an expired letter alone is not enough for an appointment. You'll need to have a reason such as upcoming travel, starting a new job etc that requires it. 

When I said it was no issue I think I was responding to somebody else I didn't tag them! Don't remember now what they were asking. 

Edited by Thegirl

13 hours ago, Thegirl said:

Same process but I had an emergency. They are correct, an expired letter alone is not enough for an appointment. You'll need to have a reason such as upcoming travel, starting a new job etc that requires it. 

When I said it was no issue I think I was responding to somebody else I didn't tag them! Don't remember now what they were asking. 

How long did i take you to get an infopass appointment for the stamp? What was the process like?

I am in a similar situation. I too have an emergency (I got a new job offer and my 18mo extension expires 2 weeks after starting the job)

In my first call to USCIS to get an appointment, I was told (by the Tier 1 person) that I would be contacted within 5 business days by a Tier 2 person to schedule the appointment. I never received a call.

I called again, spoke to the Tier 1 person, then 20 minutes later I received a call from a Tier 2 person, and they said I would receive a call back from someone to schedule the appointment. Going on 3 days and I still have not heard back.

Did either of those scenarios happen to you?

Timeline
6 hours ago, salomongun165 said:

How long did i take you to get an infopass appointment for the stamp? What was the process like?

I am in a similar situation. I too have an emergency (I got a new job offer and my 18mo extension expires 2 weeks after starting the job)

In my first call to USCIS to get an appointment, I was told (by the Tier 1 person) that I would be contacted within 5 business days by a Tier 2 person to schedule the appointment. I never received a call.

I called again, spoke to the Tier 1 person, then 20 minutes later I received a call from a Tier 2 person, and they said I would receive a call back from someone to schedule the appointment. Going on 3 days and I still have not heard back.

Did either of those scenarios happen to you?

I got a call back the same day with an appointment for the next day. This was NY and it was when offices were still closed. 

When I called I was told my situation was not considered an emergency (tier 2) but they'd still call my local office and request the appointment. When I got called back they said the office was willing to see me but it was for the very next day at 7am. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.