zochu

Australians Waiting For Interview at US Consulate Sydney

1,565 posts in this topic

Surely the Consulate is reopening in line with everything else, right? Hoping October 11? This has gone on forever!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again! 

I thought I'd send through an update/ask a question, as we all wait eagerly for interviews to resume. My husband (in Aus) and I (in US) had our DQ in July, and finally received an expedite approval in September. We are desperate for an interview date, but continue to receive the same generic email responses, which say that no interviews are taking place and guide us to the consulate general's social media platforms. These don't really offer any helpful updates. 

If anyone has any insight or has received any helpful correspondence, I'd love to know what they said! This indefinite waiting is beyond frustrating, especially with borders potentially re-opening soon.

Hopefully they resume interviews this week and open with the rest of Sydney!

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by Taylor K

30 minutes ago, Taylor K said:

My husband (in Aus) and I (in US) had our DQ in July, and finally received an expedite approval in September.

How did you go about your expedite request, if you don't mind my asking? We sent one through my Congressman at the beginning of last week, but have yet to hear.

16 minutes ago, hctiwsblade13 said:

How did you go about your expedite request, if you don't mind my asking? We sent one through my Congressman at the beginning of last week, but have yet to hear.

Sure, no problem! It actually took a bit more effort than I thought. I think everyone is understaffed and overworked. I wrote a letter and sent to nvcexpedite@state.gov, with supporting documentation - medical letter from my GP, letter from my counselor, lease agreement (as my husband's lease is up in November), copied our attorney, etc. I received an automated message saying it takes up to 30 business days to process. So I waited before following-up, then ended up following-up because they never got back to me. I did contact my senator several times, and I think they may have helped. After my second email, I heard back in about 3 weeks that they had received, and then it was approved three days later. 

In your email, be sure to include

Names, Date of birth, Case Number, and Invoice Number

I'm not sure if that is super helpful, but I think the more evidence you have to support your case the better!

Edited by Taylor K

Tweet from @USConGenSydney today:

"We are moving to a new location and our move has been delayed by Covid-19. Our new location is not yet ready to open for public services, including visa appointments. We apologize if your plans have been affected."

Might be a bit more tedious, guys. Wish they would just give us a date.

• 2 weeks later...

Does someone have idea when the consulate is going to open? This process has been so frustrating  :(

Edited by Daniella Reina

5 minutes ago, Daniella Reina said:

Does someone have idea when the consulate is going to open? This process has been so frustrating  :(

There have been some developments. Looks like they’ll be transferring services to Melbourne while construction is finishing at the Sydney Consulate. 

See Consulate’s most recent post yesterday afternoon.

Would encourage anyone following this thread to follow the Sydney Consulate’s social media pages. 

13 minutes ago, hctiwsblade13 said:

There have been some developments. Looks like they’ll be transferring services to Melbourne while construction is finishing at the Sydney Consulate. 

See Consulate’s most recent post yesterday afternoon.

Would encourage anyone following this thread to follow the Sydney Consulate’s social media pages. 

Thank you!!! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow I am shocked!! 

5D4C0069-DB5E-463E-92A1-D369B710466D.jpeg

Our Timeline:

i29F Sent: 9/17/20

NOA 1: 9/21/20

RFE: 4/14/21

RFE Response Sent: 4/22/21

RFE Response Received: 4/26/21

NOA 2: 5/10/21

Interview Date: December 10, 2021

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, this thread is great! So glad I found it. New to my visa journey (either K-1 or CR1, still investigating which is most suitable for us).

I'm finding it hard to identify what the visa approval timeline looks like if I were to apply say today, please could you let me know what your experience has been? I know that the dreaded C word has slowed everything down. :(

Would it be reasonable to think 12months for either the K-1 or CR1? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, MavVisa said:

Hi All, this thread is great! So glad I found it. New to my visa journey (either K-1 or CR1, still investigating which is most suitable for us).

I'm finding it hard to identify what the visa approval timeline looks like if I were to apply say today, please could you let me know what your experience has been? I know that the dreaded C word has slowed everything down. :(

Would it be reasonable to think 12months for either the K-1 or CR1? 

Thanks!

Hi! We first submitted for CR1 back in October 2020 and are now waiting for our docs to be approved at the consulate after our interview. Its honestly hard to say if 12 months would be reasonable bc of delays. I would guess it may be slightly longer than that but I am always optimistic! 

22 hours ago, Waitingtoexhale12 said:

Hi! We first submitted for CR1 back in October 2020 and are now waiting for our docs to be approved at the consulate after our interview. Its honestly hard to say if 12 months would be reasonable bc of delays. I would guess it may be slightly longer than that but I am always optimistic! 

Thank you! Fingers crossed you receive approval soon!

7 minutes ago, Luciahidalgo said:

Could anyone tell me how long it took to get your passport back after your interview :)?

Thank you 🙏🏻

I interviewed on a Monday morning. Visa showed issued on the Wednesday evening, mailed with Aus Post express on Thursday. Received lunch time Friday morning. 

I was staying in a hotel two blocks from the consulate in Sydney so the mail was quick 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.