zochu

Australians Waiting For Interview at US Consulate Sydney

1,565 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

so happy to find this page and see people are getting processed!! My wife has been stuck in WA over 6 months now on working holiday visa. We received DQ from NVC on August 11 for our spouse visa.

Expediting on grounds of emotional hardship definitely seems applicable... Is an expedite request some sort of legit document i need to file? Or do I just shoot an email to the embassy ?

@vincentamosa It's just an email you send over! If you're applying on grounds of emotional hardship, there's nothing you need to provide except for a well crafted sob story email

nvcexpedite@travel.state.gov I believe

Edited by aus2tx

Timeline

For anyone flying out of New Zealand as an Australian citizen you don’t need a visa for entry to New Zealand period regardless of if it’s a layover or you have a short holiday before moving or decide to stay and work there for some unknown unforeseen reason.

If only USA was so accommodating to Aussies. 😂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
8 hours ago, vincentamosa said:

so happy to find this page and see people are getting processed!! My wife has been stuck in WA over 6 months now on working holiday visa. We received DQ from NVC on August 11 for our spouse visa.

Expediting on grounds of emotional hardship definitely seems applicable... Is an expedite request some sort of legit document i need to file? Or do I just shoot an email to the embassy ?

We got an automatic email from NVC to email this specific email address: sydneyiv@state.gov     A lot of other people have emailed this address also for their expedite. We are still waiting to hear back from them but I only emailed them on Thursday. 

Good luck 🌟

On 9/4/2020 at 7:25 AM, ChelseaLAllen said:

Hi Lovely People!

We sent through our expedite to the SydneyIV email address along with a doctors medical certificate just for extra leverage. Does anyone know how long it'll take for them to reply!? I am so nervous, my fingers and toes are crossed.

We applied for ours last month.  It took about 5 days for NVC to acknowledge the email and then about another 5 days for them to let us know that the expedite has been approved.  After than you can email the consulate (no phone calls) and ask them about the interview.  We were sent an email with 3 options relating to the timing of the interview.  Due to COVID-19 they were asking if we wanted to wait for 2 months.  We didn't choose that option, but asked for an interview after 21 September in order for us to get the required information together.  From our experience, they are only booking interviews 2 to 3 weeks out, so if you probably won't hear anything unless they offer you the options, or give you a date.   My interview is scheduled for 22 September.

Edited by Sharni

On 9/2/2020 at 11:34 AM, teeshainaus said:

We received the same email yesterday as well! Please update when you receive your interview date. We are trying to decide option 1 or 2. We are also in QLD, and have some commitments we can't get out of over the next couple months, which is an issue since my husband will have to 2-week quarantine at the moment. So we're interested to see how soon the appointments are when choosing option 1. (Saw the post of Qld-er getting an appointment THE NEXT DAY - #######, insane!) Feels crazy after ALL this time to postpone, but it might be our best option given the circumstances.

We received the same email but asked for a 3 week period to prepare.  They were only booking interviews for the next two weeks and I was put on the waiting list. Then a week later, received an email with the interview date. We're from Qld too, and I will have to go down alone and quarantine when I come back.

Edited by Sharni

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
21 hours ago, Sharni said:

We applied for ours last month.  It took about 5 days for NVC to acknowledge the email and then about another 5 days for them to let us know that the expedite has been approved.  After than you can email the consulate (no phone calls) and ask them about the interview.  We were sent an email with 3 options relating to the timing of the interview.  Due to COVID-19 they were asking if we wanted to wait for 2 months.  We didn't choose that option, but asked for an interview after 21 September in order for us to get the required information together.  From our experience, they are only booking interviews 2 to 3 weeks out, so if you probably won't hear anything unless they offer you the options, or give you a date.   My interview is scheduled for 22 September.

We just got our expedite approved on Friday -sounds like we can email them directly re: interview appointment date, I was wondering what's next so thanks!

Were they happy to schedule your interview before they received your case from the NVC? (approval note referenced it could take up to two weeks for Consulate to receive case file from NVC).

12th Mar 2019 -> I-130 Submited

1st Apr 2019 -> NOA1

16th Mar 2020 -> I-130 Approved!

12th May 2020 -> Case Received by NVC

1st June 2020 -> Paid AOS and IV fee via CEAC

1st July 2020 -> DS-261 and AOS submitted via CEAC

12th Aug 2020 -> Case Complete (Documentarily Qualified)

18th Aug 2020 -> Expedite Request Sent to NVC

11th Sept 2020 -> Expedite Request Approved

21st Sept 2020 -> Case received at Consulate

29th Sept 2020 -> Interview Appointment Email Received

1st Oct 2020 -> Medical completed in Sydney

6th Oct 2020 -> Interiew (Verbally confirmed as approved subject to receipt of medical)

1 hour ago, Botoole said:

We just got our expedite approved on Friday -sounds like we can email them directly re: interview appointment date, I was wondering what's next so thanks!

Were they happy to schedule your interview before they received your case from the NVC? (approval note referenced it could take up to two weeks for Consulate to receive case file from NVC).

When did you send out the email requesting the expedite interview?

1 hour ago, Botoole said:

We received advice from NVC on 21 August that the expedite was approved and that they would be sending the application to Sydney Consulate.  On 26 August Sydney Consulate office emailed me with the 3 options that has been discussed in previous threads, and they were happy to proceed.  I think the two week quoted could be for those situations where it's maybe a hard copy?  Being electronic, it doesn't take that long to be transferred.  Good luck with your interview date.   If it's still the same as what I've been noting in these posts, you may be offered the 3 options, one of which is to have the interview scheduled as soon as possible.  In one case, I read it was the next day.  We asked for a 3 week period and they worked it out for us.

13 minutes ago, Sharni said:

We received advice from NVC on 21 August that the expedite was approved and that they would be sending the application to Sydney Consulate.  On 26 August Sydney Consulate office emailed me with the 3 options that has been discussed in previous threads, and they were happy to proceed.  I think the two week quoted could be for those situations where it's maybe a hard copy?  Being electronic, it doesn't take that long to be transferred.  Good luck with your interview date.   If it's still the same as what I've been noting in these posts, you may be offered the 3 options, one of which is to have the interview scheduled as soon as possible.  In one case, I read it was the next day.  We asked for a 3 week period and they worked it out for us.

When did you send out the email asking for your interview to be expedited. How many days from the email request to the approval email 

Timeline
1 hour ago, PattyM24 said:

When did you send out the email requesting the expedite interview?

Expedite request sent Aug 18th

Receipt acknowledged Aug 24th

Expedite Approved Sept 5th

1st Apr 2019 -> NOA1

6th Oct 2020 -> Interiew (Verbally confirmed as approved subject to receipt of medical)

26 minutes ago, PattyM24 said:

When did you send out the email asking for your interview to be expedited. How many days from the email request to the approval email 

8 August - Email request sent to NVC (Saturday here, Friday there)

14 August - Acknowledgement email received 

21 August - Approval email received from NVC

25 August - Options email received from Consulate (responded with request for interview after 21/9)

27 August - Consulate advised no interviews scheduled past 15 Sept at this point

1 September - Consulate advised interview scheduled for 22 September

Number of days from 8 August to 21 August - 13 days

14 minutes ago, Sharni said:

8 August - Email request sent to NVC (Saturday here, Friday there)

14 August - Acknowledgement email received 

21 August - Approval email received from NVC

25 August - Options email received from Consulate (responded with request for interview after 21/9)

27 August - Consulate advised no interviews scheduled past 15 Sept at this point

1 September - Consulate advised interview scheduled for 22 September

Number of days from 8 August to 21 August - 13 days

Thank you! My friends husband emailed On Sept 2nd received a reply saying they would respond within 1-2 business days still haven’t heard back yet. So was wondering what the average time between the email request and approval was. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Sharni said:

Makes sense - thanks! I've dropped the Consulate an email pre-empting that choice so will see how we go.

1st Apr 2019 -> NOA1

On 9/5/2020 at 7:34 AM, AussieAmy said:

For anyone flying out of New Zealand as an Australian citizen you don’t need a visa for entry to New Zealand period regardless of if it’s a layover or you have a short holiday before moving or decide to stay and work there for some unknown unforeseen reason.

If only USA was so accommodating to Aussies. 😂

yes! My daughter (dual 🇺🇸 🇦🇺 )has to leave Aus on her US passport and needs a visa for NZ ... kill me 😂😑 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.