zochu

Australians Waiting For Interview at US Consulate Sydney

1,567 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, M2r13 said:

Thanks :) i hope I'll receive mine very soon. Do they email us when they mail the passports? 

no, but you will get an email the day the visa is printed. I got my email around 11am and by 6pm that day they posted it 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Husband's interview is suppose to be in in 8 hours but Auckland is going to Level Alert 3 and the embassy website says they are now closed :( Have to wait until the morning to see what is going on. Level alert 3 isn't effective until noon and his interview is at 8:30 in the morning.

USCIS

02/12/2020: Submitted I-130 online 🥳

02/12/2020 : NOA1 (Nebraska) - received online 02/13🤬

02/18/2020 : Mailed K3 ☘️

02/23/2020: Touched

02/23/2020: "Transfered" to Potomac

02/25/2020 : NOA1 (Potomac) K3

04/09/2020: RFE 😫

04/13/2020: RFE response sent 😬

05/04/2020: "Request for RFE evidence received by USCIS"

05/06/2020: Touched

06/15/2020: Touched

06/16/2020: "Case is Being Actively Reviewed by USCIS"

06/16/2020 : NOA2 (Potomac)

07/15/2020 : K3 denied

NVC

06/17/2020: Welcome Letter

06/18/2020: Paid AOS and IV fees 

07/03/2020: NVC expedite sent

07/07/2020: Submit everything to NVC

07/08/2020: Documentarily Qualifed (less than 24 hours!) 🥰

07/09/2020: NVC expedite in review

07/14/2020: NVC expedite approved!!🥳

Embassy

07/16/2020: Embassy received case

07/27/2020: Interview Letter

07/30/2020: Medical

08/12/2020 : Interview - cancelled due to alert Level 3 in Auckland :( 

09/16/2020: Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🥰🥳♥️👩‍❤️‍👨

09/17/2020: CEAC status says "Issued"🥳

09/18/2020: Visa in hand - flight booked!

09/24/2020 : POE

I-751 ROC

06/30/2022: NOA1 (MSC)

“Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.”🌏

2 minutes ago, B&ANZ said:

Husband's interview is suppose to be in in 8 hours but Auckland is going to Level Alert 3 and the embassy website says they are now closed :( Have to wait until the morning to see what is going on. Level alert 3 isn't effective until noon and his interview is at 8:30 in the morning.

I wouldn’t panic just yet.

relax.

I would like to think they would finish up today and then close. Might mean his visa/passport may be delayed, but the interview is what needs to happen. Fingers crossed he can still do this interview. 

💕

Our Visa Journey:

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

Heads up, it’s being reported now that the consulate will not schedule you for interviews if you say you’re from VIC. A friend had their case expedited, then asked for an available interview date around September b/c Covid/VIC and were told to contact the consulate again once restrictions went down.

13 hours ago, Lelly said:

I had the thought that if I can get an exemption to go visit my Fiance in the US and then upon my return I quarantine in Sydney, it might be the easiest way for me to get into NSW and stay there until my interview (I'm from VIC). I know it would be horribly expensive but we are so desperate. And if I got an expedited interview granted maybe it wouldn't be too long a wait in Sydney after quarantine. I would probably have to get my medical done before taking my trip to visit my fiance though. It's a bit of a joke that it would likely be easier for me to be granted an exemption to go to the US to help my fiance right now and then fly back through Sydney and have to quarantine there, than it would be for me to get into NSW from within Australia. 

Although I'm not sure if after the quarantine after returning from overseas if you would have to immediately catch a flight to your final destination that was on your ticket (in my case, VIC), or if you can just choose to stay in Syd. 

Very expensive... flights are so limited right now, pushing their cost through the roof.. last I checked a flight home for me one way was well over 5k and you’ll need a return ticket. 

while k1 is still ok to enter on esta you need to check if it’s still valid.. many esta have been cancelled due to the virus and you may need to reapply..

not sure how long it would take you to apply for the permission to leave Aus you still run the risk of being turned away at POE due to the virus, and regular conditions of entry - it’s well known here that the number of cases is on the up back home and that Vic has been segregated from the rest of the country pretty much.. —- and that you can’t leave the country without permission, they may ask to see the permission which will clearly say to visit fiancé and put you in a high risk category for AOS... CBC are on extra high alert right now for potential overstays due to the virus and EO’s and with pending k1 it will be hard to prove you have no intent.. 

not to mention you still have the costs of quarantine to cover on return to Aus and Hiawei have very strict quarantine at their end too... they’ve stopped heaps from entering 

i think you might just be better off waiting it out.. it’s a significant financial risk only to get turned away at the gate.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

i think you might just be better off waiting it out.. it’s a significant financial risk only to get turned away at the gate.. 

I'm also nervous about being bumped off a flight back to Australia again and again. Although if I made the trip 4 weeks or gives me a fair bit of wiggle room to get on a flight without overstaying.

Thank you for all your input. I was worrging about this all night. 

We've decided to watch the numbers over the next 1-2 weeks and hope we see some improvement. We've been in panic mode thinking the interstate border may stay closed until the end of the year. Things are just so fluid it's hard to know. Going to wait and watch a bit. Always so grateful for everyone's help. Thank you. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, aus2tx said:

Heads up, it’s being reported now that the consulate will not schedule you for interviews if you say you’re from VIC. A friend had their case expedited, then asked for an available interview date around September b/c Covid/VIC and were told to contact the consulate again once restrictions went down.

I wonder if this will also effect them granting an expedited interview right now if you're from VIC and put in the request now. Or if they'll assess it regardless of that and then just have it sit there waiting for an interview to be scheduled once restrictions have eased.

8 hours ago, aus2tx said:

I know of a man who is in the same position!! 

I wonder if people could “move” to NSW and live in an air bnb until their interview, visa is received and then leave Australia from there. 

🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Lelly said:

I wonder if this will also effect them granting an expedited interview right now if you're from VIC and put in the request now. Or if they'll assess it regardless of that and then just have it sit there waiting for an interview to be scheduled once restrictions have eased.

I don’t know, have you applied for the expedite yet? 

Our Visa Journey:

7 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

Very expensive... flights are so limited right now, pushing their cost through the roof.. last I checked a flight home for me one way was well over 5k and you’ll need a return ticket. 

while k1 is still ok to enter on esta you need to check if it’s still valid.. many esta have been cancelled due to the virus and you may need to reapply..

not sure how long it would take you to apply for the permission to leave Aus you still run the risk of being turned away at POE due to the virus, and regular conditions of entry - it’s well known here that the number of cases is on the up back home and that Vic has been segregated from the rest of the country pretty much.. —- and that you can’t leave the country without permission, they may ask to see the permission which will clearly say to visit fiancé and put you in a high risk category for AOS... CBC are on extra high alert right now for potential overstays due to the virus and EO’s and with pending k1 it will be hard to prove you have no intent.. 

not to mention you still have the costs of quarantine to cover on return to Aus and Hiawei have very strict quarantine at their end too... they’ve stopped heaps from entering 

flights are so limited. I’ve booked my flights but I am watching the same flight get cancelled everyday. 

Our Visa Journey:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, zochu said:

I don’t know, have you applied for the expedite yet? 

I haven't yet, I plan to soon. I would rather have it approved and sitting waiting to be scheduled. I'll absolutely update people here on what happens though.

Just now, Lelly said:

I haven't yet, I plan to soon. I would rather have it approved and sitting waiting to be scheduled. I'll absolutely update people here on what happens though.

I would apply for expedite ASAP. That way all your waiting for is them to contact you for an interview date.

then you can go get a Medical. I recommend the DR clinic in Melbourne CBD - NOT TOORAK. 

Our Visa Journey:

Timeline
3 minutes ago, zochu said:

flights are so limited. I’ve booked my flights but I am watching the same flight get cancelled everyday. 

Wow!!! I looked up flights yesterday (we were doing the sums for an in between trip for me). There were definitely less options than I had seen a few weeks ago but I had been pleasantly surprised that there were multiple flights that were a return ticket for me around $1200 (I was expecting way worse). But I didn't realise so many flights are getting cancelled on the way out too. Ugh. 

Timeline
Just now, zochu said:

I would apply for expedite ASAP. That way all your waiting for is them to contact you for an interview date.

then you can go get a Medical. I recommend the DR clinic in Melbourne CBD - NOT TOORAK. 

OH thank you for that heads up on the medical! Noted! 

And yep, going to apply asap. NVC asked me last week to email them documents about my case because they couldn't find it, but they have advised me they now have it! Phew! So I have been waiting on the number to send through the expedite request 😊 I should be good to go any day now (and I've drafted the email, although the situation on my fiance's end has continued to go from bad to worse so it has gone through a few edits now lol).

10 minutes ago, Lelly said:

Wow!!! I looked up flights yesterday (we were doing the sums for an in between trip for me). There were definitely less options than I had seen a few weeks ago but I had been pleasantly surprised that there were multiple flights that were a return ticket for me around $1200 (I was expecting way worse). But I didn't realise so many flights are getting cancelled on the way out too. Ugh. 

my flight was relatively well priced for me and our daughter (16m) but because everything is so uncertain, I’m expecting my flight to Auckland will be cancelled meaning I’ll miss my connecting flight. I hope that’s not the case ... but these are such uncertain times.

i really feel for those who have had their interviews cancelled. 

The Immigration process is hard enough without the added pressures and stress of a global health crisis 

Edited by zochu

Our Visa Journey:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lelly said:

Air New Zealand with transit through Auckland and then into Lax or SFO is my preferred choice right now. Or it’s United SFO to SYD or Qatar through Doha   The last two are looking like business class mostly and I’m seeing frequent cancellation with them also 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.