JER2020

N-400 July 2020 Filers (merged)

1,097 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2021 at 12:51 AM, J1student said:

Same as the other NYC person above, the interview was really chill, took probably 10/15 minutes max (out of which maybe 5 minutes are questions) 

Checked in then went into waiting room, officer called me in, asked for passport, green card, ID.

Then started civics questions right away. Questions: which group was brought to the US as slaves, what's Martin luther king jr known for, name 3 original states, how long we vote representatives for, name one branch of government, and when do we vote for president. 

Reading a sentence after that: "who was George Washington" then was asked to write back on the iPad "Washington was the first president" 

The officer then went through a few questions from the N400 form not all of them. Then asked about a speeding ticket I had noted on the form for the "have you ever been cited quest" 

Finally asked to confirm my info and said congrats and that's it. 

I did not show any documents at all. I uploaded a bunch to the website earlier: tax returns, birth certificate, marriage certificate etc. I applied under the 5 years rule. 

The experience was really smooth and if your case is "obvious", there is nothing to worry about, just go through the civics questions to make sure you get them right. 

You got your date for the oath ceremony? o your are still waiting

Hello everyone, just wanted to give an update here: I successfully passed my citizenship interview on May 27, 2021 at the NY Field Office (Federal Plaza)! Here's my timeline:

Submitted N400 - July 2020
- nothing for 7 months -
Biometrics Scheduled - February 2021
Biometrics Appointment - March 2021
Interview Scheduled - April 2021
Interview Appointment - May 2021
Oath Ceremony - June 2021

The interview went smoothly - I had a very pleasant and nice officer; first it was the civics test then the reading and lastly the writing test. Afterward, she asked me questions about my application (family, school, etc) as well as the Yes/No questions in Part 12 of the application. I let her know that I missed to mention an alias and she added it. I also clarified taxes and she said not to worry if you made below the threshold (I told her everything's up to date and that I do not owe any money). I brought all the documents I could think of but she only asked for my passport and my green card.

Overall, great experience!

Good luck to everyone in this journey! I'm wishing you all the best! :)
Edited by Prettygal1221

Hey guys, I passed my naturalization interview in NYC a week ago and it was a very pleasant experience - that day I also found out that I passed my board exams so I was pretty much on cloud 9! 🤩

So, this might be a silly question but I mentioned to the officer that I wanted to add a name that I forgot to put on the other names used part of the application. She did it for me and had me sign the changes at the end. Now I'm wondering if that's the name that will appear on my naturalization certificate (because I don't want that and I did not request for a name change). I somehow feel like I can't trust myself because I truly felt like I was floating in happiness that day. 😂

I have my oath ceremony coming up in a few weeks. Should my name on the certificate be different than what I want, can I have it corrected right then and there? Anyone with experience with this?

Thank you so much! 😄

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

@Mariela08 @J1student@Prettygal1221

Congrats to you all! Keep us posted on your oath ceremony dates and please fill out your immigration timelines if you can!

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
21 hours ago, Prettygal1221 said:

Hey guys, I passed my naturalization interview in NYC a week ago and it was a very pleasant experience - that day I also found out that I passed my board exams so I was pretty much on cloud 9! 🤩

So, this might be a silly question but I mentioned to the officer that I wanted to add a name that I forgot to put on the other names used part of the application. She did it for me and had me sign the changes at the end. Now I'm wondering if that's the name that will appear on my naturalization certificate (because I don't want that and I did not request for a name change). I somehow feel like I can't trust myself because I truly felt like I was floating in happiness that day. 😂

I have my oath ceremony coming up in a few weeks. Should my name on the certificate be different than what I want, can I have it corrected right then and there? Anyone with experience with this?

Thank you so much! 😄

Aliases are not legal names. They won't appear on your GC

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

3 hours ago, Timona said:

Aliases are not legal names. They won't appear on your GC

Thank you for your response! I'm probably stressing over nothing but it's a big day and I love my name lol hopefully it's all correct on the naturalization certificate 😄

16 hours ago, NYBEtt said:

@Mariela08 @J1student@Prettygal1221

Congrats to you all! Keep us posted on your oath ceremony dates and please fill out your immigration timelines if you can!

Thank you and absolutely! Can you post the link to the excel sheet so I can make the updates? I'm not sure where to find it. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
7 hours ago, Prettygal1221 said:

Thank you and absolutely! Can you post the link to the excel sheet so I can make the updates? I'm not sure where to find it. Thanks!

I was referring to the Visa Journey timeline, which helps people compare stats to others with similar timelines. If you look to the left of your posts, under your country's flag you will find the link "Timeline". Your specific link should be here: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=202913

As for the spreadsheet, pinging @Timona !

Edited by NYBEtt
Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Timeline

Here's the excel sheet @Prettygal1221

Thanks @NYBEtt

There is a spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UYpuRqSQkRAdX7Kr_nehvjsjCiNTyADPJ3CAc9qJHf4/edit?usp=sharing

Fill time-line, people

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Had my biometric appointment on 5/17/21 and two weeks later on June 3 I received my appointment notice scheduled for July 20, 2021. The appointment is for a peculiar early morning hour, 7:40 AM. I notice that that the Miami, Florida local field office opens at 6:AM.  Has anyone else noticed the hours of their local field office? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Sartre said:

Had my biometric appointment on 5/17/21 and two weeks later on June 3 I received my appointment notice scheduled for July 20, 2021. The appointment is for a peculiar early morning hour, 7:40 AM. I notice that that the Miami, Florida local field office opens at 6:AM.  Has anyone else noticed the hours of their local field office? 

Good luck. I would like to know what was the case completion estimate on your page of USCIS website ? 

Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.