thongho2910

Virtual Ceremony is now coming?

123 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In smaller oath ceremonies...How about a drive through pharmacy type oath ceremony? USCIS/judge inside the pharmacy, you in car, hand in gc/ N-445, take the oath, sign the NC and then next car, pls! I'll go with that if I had to. I would like the ceremony but I would prefer to be a USC much earlier. Anything can change really fast so I'll take the first opportunity that will give me.

Edited by xyz12345

1 hour ago, Hamido said:

In my district only the court has the exclusive authority to administer the oath of allegiance

That is true for residents of Minnesota. Residents of North Dakota and western Wisconsin can have naturalization ceremonies without the federal district court judge. Those residents have an administrative ceremony at the St Paul Field Office.

7 hours ago, xyz12345 said:

In smaller oath ceremonies...How about a drive through pharmacy type oath ceremony? USCIS/judge inside the pharmacy, you in car, hand in gc/ N-445, take the oath, sign the NC and then next car, pls! I'll go with that if I had to. I would like the ceremony but I would prefer to be a USC much earlier. Anything can change really fast so I'll take the first opportunity that will give me.

I like that idea! If they can't do virtual oath ceremonies let's do the ceremonies at the parking lot of USCIS office outside with every applicant sitting in its own car and can go through a line, drop the green card and pick up the certificate and leave the parking lot.

2 hours ago, Thelord said:

I like that idea! If they can't do virtual oath ceremonies let's do the ceremonies at the parking lot of USCIS office outside with every applicant sitting in its own car and can go through a line, drop the green card and pick up the certificate and leave the parking lot.

That's excellent idea!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, Thelord said:

yup agree that's why a drive through oath ceremony in USCIS parking lot might be the only option lol

Then the people without cars would cry discrimination and file a lawsuit through the ACLU lol 

2 hours ago, MotherofDragons said:

Then the people without cars would cry discrimination and file a lawsuit through the ACLU lol 

they can just get a Uber for a quick trip jeez lol

also while Walmart and Walgreens can immediately put a glass between all cashiers and customers, I think USCIS can also learn and make this happen instead of just go to freeze mode for a few months. I honestly think if there is no pressure on USCIS they will just sleep on all the cases until 2021 while collecting upfront fees $ now because this is not a priority for the government. The only pressure on them that can work is through congress and senators. So that's why it is important everyone reach out to their senators and representatives and urge them to push USCIS to implement procedures to deal with naturalization cases during this pandemic given the election month is coming.

another point regarding biometric appointments, in Florida to apply for concealed carry permit you can do it either in person biometric at their office where they take your fingerprints electronically and take your pictures, or instead you request a biometric card which they mail to you and you just put your fingerprints there with black innk then you sign the card in front of a notary and you also attach one passport photo and you can mail the package to them. USCIS should use the same approach to avoid face to face contacts with applicants and also avoid backlog.

another point regarding interviews, USCIS has the authority to conduct these interviews through phone or video confrence.

So to sum it up:

1- for biometric: post biometric cards to the applicants have them print their own fingerprint, sign in front of a notary and mail back to USCIS

2- for interviews: conduct through phone or video confrence

3- for oath ceremony: drive through at USCIS parking lot

1 hour ago, Thelord said:

or instead you request a biometric card which they mail to you and you just put your fingerprints there with black innk then you sign the card in front of a notary and you also attach one passport photo and you can mail the package to them

Devil's advocate here...

What's to stop somebody from using another person's fingerprints? The notary only verifies the person who signed the document is the person identified in the documents provided. They have no way to know if the fingerprints are from that same person or not unless they witness it themselves.

USCIS could probably figure it out given they have provided biometrics previously and it would be a mismatch, but then why biometrics are even needed again is the question if those prior ones are to be trusted still. 🤷‍♂️

But for conceal carry purposes, they likely have no way to know unless the person who provided the prints is in their system already. It seems more like a "catch some obvious cases but punish others later if they get caught" type of deal..

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

20 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Devil's advocate here...

What's to stop somebody from using another person's fingerprints? The notary only verifies the person who signed the document is the person identified in the documents provided. They have no way to know if the fingerprints are from that same person or not unless they witness it themselves.

USCIS could probably figure it out given they have provided biometrics previously and it would be a mismatch, but then why biometrics are even needed again is the question if those prior ones are to be trusted still. 🤷‍♂️

But for conceal carry purposes, they likely have no way to know unless the person who provided the prints is in their system already. It seems more like a "catch some obvious cases but punish others later if they get caught" type of deal..

actually those fingerprint cards can only be filled in front of someone else to certify as well. One can take it to any police station and they do it for you and send the card to them or sometimes the police station collect it digitally and forward.

every one of us who came to US got fingerprinted one way or the other way. I remember during my AOS process USCIS collected all 10 fingerprints. During visa interview they got all fingerprints and when I entered US for the first time they got all of my fingerprints. On top of that when I wanted to get Global Entry they also got all fingerprints. So they have a good collection of the fingerprints digitally anyway and I really don't even know what's the point of this re-doing of fingerprints. It's not like that your fingerprint change when you grow older or something. Their only purpose is probabely to confirm the identity of the person who is getting taken picture/signature as that picture will be used on the naturalization document. 

Edited by Thelord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If USCIS don't want to do the fingerprints then use LiveScan.  I don't know if this name is used just in California or US wide.  Here to volunteer at my kids school I had to do LiveScan.  In that process they take all 10 fingerprints using a machine similar to those at the airport.  I think they also took my photo.  That was all done at my local UPS store, which is operational (essential service).  So biometrics done with a quick 1/2 hour trip to my local UPS store.

8 minutes ago, Thelord said:

actually those fingerprint cards can only be filled in front of someone else to certify as well. One can take it to any police station and they do it for you and send the card to them or sometimes the police station collect it digitally and forward.

every one of us who came to US got fingerprinted one way or the other way. I remember during my AOS process USCIS collected all 10 fingerprints. During visa interview they got all fingerprints and when I entered US for the first time they got all of my fingerprints. On top of that when I wanted to get Global Entry they also got all fingerprints. So they have a good collection of the fingerprints digitally anyway and I really don't even know what's the point of this re-doing of fingerprints. It's not like that your fingerprint change when you grow older or something. Their only purpose is probabely to confirm the identity of the person who is getting taken picture/signature as that picture will be used on the naturalization document. 

Gotcha. That step was not n the earlier post...it implied you could just do it yourself (" you just put your fingerprints there with black innk"). So there is somebody in an authoritative area who verifies it at the time of collection as well. That fills the gap.

And yes, I'm familiar with the process. I had to do it multiple times for security clearances. Getting that ink off your fingers is a PITA. I'm so glad they do it digitally now.

Well, most people. Biometric collection is limited by age. It's possible for somebody to never had biometrics done previously, such as if they were a child (under 14 only) at the time of acquiring previous benefits.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Devil's advocate here...

It's easy to play devil's advocate when you have been approved.....right???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.