ie1059

I-551 stamp during Covid-19

16 posts in this topic

Hello all,

hope everyone is well and safe. 

My timeline:

Nov'18: i-751 filed, SRC

Apr'19: biometrics done

Nov'19: rfe for additional evidence, same time USC spouse left me and is living oustide US now.

Feb'20: responded to rfe and changed to waiver peitition, filed for divorce.

Feb'20: received 2nd rfe asking for final divorce decree. Deadline is end of May (unfortunately, missed the march 1st onwards auto 60 day extension due to covid-19 just by 1 day)

I-751 original 18 month extension expiring in June'20.

Spouse not cooperating with divorce in any way. I tried for agreed divorce, but no cooperation, spouse says doesn't want anything to do with it. Divorce attorney said no way divorce will be finalized before 2nd rfe deadline due to local court covid-19 delays.

I would need to get i-551 stamp so that I can continue to legally work even if i get denial if 2nd rfe deadline is missed. Since USCIS in-person appointements are closed, what is the best I can do? Any help/advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by ie1059

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, cd37 said:

Well uscis is planning to reopen for public on June 4. If they do open, you can schedule appointment right away and get your passport stamped.

I checked on their site and they no longer do infopass appointments online...I guess we can just go in then 

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, MASH said:

I checked on their site and they no longer do infopass appointments online...I guess we can just go in then 

You call USCIS to get an appointment for an infopass.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just yesterday (after June 4th USCIS opened up for taking in person appointments) attempted to get an in person appointment for ADIT/I-551 stamp via messaging a customer representative, via their virtual help "emma" software. See attached image regarding their response. They say that although from June 4th  in person appointments have started, they have decided to not accept appointments for ADIT stamps until further notice, we have to keep checking their website for updates on when they will start ADIT appointments once again.

uscis adit processing.PNG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
6 hours ago, ie1059 said:

Hello All,

Just yesterday (after June 4th USCIS opened up for taking in person appointments) attempted to get an in person appointment for ADIT/I-551 stamp via messaging a customer representative, via their virtual help "emma" software. See attached image regarding their response. They say that although from June 4th  in person appointments have started, they have decided to not accept appointments for ADIT stamps until further notice, we have to keep checking their website for updates on when they will start ADIT appointments once again.

If you need an emergency appointment you need to call and speak to a human. The online thing is automated. Though your job should not reverify you that's actually against the rules. They may or may not give you an appointment for the reason. 

USCIS Contact Center. Dial 800-375-5283 (for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability: TTY 800-767-1833)

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 6/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, ie1059 said:

Hello All,

On 6/6/2020 at 9:33 PM, Thegirl said:

If you need an emergency appointment you need to call and speak to a human. The online thing is automated. Though your job should not reverify you that's actually against the rules. They may or may not give you an appointment for the reason. 

USCIS Contact Center. Dial 800-375-5283 (for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability: TTY 800-767-1833)

USCIS Customer Service Phone Number:

more specifically, to reach a human:

dial 800-375-5283 and then press 1, then 2, then 2, then 2

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, ie1059 said:

Hello All,

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get an appointment for an emergency I551 stamp, if not I lose my work authorization and my job.  Have you had any luck getting a call back from a Tier 2 officer?  It's been 2 weeks, and I keep calling to get an update but they keep telling me that "I'm still in the scheduling q".  Is this normal?!

I would contact your congressional representative and ask them for help. Good luck. I imagine it's going to get worse when all the furloughs kick in.  

This will be an issue for me when mine expires in 3 months. The workaround is to get an unrestricted social security card but of course social security is totally closed! 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:31 PM, salomongun165 said:

Have you had any luck getting a call back from a Tier 2 officer? 

Unfortunately no.

They said to me that they are not accepting appointments for I-551/ADIT stamps. But from their website, I think they are accepting any other types of appointments. It's just patience game for people like in our situation. 

12 minutes ago, UKUSA said:

The workaround is to get an unrestricted social security card

Is there any way for me to find out if I have an unrestricted/restricted social security card?

If your SSN says valid for work auth with DHS authorization only it's restricted, if it says nothing it is not restricted.

I believe the workaround is only for employment authorization when used with a valid driver's license.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 6/25/2020 at 9:31 PM, salomongun165 said:

I have been trying for 2 weeks to get an appointment for an emergency I551 stamp, if not I lose my work authorization and my job.  Have you had any luck getting a call back from a Tier 2 officer?  It's been 2 weeks, and I keep calling to get an update but they keep telling me that "I'm still in the scheduling q".  Is this normal?!

You don't lose your work authorization because your extension letter expires and you shouldn't lose your job either. If you're doing ROC it means your card should not have any restrictions unless you came as K1 originally and didn't get it changed. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

13 hours ago, Thegirl said:

You don't lose your work authorization because your extension letter expires and you shouldn't lose your job either. If you're doing ROC it means your card should not have any restrictions unless you came as K1 originally and didn't get it changed. 

ROC extension letters require i-9 reverification upon expiry so you will lose your job if it is not renewed. It is described below in the last item:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/61-lawful-permanent-residents-lpr

Just wanted to give everyone an update -

I went to my Infopass appointment today and got a 6 month extension I551 stamp.  I asked for a 1 year extension and the officer said that since I have a pending N400 and I751, he was unable to give me a 1 year.  Note that I am aware my work authorization does not expire with my I797 but since I completed the I9 with an expired GC and I797 extension, my employer is legally allowed to re-verify me (although they have not mentioned it yet).  

Here's a timeline of how I finally got an appointment:

6/15:  Called 1 (800) 375-5283 and asked for an emergency Infopass.  Was told that I would get a call back from Tier 2 in 5 business days.

6/22:  Called USCIS number again and gave them Service Item # asking for status update.  I had waited 5 business days and got no call back.  Asked to be transferred to a Tier 2 officer

6/22:  Tier 2 officer called back within 20 mins.  He asked if I had the appropriate documents to demonstrate this emergent need, which I had a letter from my employer.  He said since my original Service Item from 6/15 had taken longer than 5 business days, he was going to make a new one for me.  This call was peculiar because he never gave me a new Service Item #.  I suspected that this call was going nowhere since I never received a new Service Item #, so I decided to call back on 6/26

6/26:  Called USCIS number and immediately asked to get transferred to Tier 2.  When speaking to Tier 2 officer, I quoted my first call on 6/15 and asked for a status update since I had never gotten a call back to schedule the appointment.  She gave me a new Service Item # and said to wait for a call back.

6/26:   Got a call back from Tier 2 officer on the same day.  Asked the same questions about why I needed the appointment and he said that I will need to send in my documents and evidence to determine if I can be scheduled for the appointment.  I sent everything in on the same day.

-Proof of employment (mandatory required)

-Letter detailing employment, educational/medical/public benefit or a similar impactful basis (required)

-Copy of expired temporary resident card (if you are in possession of this document)

-USCIS letter showing the I-751 additional 18-month extension has expired. 

-Copy of the bio page of their Passport (if they have it)

-Full name, phone number, alternate phone number, and email address of the applicant.

6/30:   Got a call from USCIS to schedule the appointment.  

7/2:  Went to appointment and for I551 stamp

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

I did not have a chance to update this thread earlier, however, recently the job I got (after being laid off due to covid) did not ask for greencard specifically, i gave them a copy of the driver's license and social security card copy, which was sufficient for them.

Unfortunately, my wallet got lost at a gas station, and it had my credit cards and driver's license in it.

The TX DMV office requires that I show a current permanent residency proof in order to get a new driver's license. On calling the 1-800 number and talking to a person, driver's license is not an urgent request and they won't give me an appointment, unless it is for work or family medical emergency abroad for travel. 

What should I do now?

This driver's license is the same that I submitted as part of the I-751 evidence. Will getting a new license (tx changed the design of the license card) affect my application if they ask me to show original? (I am called for an interview, not scheduled yet)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.