RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

I am also considering a few islands in the Caribbean as these would be a very practical mid-way stop point before coming to the USA. Bermuda, Bahamas, Curacao, Antigua, St. Marteen are all viable options except one thing - they are all not accepting any passengers. But they all have a tourist driven economy and are just as much anxious to get back to business as anyone could be.  And, a vacation before coming to USA - beautiful beaches! I will let you if I get any positive news in their lifting restrictions. 

May 1 or the first week in May is in many places a new beginning in phasing out of restrictions.

To get an idea of where are flights going to is to go to the international travel airport website and see what flights are currently leaving to which destination. That could give you an idea of where is travel going to. 

Another thing is be careful about booking a flight too much in advance. I had a flight booked on Swiss Air and it was canceled. The airline told asked if I want to rebook or a refund. I requested a refund and I have not seen it yet. I called and they told me the refund will take longer than usual. That means airlines are hurting and they will hold on to cash as long as possible. I would be sure that things look good before booking a flight. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, RD7712 said:

Hello all, I have looked into the following countries other than Mexico: 

Turkey. They have a bit of corona virus outbreaks and have some restriction in place including some curfews in the weekends, but it does not look like they will be facing a travel ban. They have good relationship with USA as they just recently sent medical supplies to the USA and the USA President appreciated the gifts. I read a couple of days ago that they may be offering medical certificates as a way to assure travelers to coming to Turkey and leaving with proof of being virus free. Currently however, their national airline Turkish air seems grounded for most of May. I will follow up as things change every day.

There is Belarusa which is not part of the travel ban. They do not make you quarantine, but will take your temperature and will quarantine if found with infection as they do tests right there in the airport. So far from what I have read, you can go about pretty much normal as it can be. The downside is I do not know what relationship it has with the USA. I recently read that some German citizen was denied a B visa and was turned down because of a visit to Belarusa. So, may not be not be the best place to go at the moment. Also, no direct flights to the USA. You would have to transit through Armenia, or Tel Aviv and honestly sounds to risky and painful to seriously consider. 

There is Dubai that is currently phasing out of lockdown. No travel ban there. But flights may be an issue at the moment and there may be still some restriction, but hopefully not for long. I would consider this. I am regularly reading the local news.

South Korea. You would have to quarantine there for 14 days at $100 a day and the facility assigned by the government. 

For information on the current situation in a particular country - i just do a Google search for the local newspaper.

For information on the status of air travel - I Google air travel news, or international travel news to get a sense of what are airlines up to. Things change everyday. I get a sense that airlines need to get traveling before they sink beyond the point of no return, and rely on what the governments are doing in terms of safety and bailout money available. 

You can also Google the main international airport you are considering and get into their official website. There you will find information on the current situation, if you are able to travel there or not, what are the procedures, etc. 

I will post any enlightening information I come across.

I am also a bit nervous of my fiancee waiting it out because I don't currently see any promising news of international travel news between Europe and the USA by June. Tentative dates for things to get start up gets pushed back and it is just a mystery for them as for us. I see many of you, like my fiancee's K1 visa expires in July so by June something has to give, or even earlier.

Oh wow I reall really appreciate that input!!! Thanks so much!! I will follow your advise and check up on those websites and see, what I can do. I had no idea that turkey wasn’t restricted ?!! I would feel way more comfortable about turkey than mexico.. however, if your fiancé is planning her trip, id love to hear about her plans if you don’t mind sharing that info! I am pretty determined to go at this point!! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, RD7712 said:

I am also considering a few islands in the Caribbean as these would be a very practical mid-way stop point before coming to the USA. Bermuda, Bahamas, Curacao, Antigua, St. Marteen are all viable options except one thing - they are all not accepting any passengers. But they all have a tourist driven economy and are just as much anxious to get back to business as anyone could be.  And, a vacation before coming to USA - beautiful beaches! I will let you if I get any positive news in their lifting restrictions. 

May 1 or the first week in May is in many places a new beginning in phasing out of restrictions.

To get an idea of where are flights going to is to go to the international travel airport website and see what flights are currently leaving to which destination. That could give you an idea of where is travel going to. 

Another thing is be careful about booking a flight too much in advance. I had a flight booked on Swiss Air and it was canceled. The airline told asked if I want to rebook or a refund. I requested a refund and I have not seen it yet. I called and they told me the refund will take longer than usual. That means airlines are hurting and they will hold on to cash as long as possible. I would be sure that things look good before booking a flight. 

Yes for sure!! That’s why I am trying to wait until mid/ end May!! If anyone on here is willing to travel with me, I’d love to have company. If we feel like it is a good idea. And thanks so much for sharing! Feels good to know that I’m not in this situation all alone and there are more people going through the same. I called and texted the uscis travel docs again today, but no one picked up or replied! Just sad. Good wishes to everyone 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Leah88 said:

Yes for sure!! That’s why I am trying to wait until mid/ end May!! If anyone on here is willing to travel with me, I’d love to have company. If we feel like it is a good idea. And thanks so much for sharing! Feels good to know that I’m not in this situation all alone and there are more people going through the same. I called and texted the uscis travel docs again today, but no one picked up or replied! Just sad. Good wishes to everyone 

Hey! I am waiting 4 weeks, then I will be doing this. Happy to buddy up and share the experience. Drop me a DM :) -

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 minute ago, Smokey Bear said:

Hey! I am waiting 4 weeks, then I will be doing this. Happy to buddy up and share the experience. Drop me a DM :) -

Waiting for about 4 weeks too! Let me know which country ya'll be traveling through. A 15 day wait in a foreign country is easier with company 😉

Timeline

I would leave Germany in the middle of June if the travel ban for Europeans will not be lifted by then. I don't care which country I would go to. But if someone wants to join me, I would appreciate that! The Bahamas sound great! And they are not really affected by the virus. Hopefully they will open up their borders soon.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Sarah84 said:

I would leave Germany in the middle of June if the travel ban for Europeans will not be lifted by then. I don't care which country I would go to. But if someone wants to join me, I would appreciate that! The Bahamas sound great! And they are not really affected by the virus. Hopefully they will open up their borders soon.

I would have to go by the end of May, early June. My visa is only valid until the 1st of July. But I’d love to go with someone!!! So yeah, text me if you’re interested. I’m a chill person and very entertaining 🥳

Timeline

I am looking everyday to see what is available. I would love to get my fiancee out. I am nervous that if her K1 expires that some proclamation may be added that they will not renew or something. Yes, great to go through the visa journey together!

Timeline
1 hour ago, RD7712 said:

I am looking everyday to see what is available. I would love to get my fiancee out. I am nervous that if her K1 expires that some proclamation may be added that they will not renew or something. Yes, great to go through the visa journey together!

That’s my concern as well!! And I really don’t want to just sit around over here with no job, nothing to do because everything is closed due to covid.. and then wait around for an extension AND pay for another medical!! (The embassy told me a few weeks back that an extension is possible, but I would have to pay for it). 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance has his interview at the London embassy in June, we're praying by July or August that the ban will be lifted and another one isn't in its place. 

Hi All, 

I've been following the thread as my German girlfriend currently has a J-1 visa and we're looking into alternative ways of getting her here just as many of you with K-1s are. 

I regularly following the Department of State's COVID page for J-1s and just stumbled upon the below eluding to the secondary proclamation that I know many of us are concerned will come out: 

"To that end, the Department recommends that sponsors ask hosts to promptly inform them of any changes in their plans. Also, there could be forthcoming Executive Orders that affect exchange visitors' ability to enter the United States. We will keep you apprised of any such changes."

I know we're in a different boat than most of you with K-1s (an exchange visitor program is definitely not the same thing as someone entering the country to marry their fiance) but wanted to share nonetheless. It's definitely not good news for me and my girlfriend :( I'm really hoping that J-1 Trainees are not barred from entering the country, that would be pretty devastating. I'm frustrated in that this is an exchange program and one of the qualifications for finding a role (my girlfriend will be training in Marketing) is that host companies cannot place someone in a role that would otherwise have been posted as a job. With that said, it's ludicrous that the orange monster is doing all of this in an attempt to "protect the american labor force" when exchange visitors have no impact on employment. 

Apologies for the rant but just needed to get that out. Sending you all my best and hope we'll be back with our partners sooner than later ❤️ 

Timeline

I saw some good news in Forbes about USA/Europe airline travel:

Spoiler

United Airlines UAL wants to make a strong return to China in June and will “pencil in” a relaunch of passenger service with four flights to three cities – Beijing, Chengdu, and Shanghai.

Japan is also seeing growth as United plans to resume three weekly Newark-Tokyo Narita flights.

In contrast to Asia’s growth, United is further reducing many European flights this summer, but will add three weekly San Francisco-Frankfurt flights on June 4 and three weekly Newark-Paris services on June 5.

I am not sure if this move by United is based on some indications they are receiving from the US government that in June things could be open. But it is worth to keep on eye out for. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, RD7712 said:

I saw some good news in Forbes about USA/Europe airline travel:

Hide contents

United Airlines UAL wants to make a strong return to China in June and will “pencil in” a relaunch of passenger service with four flights to three cities – Beijing, Chengdu, and Shanghai.

Japan is also seeing growth as United plans to resume three weekly Newark-Tokyo Narita flights.

In contrast to Asia’s growth, United is further reducing many European flights this summer, but will add three weekly San Francisco-Frankfurt flights on June 4 and three weekly Newark-Paris services on June 5.

I am not sure if this move by United is based on some indications they are receiving from the US government that in June things could be open. But it is worth to keep on eye out for. 

Thanks for giving me a bit of hope on this otherwise shitty day!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.